• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Achieving Flex w/o lifting...

Rock_Crusher

Is it possible to get flex w/ next to no lift...

I have a jeep Yj - it already has a 4in spring lift - and is still spua.

I'am using a 33in tire - fenders trimmed for clearence. and trying to figure out ways to get mad flex? w/o Mad Investment... any idea's... w/o lift or spoa.

some one mentioned tera-flex shackles? longer brakelines & shocks.'

already removed - tracbars / sway bar... and opened up clamps on springs.

using the springs i have now.
whats some positive ways to achieve good flex?

KarlVP said:
Lockers, then you don't need it to flex.

How about taking some leaves out of your springs?

whats up Karl

hard top - heavy - full doors - heavy...

the springs are soft & not stiffy or arched... opened up & have been ran a few times on trails to break them in... there ok,

I guess I'm focusing on them shackles that open up?

i can figure out longer shock placements & size shocks to get & re-work the B lines. I'am looking into staying low - running a 33in tire, and making room for them to go up & down as much as i can physically get away with.

cutting my hood / fenders to allow the front tires to travel

trimming the rear as well.

i think i can get a decent flex outta it, and as you said, throw in some lockers & watch the - FUN BEGIN!

guess i'm just looking for others input on this - vs getting it up high to run bigger tires, or etc... i think it would work out pretty good w/ 33's that flexed.

concentrate on down travel. Use bumpstops to keep the rubber out of the body upon stuff.

Longer shakles and shocks will help increase your travel.

find what is limiting your droop and fix it until the only thing limiting it is the shackle and the spring. Then you can look at optimizing your shackle angle if you still want more droop.

Wrangler springs flex alot when you have long enough shocks. I have used wranglers in SOA setups with good results. Like what was said, find out whats limiting it.

Flat leaf springs flex. Lifted leaf springs dont flex.

Proper shakle and shakle angle help.

Stay away from double shakles and/or buggy leafs...they do help flex, but make axle wrap WAY worse.

I agree that proper bumpstops help force the opposite tire down(forced articulation)

Crappy deal about leaf springs that flex well is that you will end up with broken and bent springs.

briejer said:

Stay away from double shakles and/or buggy leafs...they do help flex, but make axle wrap WAY worse.

I agree that proper bumpstops help force the opposite tire down(forced articulation)

Crappy deal about leaf springs that flex well is that you will end up with broken and bent springs.

Robin nailed it on the head. Leafs can only go so far before they start to bend and break.I have already broken a few. Learn to wheel then you wont be so worried about flex. :flipoff:

briejer said:

this is what i'm after - info on those tera flex or double shackles...

something there just scares the **** outta me..

droop, thats kinda what i figured... jack the jeep up high on stands & pull the shocks off the axles... stuff one side & pull the other down, if i can get the tire higher by raising the fender - cut away some of the hood and redo the fender / incorparate it into the hood higher up. make new shock mounts / adjust bumpstops. get longer brake lines... etc.

but i was asking about those - stay away from - double shackles. sounds like they are a bad idea = ?

shackle angle plays a BIG part in how a leaf spring acts. i learned alot from when i was racing stock cars,so there is lots of info to be found if you look..spring placement at both ends,will change things as well..the double shackle things.goofy leaf..however you wanna call them do work they generally help droop alot,but lets say you have them on the back of your rig and you drop the nose over a steep dropoff the rear is gonna unload those double shackle things,then if you have them up front they unload as well, and its not always a good thing...

Last edited:
JOOP said:
Learn to wheel then you wont be so worried about flex. :flipoff:

Have you been to the beach recently?

you need to wash the sand out of your Mangina! ....... learn to wheel?
Your about the only one who hasn't been to Elbe yet.
Mister learn to wheel! :flipoff:
I'am just trying to pick up on some user tried parts experience on certain parts, like the tera-flex shackles... are they something to consider? or not...

OK the tera-revolvers will give you plenty of flex, but they also have thier down falls. Like too much flex.

Yep I haven;t been to elbe yet. I work for a living. Dont get weekends off much anymore, so my wheeling trips are quick and close to home, But I'm wheeling and thats all that matters.

Best advice I can give you from someone who has a YJ. Is wheel yours, find out what you need, not what people recommend. Because you can get idea's on here or anywhere all day long. But you wont gain experience from web-wheeling only from trial and error. Now on that note. My TV shows are starting. :flipoff:

benw said:
A "simple" spring over is way too much lift for 33's on a YJ.

I woudn't go as far to say too much lift for 33's...

but alot of bug's to work out of the system for a done right spoa set-up.
yet again, alot of +'s in a spoa set-up... flat springs > ----- < allow for good up or down travel, and force apon the other side. then you have issue's though like wrap to deal w/.

again, I'am confortable w/ the height of where my rig is at now... and I could run 35's if I wanted to... *given i had stronger axles...:D I'm just curious where the best flex is ?

w/o experimenting too much 1st hand, figured I ask around - before trying stuff & working out the bug's on my own.

JOOP said:
OK the tera-revolvers will give you plenty of flex, but they also have thier down falls. Like too much flex.

Yep I haven;t been to elbe yet. I work for a living. Dont get weekends off much anymore, so my wheeling trips are quick and close to home, But I'm wheeling and thats all that matters.

Best advice I can give you from someone who has a YJ. Is wheel yours, find out what you need, not what people recommend. Because you can get idea's on here or anywhere all day long. But you wont gain experience from web-wheeling only from trial and error. Now on that note. My TV shows are starting. :flipoff:

ELBE - ELBE - ELBE - ELBE - ELBE - ELBE - ELBE -

you've already taken enough damage from Tahuya :rolleyes: why not get a little from,

ELBE - ELBE -ELBE - ELBE - ELBE - ELBE - ELBE -

I'd like to run BusyWild in my Jeep w/ you in your's... say in DEC?
during the ToY RuN again... come on up! bring a toy & let's wheel the Busy!
you will be asking yourself why you've never wheeled ELBE before?

Rich, The tera flex shackles do provide more down travel, but they do it when there is no weight on the axle, so they are not really giving you what you want. It does look good on a ramp however. Buggy does a lil better but also has down falls unless it is more of just a trail rig then you are looking for.
I will now through in all the Internet disclaimers, well other then bourbon is good for a cold, or if you just want to not get one....:cool: