• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

90's throw back....Manche build

Re: Re: 90's throw back....Manche build

5BrothersFabrication said:
Love it. Late to the party, but what's the clearance with the fuel cell on the rear driveline from rear output to pinion? Looks tight at stuff. 99% of the reason I dig U4 cars is packaging, and your rig has it. drool
Lots of room in the rear for ds with the low pinion.

98ef09c60ffc336276d0e09f537eee8f.jpg

But the front is another story. Going to be super tight on droop and bump. The entire engine bay is going to be a challenge, but I have a plan.

Building stuff this tight is a major headache.

Thanks 5 bros.

Matt

Top notch work as usual. Just out of curiosity, do you have a plasma table? So many of your parts come out looking perfect.

Beerj said:
Top notch work as usual. Just out of curiosity, do you have a plasma table? So many of your parts come out looking perfect.
Thanks beerj

Have plasma but no table. Every edge is polished by hand with flap wheel, and the surfaces are scotch brite and DA'd wth 80 grit.

It doesn't happen often...but I was happily surprised when the templates for the bump stop fit near perfect on the passenger side.

Matt

Real nice, Clark! Reckon it'll weigh slightly more than an Ultra4 buggy?
Did some creative weighing last weekend, placing any uninstalled pieces in their respective areas. It will be under 4400 in race trim, (dry weight, no spares, tools, or passengers). If it gets too close, I can prep some race doors (hulled), lose the tailgate, and any other unneeded road legal accessories. 53/47 front bias, roughly 500 lbs less unsprung weight over my buggy with 60/14 and 43 stickies. I'd venture a guess of sub 5000lb for trail/race ready with occupants.

dbd3b421a553c86ad862fa9e614e23bb.jpg

c181e672a7e9e035beb10ba98b9eb941.jpg

Matt

So when I was fabbing bump stops on my rig, the biggest problem I had was when one end would fully droop while one end is at full stuff, the stuffed bump would miss the pad or not even contact it. Did you have similar issues?

I need to add that I slow crawl, I built mine in a one car garage, my suspension geometry meets no criteria on a 4 link chart and I don't run trailing arms.

So I'm sure I answered my own question somewhere in there.

Either way I'm just curious what your bumps and pads do during full cycling?

LightBnDr said:
So when I was fabbing bump stops on my rig, the biggest problem I had was when one end would fully droop while one end is at full stuff, the stuffed bump would miss the pad or not even contact it. Did you have similar issues?

I need to add that I slow crawl, I built mine in a one car garage, my suspension geometry meets no criteria on a 4 link chart and I don't run trailing arms.

So I'm sure I answered my own question somewhere in there.

Either way I'm just curious what your bumps and pads do during full cycling?
Unless you have the bumps in line with the lower shock mount viewed from front to back, they will never bottom out properly during articulation. Extremely difficult to do with shocks mounted on the axle. With the trailing arms I tried to do that, but with the narrow axle (wms 66.5) and my chassis design, I couldn't quite get there. I could change wheel back spacing, but that would cause problems in the front with the 40° steering. I'm going to experiment with my bump pads to incorporate the bumps to land in articulation as well.

I personally don't have a problem with them not touching in crawling, typically the speed is much slower and shouldn't do any damage. But I am running factory fox shaft bumpers for a safety margin.

Matt

jk101 said:
If you race it what class would you run? :cougar:
It would be 4800 legends class, due to single shock per corner, 37 dot tire. Of course it could also go 4400 unlimited.

Matt

jk101 said:
So I may have missed it but is the cage 2" dom?
No, 1.75, that's why I I've been monitoring my weight pretty closely last couple months. If I go over 4400, it must be 2"dom in the passenger area...

Matt

I am confused. You said dry weight no tools, spare or driver passenger. Do they weight the car when it is ready to race or what?
Looks like it would be over weight once race ready.

jk101 said:
I am confused. You said dry weight no tools, spare or driver passenger. Do they weight the car when it is ready to race or what?
Looks like it would be over weight once race ready.
Nope, that's how they weigh, dry, no tools, spares, or passengers. Must drive under power to cross the scales, meaning little fuel as possible.

Remember is not just KOH your teching for...it's ultra 4 series tech. Some races you won't need spares or a Co driver, or large fuel tanks, (think short course). That's the reasoning behind it. Is as fair as you can be across all car types and race courses.

Matt

Re:

And if they required race ready weight, no one would carry spares, and drive a single seater...but you would need a chase truck...

Matt

Ok now it is making more sense. Looks like you have it figured out. thumb.gif

Thanks for the response.

jk101 said:
Ok now it is making more sense. Looks like you have it figured out. thumb.gif

Thanks for the response.
No problem. I was surprised as well, once I started reading the rulebook. Cuz I know many of the trucks were over weight at the starting line...lol.

Matt

Not much shop time this weekend, but I finished the bump pads and cleaned some old bracketry from the rear housing.

Strike plate is 1/2, sides are 3/16, and bottom is 1/8.

2bf6dab238778f6d9c1603efc58ef932.jpg

14bb1b64ad3682e3a4bfe9f5407db99f.jpg

809b28fe78c8fb89e876bbe8290a5075.jpg

6e1a0b01c1d8c0235ca6763fc8e736bc.jpg

55ccd6d44a258584aa03d763e51270d4.jpg

Matt

Bumps are finish plated and in... sway bar is modified done and in, except for plating the sides of the brackets.

Big thank you @Paul for the donation to the cause!

b18cf8ede3eb0f10a12b3830c3498224.jpg

5428de352635df26a39feaed2cb08873.jpg

Sway bar modded to run on the trailing arm. Not enough room to run the full length dom over the tube, so gonna try just running bushing brackets.

0db876b4441d85e69829f58c21c9c267.jpg

2093f2ca89134c15d7afc8c8f026b59f.jpg

51b5e1d414ed33f28ee9d752f2e377f9.jpg

a731329e39c16f5bb562822bc8fbbb45.jpg

50d4d5ae0d3f0cfd866c5f41a4f4b1e6.jpg

2c2e8bd2b5da0afb584c901c97da5d21.jpg

Matt

hokie_yj said:
Every time I open this thread I have to go change my shorts when I'm done. drool
****, I feel the same way about sxor chassis', have loved them for years.
X2! Holy travel!

You have a habit of laying dimes with a mig, making it look like tig. Bravo, sir!
22", unstrapped.

Took me a long time to get there, (self taught) . Been welding 20+ years for hobby. Wasnt until I started playing with thinner wires, (mostly .023, sometimes .030) that when I figured it out. I still struggle some days with finding my rhythm. I was a grinder for 10 years before really became a welder lol...and still probably would fail a cert.

Thanks guys!

Matt