sand blasted hubs
P3230078.jpg

painted hubs
P3230085.jpg

getting ready to drive the pin out of the pinion shaft
P3230086.jpg

Starting the locker install
P3230087.jpg

I've been too busy with school, lack of funds, lack of time and such. I've had a pile of parts, but no time... Spring break is through this weekend. So I'll be trying to get the rear axle done except the truss and diff protection that i still need to get from Blue Torch Fab and then the next break in 3 months i'll start tackling the front axle rebuild, shock mounting, hydraulic assist steering, rear disc brakes, and such... piece by piece it'll slowly get done. The whole point is to go through everything with this project and get it built to last the first time and make changes as I see fit as I go along. The parts pile has been building... at least i'm still on the same project brian :fawkdancesmiley: :stirpot:

Last edited:
how many kids do you have asshole?:flipoff:if i would have only kept my yota axles......but bought my girl a dirtbike instead..........i am thinking more and more about finding some axles again.......any spares?cheers, brian

I've been too busy with school, lack of funds, lack of time and such. I've had a pile of parts, but no time... Spring break is through this weekend. So I'll be trying to get the rear axle done except the truss and diff protection that i still need to get from Blue Torch Fab and then the next break in 3 months i'll start tackling the front axle rebuild, shock mounting, hydraulic assist steering, rear disc brakes, and such... piece by piece it'll slowly get done. The whole point is to go through everything with this project and get it built to last the first time and make changes as I see fit as I go along. The parts pile has been building... at least i'm still on the same project brian :fawkdancesmiley: :stirpot:

how many kids do you have asshole?:flipoff:if i would have only kept my yota axles......but bought my girl a dirtbike instead..........i am thinking more and more about finding some axles again.......any spares?cheers, brian

I'll have a full spare rear after i get some V6 gears and locker for my other third (not hihg on my priority list). I have a set of axles w/drums and a couple narrow axle housings. they've been sitting outside for awhile though.

a little more progress today, finished painting the hubs, then cleaning the overspray... Then I setup the Aussielocker, which was an interesting task in itself, not hard but i used 2 different carriers and was getting the same out of tolerance measurement for the spacers... Called the US dealer and they said to mic the spacers. sure enough it was a difference in the spacers and they said the major thing with that particular clearance is that it's not to tight. So .006 looser than specs won't hurt a thing, it's the cam gear measurement that is critical to be within specs. Then i setup the hubs, put some wheel studs in the new axles, and pressed the hubs onto the shafts.

Setup Aussielocker
P3250088.jpg

Painted Hubs and stuffed the guts in
P3250089.jpg

P3250090.jpg

mocked up on the housing.
P3250091.jpg

pressing the shafts in
P3250093.jpg

comparing the taper of the stock shafts and chromoly shafts, pictures don't really do justice of the taper difference.
P3250094.jpg

still left to do this week, setup the spool and gears for the rear third member, install the rear third, install the new hub seals and bolt up the shafts.

Not a chance in hell! Just another income and time hiccup. Organic Chemistry, Cellular/Molecular Biology and DD vehicles have been eating up my time. I got a '98 forester now though, and I'm trying to get rid of my S10 pickup and lil' roo to pay off the debt for the new computers for school...

But I did get the disc brake kit for the rear axle, I just need to find time to make it north and finish the rear axle...

Latest posts