• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

9ft camper on a shortbox F350?

Dunejunkie

Have the chance to upgrade my camper, great deal; shower and shitta in the new camper.

Issue is, it's a 9ft camper and I have a short box F350 4 door.

My 8ft camper takes up about half the tailgate when down, so the 9ft camper would be sticking out past the tailgate when down.

Anybody have a 9ft camper on a short box 1ton?
What

Are you still able to keep the tailgate on?Couple things I'd be concerned with; One is the stinger extension length if towing. Be sure that whatever you do is rated for what you may be towing. the other would be weight bias front to rear. And that would also bring up the concern of the factory tailgate cables-might go to a heavier cable if you keep it under the camper...

given the fact that people run 11.5 foot campers on 8 foot beds all day long, I don't think you will have a problem. You have enough weight up front that it should be no different then others.

True that, I retract my statement about weight bias...:redneck: The hitch thing is still a concern...

Just do this! :redneck:

90428723_eb08a16562.jpg

I did the extended hitch thing years ago when I had a camperasorous...bad idea BUT I figured if I was to get another big camper I would just add to the tongue of the trailer...my .02

True that, I retract my statement about weight bias...:redneck: The hitch thing is still a concern...

No you had it right the first time. Weight bias is an issue. I have a short box crew cab and with my 8'-6" camper and a trailer the front feels light. 9'-0" would be worse.
You would be able to do it but it will probably drive funny.

No you had it right the first time. Weight bias is an issue. I have a short box crew cab and with my 8'-6" camper and a trailer the front feels light. 9'-0" would be worse.

ummm, when you put a camper on a truck, it handles like crap. Unless you have a 7 foot mini truck camper on a crew cab 2wd dually.. I don't care what anyone thinks about modifying the truck to handle a camper, the drive sucks.

i have the same setup.

mine handles ok, haven't towed with it on yet though. will need a 12" extension.

personally i think 8'6" is max unless it is a new one made specifically for a SB truck.
the CG of my camper is just ahead of the rear axle due to the long overhang. the water tank is also at the front, but i think most all are.

mine has everything except A/C and an awning. full wet bath with in/out shower, hot water etc etc...

PA060031.jpg

i had a smaller older 8' before, and i defniatly notice the difference with the new one on. but the north south bed and other upgrades are totally worth it.
maybe i get a couple dirtbikes to hang off the front as a counterweight :redneck:
IMG_0048.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of campers are constructed in such a manner that the tailgate cannot be left on the truck, because the camper will hit the tailgate straps/supports.

Best to double check the 'fit' before you buy if you're going to rely on the tailgate for support.

Personally, I wouldn't go longer than 8'6" on a shortbed.

But that's why I bought a longbed :)

ummm, when you put a camper on a truck, it handles like crap. Unless you have a 7 foot mini truck camper on a crew cab 2wd dually.. I don't care what anyone thinks about modifying the truck to handle a camper, the drive sucks.

There's a difference between simply "handles like crap" and having the COG too far to the rear of the truck. The latter is what we're talking about here.

Yeah, thinking about it some more...weight bias is an issue---So I retract my retraction! :redneck::haha:
With my 9'-6" (actually measures just shy of 10') on, I notice the weight abit in turns, but it does not handle like crap at all! Even towing it still drives nice, just gotta be aware of the added weight when traveling down a windy 50+mph highway :awesomework:---

To the op, maybe (if you know the current owner) he'll let you try it out for a weekend...if it don't feel right, don't buy it--simple...Oh, and tony made a good point about most campers not being designed to run with the tailgate on...:awesomework: