• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

97 powestroke issues

mckeddie said:
My 99 did this. Brand new fuel pump was bad. It wasn't putting out enough pressure.

I did put a new lift pump (between turbo and fuel bowl) in a few weeks back due to leak. I thought about it after some reading, especially it being an airtex brand.

Started today with a rag soaked in gas, laying air filter. Running better today but still not good. Rough idle, hard start (wont without gas rag), surging bad, service engine light is on. Held pedal at 2000rpm and it would randomly drop and come back. Revving is slow and sluggish have not had it back on the road since it died last week. Im thinking ipr but not certain. Guy suppose to come scan today and will update on codes.

First start of the day it had a very violent shake that went away after several minutes.

Sounds like it's starving for fuel either sucking air or a clogged fuel filter.
You have a secondary filter on the frame underneath the drivers door.
One other thing it could be if your truck has dual fuel tanks on it check the switching valve.
One other common problem with those trucks the pick up in the field tank will get corroded over .

TRUCNUT said:
Sounds like it's starving for fuel either sucking air or a clogged fuel filter.
You have a secondary filter on the frame underneath the drivers door.
One other thing it could be if your truck has dual fuel tanks on it check the switching valve.
One other common problem with those trucks the pick up in the field tank will get corroded over .

Being a 97 OBS dont think it has filter on frame, cant find it. The fuel switch has been bypassed and directly hooked to front tank. The tank does not have a filter only pick up tube (hard line to bottom of tank). Thanks for suggestions. I put new fuel filter on about a month ago. Drained fuel bowl and refilled with transmission fluid.

Guy just left after scanning truck and gave me these codes.

P1661 output ckt low
P0603. Pcm kam error
P1282. icp
P1211 icp
P0344 cmp intermittent

Do you have a programmer on it, if so un hook it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zjman said:
Do you have a programmer on it, if so un hook it

Best I can tell it is stock never had a programmer.

Have you checked the screen on the fuel filter housing they get clogged. Also you can check fuel pressure on the side of filter housing. You can put a gauge(5000 psi) and hose in the oil rail plug to check oil pressure. Sounds like ipr is going bad or the screen could be clogged starving for oil. Needs to make 3000 psi fire injectors.

More than likely you need to look at the injector harnesses. The CEL means there is an electrical issue of some kind. High pressure oil while cranking needs to be 500-600 before they will start but I doubt that's the main issue. Also, check the icp sensor, they are known for giving trouble but again I'm betting you find a burnt harness

Mattman347 said:
More than likely you need to look at the injector harnesses. The CEL means there is an electrical issue of some kind. High pressure oil while cranking needs to be 500-600 before they will start but I doubt that's the main issue. Also, check the icp sensor, they are known for giving trouble but again I'm betting you find a burnt harness

Got glow plugs, valve cover gaskets, icp, and harnesses on the way. Anything else need to look at? Will start easy with a gas rag laying over air filter but has a rough idle most of the time.

Been out of town since last Friday, so no work has been done til today. Got glow plugs, valve cover gaskets and harnesses installed finally. Truck started and ran good for maybe 10 seconds then idled rough and check engine light came on. Let it idle for 15-20mins killed it and tried to restart. Nothing only cranks no start. Oil gauge was showing pressure and rpms were moving. Ideas?

You really need to check fuel pressure. Google and YouTube can explain better than me. No need to chase the electronics until fuel is confirmed.

I am in no way a diesel expert but to me it sounds injector related. Get it to a good diesel shop and get them tested.

While you had the valve covers off you should've replaced the injector o rings. Did you do the .50 cent mod?

RustyC said:
You really need to check fuel pressure. Google and YouTube can explain better than me. No need to chase the electronics until fuel is confirmed.

Fuel pressure is good. New mechanical pump, and I checked it with gauge after it is warm.

Robbiem said:
While you had the valve covers off you should've replaced the injector o rings. Did you do the .50 cent mod?

Never heard of it til you posted about it, so no on the .50cent mod.

Finally got time to drive around the block. Truck ran sluggish and would not start back when I returned. I am contributing part of the sluggisness to changing out the hpop and not having all the air out of the system, but I may be wrong. Thinking I may have bad ipr or at least bad orings on ipr. Check engine light still comes on about 10 seconds after start up and runs rough til it gets warm. Have not got this one figured out.

Thanks for all the input, and keep it coming.

.50 cent mod: a quarter fits under the clip on each uvch to keep it from coming unpugged. You have to grind a tiny bit off one side for it to fit. When I first got my 97 it would start cold but when warm would never re start (without aid) and had no power. That was injector o rings. Ipr orings are easy enough to replace also. What code does it throw? I bought a set of injectors from a guy as cores for $250 and they ended up being better than the ones I had in it. They were in the truck when I sold it. They will make all the difference if you have bad ones.

Robbiem said:
.50 cent mod: a quarter fits under the clip on each uvch to keep it from coming unpugged. You have to grind a tiny bit off one side for it to fit. When I first got my 97 it would start cold but when warm would never re start (without aid) and had no power. That was injector o rings. Ipr orings are easy enough to replace also. What code does it throw? I bought a set of injectors from a guy as cores for $250 and they ended up being better than the ones I had in it. They were in the truck when I sold it. They will make all the difference if you have bad ones.

The orings may have crapped out but I wouldnt think it to happen as sudden as it did. Gonna order ipr and go from there. If it does not fix it I will be looking into injector o ring kits. I have 5-6 spare injectors from the egine I had replaced when I got the truck. Had to use 1 in the current engine due to one being bad at install. Damaged one or two when taking bad engine out of truck to put in shed as parts donor. But all others were good when engine was removed. If need be I will pull those injectors have them checked out and new orings installed.

Got IPR in yesterday, it a Motorcraft brand ordered from ebay. Installed today. Dang truck starts and runs good so far, no cel or anything. Only got to let it run 10mins and no driving so hope to test it out tomorrow. Thanks for all the input and help.