• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

81 Toyota With Issues

wentz912

So I have an 85 22R in my 81 Toyota. Everything was grand until I went wheeling in it this past saturday. Had to ford a couple pretty deep holes and as one would expect, lots of stuff under the hood got wet.

No big deal right? Pull dizzy cap off, make sure everything is dry, check all the plug wire connections and stuff and make sure everything is kosher and off we go.

As we get to the end of the trail it starts running like absolute poo. Takes cranking on it forever and using carb cleaner in the bowls to get it going, won't run at all unless choke is pulled all the way out. (Got a 32/36 DGV Weber on it.) Barely make it home.

Check everything again, all connections are good. Dizzy is dry. Scuff the end of the rotor and each of the terminals inside the cap. Pull the plugs and check them out. They are a little carbon fouled from the rich condition of having to have the choke pulled all the way out, so I clean them up with some emmery paper. Switched out the plug wires for some other ones I had laying around the shop. Cant find any vacuum leaks when I do have it running long enough to check. I tore apart the carb, everything looks to be ok to my totally untrained eye. Ran a welders tip cleaner through the jets and used a ton of carb cleaner to get out any junk that might have been in there.

Stuck the carb back on, got it to start off of some carb cleaner, with choke all the way out still. Still missed throughout the RPM range.

Also, while driving down the road at a steady speed, it will misfire and the tach will jump all over the god damn place, and the truck lurches pretty good. Get the occasional back fire. Can't tell if it's from carb or exhaust end though. Probably some of both.

As a side note, everything else seems fine, normal oil pressure, temp gauge reads where it normally does, alternator is still putting out the same amount of juice it always has.

Looking for some advice on what to look at next. Thinking possibly a bad igniter? How do I check the damn thing before I go and drop the $110 or however much the damn things cost? I know they aren't cheap.

This is my daily driver so I really need to get it back on the road.

Double check all your grounds are clean and connected including the ground from the head to the firewall.

I don't think so, not really sure where the vent lines for the tank are though. Is there an easy way to drain just the water out of the tank? I got down to about a quarter tank on my dash gauge while I was out wheeling and filled back up with fresh gas and a bottle of fuel system cleaner on my way back to the house.

I don't think so, not really sure where the vent lines for the tank are though. Is there an easy way to drain just the water out of the tank? I got down to about a quarter tank on my dash gauge while I was out wheeling and filled back up with fresh gas and a bottle of fuel system cleaner on my way back to the house.

just pull your fuel line off the output side of the pump and turn over the rig till you fill up a clear soda bottle with fuel. Look at it to see if it has any water sitting in the bottom, under the gas.

If it does then you got gas in your mud.

If not, then move on to another item like the cat.

So I've been working on it a bit, and put a new set of plugs into it, and it fired right up and ran fine. Not too long after it warmed up to normal operating temperature, it started having the same issues again and hasn't started since. I can't think of what would be temperature affected that would be causing this.

Possibly the ignitor/coil assembly? Just after it died I pulled the dizzy end of the wire that goes from coil to dizzy just far enough that I would be able to see/feel the arc. Saw nothing. Does this get me anywhere?

That bucking you were talking about earlier sounds a lot like a fuel issue. How much of that fresh gas have you run through?

I'm not sure. less than a quarter tank, the tank currently reads right about where I would normally be hitting the 50-60 mile mark on my trip meter, and at ~17mpg that would put me at roughly 3 gallons short of full.

And as far as the bucking goes, if the coil/igniter was cutting out due to heat, wouldn't I get the same result? And isn't the tach also driven by the coil? Which would explain why the tach jumps all over the place when the bucking/missing occurs??

Does anybody have a cheap source for a coil if I end up needing one? I know that the yare definitely not cheap anywhere here in town.

Were u located?

Check ur cap ive cracked 2 this past yr right at the bolts that hold it...

You either have spark or ya don't....