• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

'84 yota long bed build

well slept in today... and had to run to mt vernon for a scrap steel run with my dad... so we didn't get much done. I got the passenger side aluminum inner fender formed and ready for install and dad got the steering box located. not much but something.

Last edited:
IMG_6547.jpg

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6541.jpg

Last edited:
well the fenders are resheeted, cut and installed. i need a sunny day to paint the fenders and the rear cross section... which won't happen till i have to head south and start the new quarter at college... the steering is about done and the mounting for the winch plate is started. along with some other misc. odds and ends..

some pictures of what is being worked on at the moment. since everything else is being chopped and stuffed to keep the best possible center of gravity, and clearance... the winch will be no different for the approach angle. the space hogging manual fan has been scrapped and the bottom of the radiator is being moved back an inch so that the winch can be really stuffed back. the mounting of the winch is still a work in progress. but i'm pretty stoked on how the placement is working out and here is a teaser... still not sure what to do about the rad. core support, will probably just tie it through the winch plate by bolting it into it... not sure yet we will do with it. as soon as i get the electric fans installed i'll be wiring up the new cooling fans.

P3302481.jpg

P3302487.jpg

P3302488.jpg

P3302492.jpg

P3302498.jpg

i'll be at about 3 1/2 inches from the frame when i get an aluminum fairlead and some synthetic rope on there! :cheer: :cheer:

pwr steering pump is leaking... so i'll have to upgrade that while i'm at it. anyone know a shop that can drill a toyota steering box for hyd assist, without screwing the box up?

Last edited:
new box for the back of the bed will be ordered this week; as long as i don't get taken too bad by the DOT for transfering the title on my atv and suzuki tabs... it's 49" wide, so it will sit 1 inch over the forward bed mounts on either side! so it will be narrower than the cab and only like 4 inches wider than the frame rails each side, which will keep it from getting as banged up on the rocks and such.

221002.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going to do anything about the poprivits sticking up through the floor? That would bug me, my boot would keep getting caught on them. Just curious, maybe it's not an issue for you...

Are you going to do anything about the poprivits sticking up through the floor? That would bug me, my boot would keep getting caught on them. Just curious, maybe it's not an issue for you...

yeah a big rubber floor mat... or i'll be getting the inside armarthaned and trimmed around the rivets. would of welded some steel in there, but it's not very plausible with a stick welder, and i had some aluminum laying around. they are barely sticking up maybe a 1/4 inch max. a thick winter/mud floor mat will cover them up and seriously smooth out the transition from rivet to floor level.

Last edited:
Glad to see your getting some more work done on this. If you guys have 220v near the 'work area' I could roll my welder down the street :)

]2eDeYe;392014 said:
Glad to see your getting some more work done on this. If you guys have 220v near the 'work area' I could roll my welder down the street :)

hmmm... yeah there is a 220v hookup, we use that for the stick welder. i'm back in tacoma for college, but dad is still tinking away on it. especially since the rear axle is pulled and it's sitting in his driveway... i'll be back up on april 12th to do some work, and possibly get all the steel to make the bed, rear axle truss, and rocker guards... not that we'll get that all done in 1 or 2 days day... i'll definately run it by him.

some more update pics, tires installed, rear axle partially installed (still need to attach all the brake line and such), steering installed, and winch fully mounted. the only thing left to do for the winch is to cut out the hole in the bumper for the hause fairlead. the stock bumper will be used for now... i need to paint all the welds from the steering and winch mounting along with the fenders and rear crossbrace...

:corn: mmm.... approach angle...
P4062537.jpg

steering...
P4062540.jpg

P4062542.jpg

P4062545.jpg

:corn:
fender clearance at full locked... we'll see on compression in a few days...
P4062550.jpg

P4062555.jpg

P4062556.jpg

P4062557.jpg

mockup for possible bumpstop mounting...
P4062562.jpg

Last edited:
if there's tire room after all the weight is installed in the front and rear... tossing around the idea of taking another inch out of the shackles... just tossing around for now.

some more pics, checking for rubbage in the fender. barely touches the inner fender at full lock and upward compression. will have to take a hammer and massage that a little. but it's on a smooth surface where it touches so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. nothing a little massaging won't remove. fyi, there is no weight in bed and a floor jack was used to compress the front up to check for rubbing and where the bumps stops will need to be placed. not for max suspension movement... steering checks 4.0 for clearance to the pitman arm.

P4072568.jpg

P4072584.jpg

P4072575.jpg

Last edited:
well the tire doesn't really touch. it's about an 1/8 of an inch touching the fender at full compression. so no massaging of the fender was needed when i showed up this weekend. but i did get all the winch plates and mounting, steering, rear cross brace and fenders painted. the steering box is mounted and the steering connected. the stock bumper was modified and mounted for now and a hawse fairlead was installed. did some measuring and looked into how we are going about stuffing the tcase to a flat belly. we also set the 1/4 elliptic springs out for size comparisons. they won't be going on till i get used to driving a solid axled rig again.... dad made some preliminary mounts for the front bumpstops, they'll be getting tweaked a little more, but they are an awesome start!! will be real solid when they get installed.... well here's the pics. the paint is ruff on the fenders, i just busted the rust off and barely blended the old paint. it's a wheeler, so it doesn't have to be perfect. :fawkdancesmiley:

P4132633.jpg

IMG_6579.jpg

IMG_6580.jpg

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6612.jpg

IMG_6613.jpg

bumpstop mockup
IMG_6604.jpg

just looking at the suspension to be in a year or so.
P4112598.jpg

Last edited: