• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

95 YJ Seatbelt Advice

AnnaBanana

The Ditch Witch
As the thread title indicates I have a 95 YJ with seatbelt concerns and I still have the stock seats/seatbelt configurations....

I continually run into the issue of the belts getting 'stuck' or locked, sometimes in the fully retracted position, other times while on the trail, and am unable to loosen them to either get out, or to buckle in.

These have been replaced already with 'replacement' (used albeit) factory jobs from Oly4X4...

I also purchased (again for Oly4x4) a set of crow enterprises wrangler application lap belts, to at least provide me with some protection when those stubborn factory 3points wouldn't cooperate. However the rub is that the belts, when attached to the

Do the lap belts use the same factory-style latch mechanism? Could you just get some of those belt extenders for the lap belts to at least resolve the issues with off-road use?

IMO, factory-style "inertia activated" locking retractors will never work satisfactorily off-road.

Do the lap belts use the same factory-style latch mechanism? Could you just get some of those belt extenders for the lap belts to at least resolve the issues with off-road use?

IMO, factory-style "inertia activated" locking retractors will never work satisfactorily off-road.

the crow lap belts operate like a harness system however just across the lap, they however came with NO instructions, and from what we were able to decipher, it was a bolt to existing seatbelt configuration.

these are what they look like, I've pondered getting a 6" extender bar for the lap belt application, however uncertain if that will really solve much! I am just a bit stumped how there seems to be no information about other folks not running into the same issues... I must be missing something
attaching image of how the crow ones work. To answer your question, no they do not have the same factory latch system.

Attachments

• crow-lap.jpg
    crow-lap.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 164
I would just run a two belt setup.....the factory for on the road and "whatever" for off.Whether it be a latch style like pictured or an OEM buckle (I like rear XJ lap belts ie: NO retractor). IMNSHO....you only really need a lap belt as long as you keep it TIGHT.Just keep the offroad lap setup tucked under the seat when oyur not using them

If you wanna' stay with aftermarket belts like the Crows, Brian or Dana at Olympic should be able to help you with an extension or at least half a belt to fit your child seat. They have always been very helpfull.

Perhaps you should revisit the idea of the stock belts. The ratchet/rewind mechanism can fail from dust inside or the oil drying out. I have taken them apart, cleaned and relubed them and got them working like new again. Jeeps are bad for this because that mechanism gets hammered with mud and dirt when the doors are off.

Final thought: There is very little demand for used Jeep OEM seatbelts. Everyone goes to 5 point systems. I'll bet that Olympic has a several low mileage wrecked Jeeps with used but new condition factory belts. I'll bet they give them too ya' for free.

If you wanna' stay with aftermarket belts like the Crows, Brian or Dana at Olympic should be able to help you with an extension or at least half a belt to fit your child seat. They have always been very helpfull.

Perhaps you should revisit the idea of the stock belts. The ratchet/rewind mechanism can fail from dust inside or the oil drying out. I have taken them apart, cleaned and relubed them and got them working like new again. Jeeps are bad for this because that mechanism gets hammered with mud and dirt when the doors are off.

Final thought: There is very little demand for used Jeep OEM seatbelts. Everyone goes to 5 point systems. I'll bet that Olympic has a several low mileage wrecked Jeeps with used but new condition factory belts. I'll bet they give them too ya' for free.

I may be wrong on this, but I thought it was illegal to sell used ones due to liability? So giving them away may be their only option.

I've purchased used ones from oly and they've FAILED immediately.

in fact they were worse than the ones they were replacing. NOT going down that road again. I pretty much have gotten NOWHERE with help from Oly about the crow issue. pretty much, thats what supposed to fit, good luck! :mad:

I would just run a two belt setup.....the factory for on the road and "whatever" for off.Whether it be a latch style like pictured or an OEM buckle (I like rear XJ lap belts ie: NO retractor). IMNSHO....you only really need a lap belt as long as you keep it TIGHT.Just keep the offroad lap setup tucked under the seat when oyur not using them

My settup also.

YJ belts have inertia devices. What that does is allow free in/out motion of the belt until the car has a quick stop which 'hooks' the belt, latching it, and holding you in place. When going up or down steep hills, the inertia device will lock.

This belt will worsen when the plastic case that surrounds the belt is packed with mud and crap.

My advice is to remove the belt, and take the plastic shielding off. I've found that often a good cleaning will remove the debris and allow the belt to re-function correctly. I've found a couple of time that the retractor has retracted twigs into itself really making it ornery.

I use two belts also. When I need to winch, I'll unbelt and hook up my cable, but cannot rebelt back when done due to the angle I've parked. At that time I simply rely on my auxilary lap belt that I got from a race car shop. If my passanger got out at the same time, they can walk the trail for a few yards until I've leveled out enough for them to rebelt up.

Last edited:
does your rig shake alot? I have a truck with a nasty cam, I have to put the seat belt on before starting it or rev it way up till it smoothes out. swampers will do this at road speed sometimes. the inertia device has a hard time telling the difference between vibration and impact.

probally not your problem though.:beer:

If the problem is while wheeling. Head for an office supply store. Get a very large spring type paper clip. Put your seat belt on as you would normally. Pull the belt out a few inches. Clip you new clip on to the belt where the belt slides thru the shoulder restraint so that the belt will not retract. You can now wheel comfortably. The belt still restrains you but will not lock you into the seat. Try it, it works very well.

If the problem is while wheeling. Head for an office supply store. Get a very large spring type paper clip. Put your seat belt on as you would normally. Pull the belt out a few inches. Clip you new clip on to the belt where the belt slides thru the shoulder restraint so that the belt will not retract. You can now wheel comfortably. The belt still restrains you but will not lock you into the seat. Try it, it works very well.

you mean one of these???

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/Binder_clip.JPG

Ask Stealthrunner and the lump on his head about wearing lap belts only:eeek:

We have had the same problem....used the clip and it worked...

Also, we were told down here that the manufacturer of the vehicle is responsible for the seatbelts darn near for life. Since we have kept stock seat belts, the Jeep dealer was willing to supply relpacements for free and we did this several times. Don't know if it was the particular dealer down here or not but check with the Jeep dealer up there....

Beth

We have had the same problem....used the clip and it worked...

Also, we were told down here that the manufacturer of the vehicle is responsible for the seatbelts darn near for life. Since we have kept stock seat belts, the Jeep dealer was willing to supply relpacements for free and we did this several times. Don't know if it was the particular dealer down here or not but check with the Jeep dealer up there....

Beth

thx 4 the advice,:awesomework:
I was given to the impression once you took your 4 wheel drive jeep off the pavement all warranties were void... so I pretty much kissed that goodbye on day one of jeep ownership back in '95

This works good :awesomework: .

I have in a pinch (if you lose a clip) used "electric black tape".

(pull the belt out a few inches, Hold it in place and use "ONE" wrap around the roll bar and belt, If you do happen to roll the tape will break free and catch. This will also allow the belt to NOT retract, so it will be free hanging when you take it off)

My advice would be to never use used belts, ones out of a wrecking yard for sure never to use, they have already been wrecked....

I know it is not legal on the road , but while I wheel I take the belt where it goes through the loop on the roll bar and pull it all the way out. Then I take electrical tape and wrap it around the belt at the top where it loops over to your shoulder. This way it wont retract, so I can always belt up, there is enough extra I can put it under my arm to be able to look over the side and still see, not pretty but it works!