• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

$80k-$120k careers/jobs in Southeast ? just curious....

Matt O. said:
IT Management and/or IT consulting is good field to be in. Their is a lot of project management required in the industry and you could use your Business Mgmt degree. As someone with a Business Mgmt degree I can tell you they are worthless. I looked at ways to specialize myself, so I chose to get an MBA in IT Mgmt and I have since focused on a specific technology (Microsoft SharePoint). The technology focus has been critical to success for me, because I have become an expert in the product. I work for an IT Consulting company and I used my technology focus to sell and implement SharePoint for clients. I now manage a group of 10 SharePoint consultants and my team is responsible for delivering all projects using SharePoint for my company.

My point is a non-specialized degree is pretty much worthless. You have to gain specialization in an area that interests you. Many people achieve specialization through their degree (Accounting, Engineering, Architecture, Law, Medical, etc.), so if you don't go that route find something you are passionate about and commit!

Slight thread derail-how hard is it to switch over to SharePoint? Our Accounting office (only 4 users) has been trying to switch over for at least a month and the IT guy we use makes it seem like the hardest thing possible for him to. Then again he only wants to discuss computer issues via text messages and remote access. Never on site visits.

Back to the thread, I agree with MattO and others comments about a business management not being very useful. Had a professor in college that said "that a business management degree is the Education degree of the Business Departments. Unless you specialize or get a Master's you are as qualified as everyone else whether degreed or not."

I think it is possible to find such a job in that salary range you are looking for, but with this tight economy, they are few and far between. Hopefully once the election is over, the small businesses will start hiring and spending money again. Depending on how the election goes, we have had several clients tell u they aren't spending a dime if :afro: gets reelected.

ridered3 said:
Slight thread derail-how hard is it to switch over to SharePoint? Our Accounting office (only 4 users) has been trying to switch over for at least a month and the IT guy we use makes it seem like the hardest thing possible for him to. Then again he only wants to discuss computer issues via text messages and remote access. Never on site visits.

I am sure the guy is a one person shop or he does it on the side correct? I could have it implemented in a day or two, just depends on what all you want. It is a very easy software to implement and use.

Re: Re: Re: $80k-$120k careers/jobs in Al/Tn?? just curious....

Bones said:
How does one make that jump with no sales experience? Civil Engineering here since 1993 and am bored to death daily in Cubtopia.

Be charismatic and have good interpersonal skills.

Everyone that started in sales had no experience at one time...

I'm the opposite, took a sales job right after engineering school (Mechanical engineering)... Now i'm thinking about looking for an engineering job so I don't have to travel 3-4 days a week.

problem is, I'd most likely have to take a pay cut for a year or 2 because I don't have much engineering experience, and have been out of it for 3 years, so I'd be in an entry level position.

Matt O. said:
I am sure the guy is a one person shop or he does it on the side correct? I could have it implemented in a day or two, just depends on what all you want. It is a very easy software to implement and use.

Yeah he is a one man shop. Works full time as IT for a telemonitoring business, but is really screwing over his existing clients that were with him before the full time job. Ill mention yall to my boss when he gets back if ya'll would be interested in a client in Middle, TN.

ridered3 said:
Yeah he is a one man shop. Works full time as IT for a telemonitoring business, but is really screwing over his existing clients that were with him before the full time job. Ill mention yall to my boss when he gets back if ya'll would be interested in a client in Middle, TN.

We have offices in Nashville and Chattanooga. Should not be a problem. We do a lot of work for clients both big and small.

Re: $80k-$120k careers/jobs in Al/Tn?? just curious....

InDaShop said:
Sorry to pee in your wheeties this AM, but I hate Siemens.

Jeezus tits..... :flipoff1: Guess that could explain why our Plant manager of nearly 10 years left and went to work for Mitsubishi. molaugh

This plant is one of the BEST plant jobs within miles of where I live, so obviously I've been biased toward Siemens. They held my job for the 11 months I was down after my bike wreck with paid disability and excellent insurance for hospital bill coverage as I racked up close to 3/4 mil worth :****:. Great company to work for, just don't buy our ****.... :flipoff1:

To switch gears a little bit, I had a checkup at my prosthetic Dr. (Fourroux Prosthetics) yesterday and upon my arrival, I was approached by one of the guys I know well from there with a possible job offer. He explained that they are seriously considering expanding and would be looking for amputees first, to hire for "marketing". He didn't elaborate too much on exact job detail, but we discussed my annual pay, benefits, retirement, college cost reimbursement, and other perks....and he said benefits/retirement/college reimbursement would be pretty much the same, and start out pay would easily be what I make now or more. SOOOO, needless to say I'm extatic about that, but don't wanna get my hopes up yet because it's not something that is going to happen overnight. I think it will be a good move, Fourroux is the best in the business around here (and I don't give a **** who wants to argue that lol), they have a very intelligent staff and owner, and a bright future in the right direction. ....plus ppl's always gonna be losin' limbs and **** laughing1

Bones said:
How does one make that jump with no sales experience? Civil Engineering here since 1993 and am bored to death daily in Cubtopia.

