• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

94 Ranger

Southernroots21

I have been having some thoughts run through my head since i got my ranger, and i have been thinkin bout it more since i realized how under powered my truck is. The thought is that i want to upgrade the motor and have been thinking about small blocking it, kinda want to go with this Boss 302 i found on summit but also have been thinkin about gettin an ecoboost motor for it. But i have been also wondering if there is anything i can do for now to get more power out of it with out spending to much money. Any thoughts? Ideas would be amazing :awesomework:

Probably cost about the same to turbo that 4cyl as swapping in a v8. Even a 302 is a tight squeeze.

ya a 302 is a tight squeeze. there is vid's showing its been done but just not sure which route to go..... even thought of gettin a 4.0 and building that up a bit and throw that in.... just not sure

Other than being a little smaller, the 4.0 swap is just as much work as a 5.0. If yo could scrounge the parts or the whole engine from a turbo t bird, it would gain you some power and not add much weight and you wouldn't have to make any drivetrain changes right away.

In my opinion, unless you're wanting the sound, a stock 5.0l doesn't make that much more power than a 4.0l. And a turboed 2.3 can make more power than a 4.0l, With not much work, and weigh a lot less.

I'm guessing the truck is 2wd? I think the last year of 4cyl 4wds was 93 or 94.

If you want to do a 4.0l swap, I have the computer & complete engine harness for a '93 2wd 4.0l 5spd.

Last edited: