• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

87 tbi 454

DHR Darren

Is the TBI decent for an off road application or should I swap it out...???
I have never run TBI so any advice would be great as I dont want to waste time on junk if it doesnt work.

I bought a 87 1 ton cc dually complete with tbi 454, th400,205 and d60 to put all in my willys. Any idea where to get the parts to convert the 60 to single wheel?

GM TBI on a BBC Sucks! Its LOW on power and eats massive fuel compared to other intake options.

If its a wheeler, then a BBC is am heavy ass pig. A nice LS would be a better option with all the cheap intake and ignitions available now.

Since you have it you can use it. There's always something better that you don't have. I would try and trade it for a TBI SBC and you can still use your th400, 205. TBI is simple and works great.

Not fair to compare the late 80's TBI to the newer LS engines as far as power and MPG. The LS was built to replace the motor and fueling that replaced the 80's TBI. I would want the 454 TBI in a crew cab 4x4 long bed. You are going to want the torque and can do mild easy mods to build a bit more power out of it. Ya its heavy but the truck alone is no light weight. I would keep the 454. If you don't plan on hard wheeling and just using it for a family play rig then the 454 will be just fine for you give you the torque you are going to need. The 350 TBI will get the same mileage or worse trying to move the weight of that truck. I had an 87 Suburban with a 350 TBI in it, and damn thing had no balls. Mileage sucked ass, and I always was put to shame by my uncles Suburban with a swapped in 454 TBI in it. Keep the 454.

Edit: I missed the part where you said it was going into your Willys. If that's the case then its up in the air. The 350 TBI would be fine in that rig and the 454 would add more weight to the front then you may want. For the Willys I would trade for a TBI 350.

Last edited:
I am throwing the bottle on whatever I put in and just plan to romp around in it in the snow, dunes, ect. Really up in the air on this one.

A TBI is a great replacement for a carb on a wheeler with a straight six.

But they have NO place in a performance application.

And any TBI chevy rig (tow or play) will make MORE power and eat less fuel with a good tuned CARB. Ive owned them all. My last truck was a jimmy dually with a tbi 454. Before that a yukon with a TBI 350.

A TBI is only an exceptable upgrade if you are looking for runability in a wheeler and power is not really a concern.

If I know Darren's tastes, it will be for HORSEPOWER.

Also dune play and heavy ass engines just dont go together.

LS LS LS LS. PS NotSoPc, a new 5.3 even will shmoke a tbi 454 towing or playing.

1987 454 = 230HP. 700 lbs

newer cheapo 5.3 = 300-350hp, 500lbs for iron truck engine

So 200 lbs heavier and 100hp less is much better huh?

That 5.3 (or any of the new SBCs) have WAY better cranks, rods, internal fasteners, roller cam, decent pistons, etc.

The jetboat guys have had great luck tossing a stock cheap 5.3 in a beating the **** out of them. Jetboats love TQ and RPMs.

Resale will be better/easier with the modern engine too.

Just my .02

There is no way you can get better mileage with a carb over a TBI unit.

There are 2 versions of the BB tbi--the early version is actually better as GM did some changes and made that platform go down hill. I remember when it came out we had allot of low power concerns

For fast start/stops a CARB is far better for being a toilet bowl but for continued use the TBI is a far better setup. It not only meters the fuel extremely well at constant/near constant rpms is also does a far better job Atomizing the fuel.

If I know Darren's tastes, it will be for HORSEPOWER.

Also dune play and heavy ass engines just dont go together.

LS LS LS LS. PS NotSoPc, a new 5.3 even will shmoke a tbi 454 towing or playing.

1987 454 = 230HP. 700 lbs

newer cheapo 5.3 = 300-350hp, 500lbs for iron truck engine

So 200 lbs heavier and 100hp less is much better huh?

That 5.3 (or any of the new SBCs) have WAY better cranks, rods, internal fasteners, roller cam, decent pistons, etc.

The jetboat guys have had great luck tossing a stock cheap 5.3 in a beating the **** out of them. Jetboats love TQ and RPMs.

Resale will be better/easier with the modern engine too.

Just my .02

These are all correct. :beer:

There is no way you can get better mileage with a carb over a TBI unit..

IMO that is straight up wrong. My and my buddies dually both attest to this. He is a "stock" class olds 455 guy and understands engines very well also. I, him and others I have run into have tossed the tbi in favor of a carb on the tow rig and found BIG improvements.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

My old 454 dually IS the reason I have a 12Vdodge. Im NOT a dodge guy.

I have sprayed a 32/28 jet on cast pistons for 70 plus passes so they are not "garbage" just less desirable. An LS is modern technology so that's an apples to oranges comparison.

Never confuse luck with skill. Might have been one pass away from grenading a piston and killing EVERTHING. Or might have 70 passes+ left. You just DONT know!

I know that you know that cast and nos just dont go together. It can work, but not confidently.

Just get an LS, it will be fun to learn/play with something new. Cheap and easy to make lightweight power.

An LS can be bought complete for less than a cheapo rotating assembly for a BBC.

My input is based on many years of being a professional in the biz. Also a persons driving habits greatly influence what they get for MPG.

I'm no stranger to LS stuff as I made 1109RWHP on stock rods, pistons, rings & crank with an lq4 in my chevelle on e85. I was just wanting to use what I have but I agree, an s480 on a 5.3 would be more fun.

IMO that is straight up wrong. My and my buddies dually both attest to this. He is a "stock" class olds 455 guy and understands engines very well also. I, him and others I have run into have tossed the tbi in favor of a carb on the tow rig and found BIG improvements.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

My old 454 dually IS the reason I have a 12Vdodge. Im NOT a dodge guy.

Never confuse luck with skill. Might have been one pass away from grenading a piston and killing EVERTHING. Or might have 70 passes+ left. You just DONT know!

I know that you know that cast and nos just dont go together. It can work, but not confidently.

Just get an LS, it will be fun to learn/play with something new. Cheap and easy to make lightweight power.

An LS can be bought complete for less than a cheapo rotating assembly for a BBC.