I specialized in Diagnostic Imaging renovation and hospital renovation. When Philips went looking for a technical expert to handle MRI issues concerning site readiness in North America I jumped at it . Just got lucky I guess. Best Job I could imagine.

InDaShop said:
Josh, I can see you saying "I'm not just the president, I'm also a client!"

I would want to make vulgar commercials. "Come to Fourroux and we'll get you back to kickin' ass and takin' names....that's what I did." thumb.gif

molaugh

TacomaJD said:
And also for what it's worth, I work for Siemens in the Energy Division. While scouting for jobs, if you run across anything with Siemens, I would highly consider it if it's in your desired pay scale. Siemens has several different divisions...Energy, Wind Power, Healthcare, Electronics, etc. Or anything related to power plants or power companies. Ppl are always gonna need power.....so there's job security there if you can land a job. Siemens has done WELL through this shitty economic slump America has endured over the past several years. Siemens is a German based company and most all divisions of the company are international businesses. International customers means more business aside from only relying on the American clients. thumb.gif

I just changed jobs earlier this year and the company i now work for makes ALOT of parts for Siemens. Storm Copper is the name of the company.

I'd hate to know the net worth of all the copper in our plant. That's all we work with. We build the stator and rotor components for power plant generators and ship probably 70% of it to our brother plant in Charlotte. The rest ships directly to sites both domestic and international where generators are being assembled by field engineers. We actually had some truck drivers team up one night and steal nearly $20k worth of copper rotor straps off of a coil truck.... like we wouldn't know where the **** went :wtflol:

I also work for Siemens been here going on 6 years as a buyer. I work in the aftermarket/repair parts side for breakers, regulators, and transformers. It has always amazed me the age of some of this equipment that is still in service today. It's nothing for me to be looking for a replacement part made back in the 60's or 70's, with some being much order then that. The problem with Siemens is they are into so much stuff so I'm sure sometimes they do get a bad name.

As for as pay & benefits I believe they are very fair and good to people that work for them. Who doesn't want more pay but for this MS country boy with no college degree I feel I'm doing OK. A lot of the people I work with have been with them for 20-30+ years.

Before Siemens I worked for Visteon (tier 1 supplier to Nissan) pay was good but I hated it. The automotive industry wasn't for me.

TacomaJD said:
I would want to make vulgar commercials. "Come to Fourroux and we'll get you back to kickin' ass and takin' names....that's what I did." thumb.gif

molaugh
You the Man, Josh. Sorry, I meant to say President.

Ghost said:
I also work for Siemens been here going on 6 years as a buyer. I work in the aftermarket/repair parts side for breakers, regulators, and transformers. It has always amazed me the age of some of this equipment that is still in service today. It's nothing for me to be looking for a replacement part made back in the 60's or 70's, with some being much order then that. The problem with Siemens is they are into so much stuff so I'm sure sometimes they do get a bad name.

As for as pay & benefits I believe they are very fair and good to people that work for them. Who doesn't want more pay but for this MS country boy with no college degree I feel I'm doing OK. A lot of the people I work with have been with them for 20-30+ years.

Before Siemens I worked for Visteon (tier 1 supplier to Nissan) pay was good but I hated it. The automotive industry wasn't for me.

These damn Hardline fawkers are bout like women, always got something bad to say about everything :flipoff1: Siemens obviously builds quality **** or it wouldn't be such a successfull corporation. Sure they aren't number 1 in everything, but everybody can't be number 1 molaugh And you're right, they treat their employees WELL and make it a point to ensure they are happy with their job atmospheres.

Guess I am more interested about people in sales/sales management or purchasing/procurement fields since most of my background is in sales and management. What industry are you guys in?

TacomaJD said:
These damn Hardline fawkers are bout like women, always got something bad to say about everything :flipoff1: Siemens obviously builds quality **** or it wouldn't be such a successfull corporation. Sure they aren't number 1 in everything, but everybody can't be number 1 molaugh And you're right, they treat their employees WELL and make it a point to ensure they are happy with their job atmospheres.

You can't have two numbers 1's cause that would be number 11...

zayne2427 said:
Guess I am more interested about people in sales/sales management or purchasing/procurement fields since most of my background is in sales and management. What industry are you guys in?

I"m a "Lubrication Engineer" (sales) for JAX INC (see sig).

Our main business is food grade industrial lubricants (I chase chickens and bread all over the southeast)