• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

85 toyota front end

burris401

I've been having some wobble-clunking issues so i tore into the front end. After the everything has been removed i found that the axle housing "bell" is beat to hell.:mad: My first question is i have a chromo 27 spline in there and do the 27's require some clearence grinding like the 30's? The part that worried me was that the outer rim of the "bell" just on the side to the rear of the truck is chipped and gouged as though the knuckle has been contacting it? I'm thinking that when i installed the 27 spline that i didn't allow for proper clearence so did not set the bearing preload right and the knuckle was somewhat floppin? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

thats not from your birf! make sure your trunion bearings are good and your studs on your knucks are lock tighted top and bottom. Ive never seen it get gauged like that on the outside of the bell, my guess is someone was prying on it and thats how it got gauged, have you had this knuckle tore down this far before? also I have 30 slines and did not grind to make them clear all I did was loosen the top and bottom bolts on the knuckle and it slid right in.

I'm thinking that the inside is from the birf or a broken one? I've ordered a rebuild kit w/wheel bearings. Any trick to getting the wheel bearing out?

burris401 said:
I'm thinking that the inside is from the birf or a broken one? I've ordered a rebuild kit w/wheel bearings. Any trick to getting the wheel bearing out?

if your talking about the inside scores then yes its from a birf but what causes it is the brass bushing that is in the back side of the spindle, when they get wore out the birf walks around and hits the inside bell of the axel housing.

as far as the wheel bearings, take a long punch or a beat up extension and pound them out then use the old races to put the new ones.:;