• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

'84 yota long bed build

couldn't imagine why it looks familiar. :hi:

not much else is done yet. waiting on some checks from the gov't and insurance. project standby, needing money. selling the subaru also, so i can dump more into the toyota.

well a small update. after a long battle with the Department of Defense and the Veteran's Administration to get my payments for college straight... it's back to work on the truck. finals week for college is next week, then i'm headed to marysville for a week and a half vacation to install the steering, the gears, lockers, cut the fenders, and install all the other odds and ends that i have laying around.

today i ordered the ifs steering box mount kit from trail gear and the billet flat pitman arm with an fj80 tie rod from sky-mfg to compliment my sky billet steering kit. so with some luck next week i might have a progress update! :cheer: now that my pay is fixed i can start dumping all my extra cash flow back into the truck! :cheer: and then to sell the car... this weekend i'm installing the new petroworks cv intake kit into the zuk.

now the question... should i get a tcase rebuild kit and rebuild the crawl box portion of the dual cases, or just put it together... the rear case is a rebuilt 23spline t-case from marlin. i guess to me it makes sense to put new bearings and such in the crawler box portion...

Last edited:
Keep up the fight with the VA man. I just got out of the Navy in Dec and am just now getting paid for my disability, but they are still messing with me. I was medically seperated and it still took a while to get it done.

Keep up the fight with the VA man. I just got out of the Navy in Dec and am just now getting paid for my disability, but they are still messing with me. I was medically seperated and it still took a while to get it done.

yeah, i'm in the middle of dealing with that right now... :booo: :booo: it hasn't been a fun process yet, or a short one... at least they covered my appendectomy and some other medical care because i'm a combat zone veteran and i get medical care for an x # of years... otherwise i'd be really screwed on cash with a large debt from the surgery alone would of put me under for years... i'm all for the va, except it takes them forever to deal with anything. between the dod and the va i was fighting since sept, till march to get them to pay my monthly payments on the $50k college fund they tacked on my enlistment for me to leave to the marines that day...

Have you been dealing with the Disabled American Veterans at all. They have been really helpful for me. They filed all my VA paperwork for me and got me an extra 10% disability when I filed for an ankle injury I didn't even remember. If not, you should really check them out.

well, wednesday we got some progress done. got the frame prepped to put the hi-steer on, removed a bunch of brackets from the frame, painted the hi-steer kit... a lot more to do today. as soon as i get on a computer that i can download the pictures from my camera i'll post them up.

well yesterday we got some work done. spent the better half of the day running around replenishing stock on cut off wheels, saw-z-all blades and such. but we got the rear brace for the back of the frame prepped. and I might be getting an early b-day present for up front. really i'll get some pics soon. i've been taking pics of the small progress but haven't loaded them up yet... really I will.

prepped for paint
IMG_6510.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

painted...
IMG_6513.jpg

IMG_6514.jpg

cut off...
IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6523.jpg

IMG_6525.jpg

IMG_6526.jpg

IMG_6527.jpg

Last edited:
got some more work done today. started the tubbing of the fenders and the setup of the hi-steer, so we can mount the steering box. the actual hi-steer arms will come back off when i get the parts to rebuild the front axles... is our stimulis checks here yet? it'll be dry enough tomorrow to get the steering box mount welded to the frame, the rear frame box welded on and probably the quick release mud flap mounts welded on. then we'll start the real fun process of sealing the fender tubbing. we will be using aluminum sheets riveted to the body instead of steel welded back in. stick welding body sheet metal is an unrealistic idea and i have a sheet of aluminum from an old skateboard ramp lying around. i'll post the pics from today tomorrow.

39.5 iroks for tires, 5 leaf waggy springs in the rear. with rears up front mixed with a few waggy leafs. no body lift will be put on. i want to keep the lowest center of gravity as possible, sheet metal can always be trimmed out of the way. we just started tubbing the fenders all the way back to the body mount. it's all cut out, i just need to sheet the inner fender now.

the bottom of the steering arms is not a good place for paint. other than that this is a damned sweet build!:awesomework:

keep it up.

I still have to remove them again to rebuild the axle as soon as I can afford the parts. I can scuff the bases of the highsteer arms then. just mocking up to mount the box.

I still have to remove them again to rebuild the axle as soon as I can afford the parts. I can scuff the bases of the highsteer arms then. just mocking up to mount the box.

gotcha.:awesomework:

looks sweet, man. i dig the nice low stance. when are you expecting its maiden voyage?:awesomework:

maiden voyage is hopefully mid to late summer... still have to get the longfields axles, 5th stud kit, chromo hub gears, chromo rear axles, front axle and knuckle gussets, complete front and rear axle rebuild kits, shocks and shock mounts, build the flatbed....... so as soon as i can afford to get her done. i have to sell the subaru to get it her done by mid summer.

yesterday, we got the rear axle housing pulled, the 3rd member pulled and started getting the V6 axle ready for installation. we have to swap over the brake lines from the old axle and re-bend them to fit. got about 1/2 the bed's rust buffed off with some metal conditioning pads and painted it with some flat black rustoleum. we also played around with the steering box mount, found about where it's actually going to go. monday we have to pull the shims from the axle perches. other than that we didn't get much done.

Last edited: