• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

9K winches

I guess you first have to decide how much you want to spend. More than $600, you're into the warns, ect. Less than $600 you're into the smitty, engo ect. How many times do you winch?. I winch about 2x a year and my winch stays out of the weather so I bought a smittybuilt. If I winched all the time and my winch stayed out in the weather I'd buy a better one.

i put an offer of 375 on a 10k smittybuilt on e bay, they were asking 399.
they took it:redneck:
havent used it yet but but it looks way better than my old 8k. waterproof, wireless remote, 6.6hp motor, and it seems to freespool like an 8274:awesomework:
i bet it has bearings unlike the older 8k.
i would love to put one on my jeep.
the body isnt any bigger than any 9k. i was previoulsy against the larger rated ones as they just used lower gearing (slower) but the 6.6 hp motor with a new battery should scream.

I guess you first have to decide how much you want to spend. More than $600, you're into the warns, ect. Less than $600 you're into the smitty, engo ect. How many times do you winch?. I winch about 2x a year and my winch stays out of the weather so I bought a smittybuilt. If I winched all the time and my winch stayed out in the weather I'd buy a better one.

Well my winch has seen more work than anybody else I know. Consistently used at work parties and I have pulled lots of trees down at our new place(more to do still). My rig does stay under cover when not in use...

I did order a new motor to keep it going but for the new setup it won't work--needing something like the style of a m9000.

Is you Ramsey a "Pro9000" ? If so, I think you can still remove that 'bridge' which includes the solenoid pack, and relocate it. I had one of these winches years ago, and thought it was possible.

Is you Ramsey a "Pro9000" ? If so, I think you can still remove that 'bridge' which includes the solenoid pack, and relocate it. I had one of these winches years ago, and thought it was possible.

when I was checking it out to see if the motor was indeed bad it does look like I could go with a simple cross bar. The problem is with how to unlock the winch--you need allot of room unlike most out there where its a simple turn of a lever.

I have CSI, and it is hands down the slowest winch I have ever seen.
It'd be ok for a trailer winch, that's about it.

Well my winch has seen more work than anybody else I know. Consistently used at work parties and I have pulled lots of trees down at our new place(more to do still). My rig does stay under cover when not in use...

Sounds like you should spend the money and buy a good, durable winch.

personally I would go with the 9.5xp or 8274. i'm not a fan of the other stuff.

Warn, other then the 8274, are all overpriced. Superwinch can be had for a decent deal, buddy of mien swears by them. That is pretty much it. I will always stick to my 8274. Pulls harder and faster then by buddies zeon warn thing.

I actually had an EP9.0 Superwinch on the YJ before the 'incident' a couple yrs back, and I loved it---pulled hard, and was nearly as fast as my XP is.

If you buy a warn winch and put the solenoid pack under the hood where it is out of the elements it will never let you down. Yes, it does costs more, but all of the really good stuff costs more then the other stuff. The ramsey winches have a new super nice feature, a semi automatic clutch, why do I need this you ask. Well....picture this. So you are in a big hurry to get someplace and you get stuck. You are now in the need of some assistance, (your winch). your passenger jumps out with all of the bits, straps, and whatnot that one would need to facilitate such assistance, he/she gloves up and grabs the winch line, pulls the clutch handle on the winch to disengage the spool, and off they go to the nearest solid object to secure the winch line to. straps, shackles, pins, weight on the cable, bang you are secure and ready to pull. there is no need for your cable pulling assistant to run back and "re-engage the spool with the clutch handle, because as soon as you start the pull the clutch automatically engages. cool huh.

If you buy a warn winch and put the solenoid pack under the hood where it is out of the elements it will never let you down. Yes, it does costs more, but all of the really good stuff costs more then the other stuff. The ramsey winches have a new super nice feature, a semi automatic clutch, why do I need this you ask. Well....picture this. So you are in a big hurry to get someplace and you get stuck. You are now in the need of some assistance, (your winch). your passenger jumps out with all of the bits, straps, and whatnot that one would need to facilitate such assistance, he/she gloves up and grabs the winch line, pulls the clutch handle on the winch to disengage the spool, and off they go to the nearest solid object to secure the winch line to. straps, shackles, pins, weight on the cable, bang you are secure and ready to pull. there is no need for your cable pulling assistant to run back and "re-engage the spool with the clutch handle, because as soon as you start the pull the clutch automatically engages. cool huh.

Like the old Warn Lock-O-Matic hubs from the 80's.

In some cases it might not be a true comparison if the winch was made a while back when comparing to todays new on the shelf. Manufacturers are constantly changing parts and parts suppliers from year to year as well as introducing new models and discounting old ones. I know for example around 10years ago warn started using powder metal gears in some of their cheaper winches to cut cost knowing that most people just use them as bumper bling.

So the motor finally went out on the ramsey and lost one solenoid.

So I rebuilt it with new soleniods,motor and bushings. It has always been a dependable unit and actually thinking of having some cross bars made so I can toss the top and keeping it.