• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

? about gas cans.

TrailTaco

I let a buddy borrow 2 gas cans, the red plastic kind that hold 6 gallons each. I found out that he used them for diesel. They are empty now, but will it be ok to use them again for regular gas. Is there a way to rinse them out?

Mark

How long did they have diesel in them? I've done short term fills no prob. Get gas in to soak the diesel back out. AFAIK the only reason diesel cans are yellow is to keep people from mixing up fuels (especially at jobsites where a down rig could fail and kill someone)

The tiny little bit of siesel that may have soaked into the plastic will not hurt a gasser....just fill them up, and then take a sharpee pen and plaster "GASOLINE" all over it!!!:redneck:

No worries, you'll be fine with your cans.

A farm hand filled my girlfriends gasoline JD riding mower with Diesel on accident. I drained what I could from the lines and carb. filled it with gas and cranked till she lit. Man, you've seen so much smoke in your life. You couldn't see the mower in the smoke cloud !

I let a buddy borrow 2 gas cans, the red plastic kind that hold 6 gallons each. I found out that he used them for diesel. They are empty now, but will it be ok to use them again for regular gas. Is there a way to rinse them out?

Mark

So what are you worried about if they are empty you aren't going to have any issues. I used to run a 50/50 mix, and had no issues. If you want to rinse them out, put gas in them.

My cans go back and forth from diesel to gas to 2-stroke the tiny bit left in the bottom won't hurt anything. If your really worried about it rinse with gas as already stated above.

A little diesel in gas is not a problem, wouldnt suggest, but not a problem...The problem is mixing gas with deisel engine, could have explosive results....

Thanks guys... He borrowed them and used them to refill a Bobcat that he rented. I just wanted to make sure it would not hurt anything. I will just fill them up and keep using them.

Mark