• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

After months of looking, I found her

TooRisky

My new tow rig...1988 Suburban, 4x4, 350ci, 400 turbo, tow package on and on and on...and I am extremely happy.

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Well should see me more at Rieter, now that I dont have to travel hopeing the old F-150 was going to make it...Make it a point to say hi if ya see me.

What'd you spend on it?

well they wanted $4995.00 for it when I walked in....I walked out paying $4200 and getting $1200 for my 92 F-150...

As far as the 454 comment, that is why it took so friggin long, I do not have any reason what so ever to have a big block when all I am towing is at the most 7000# at the very most, it would be a total waste of money no matter how you cut it...less it is a ego thing, then hell throw in a 12 cyclinder allison aircraft engine in yours when you get one....

Last edited:
well they wanted $4995.00 for it when I walked in....I walked out paying $4200 and getting $1200 for my 92 F-150...

As far as the 454 comment, that is why it took so friggin long, I do not have any reason what so ever to have a big block when all I am towing is at the most 7000# at the very most, it would be a total waste of money no matter how you cut it...less it is a ego thing, then hell throw in a 12 cyclinder allison aircraft engine in yours when you get one....

You'll eventually wish you got a BB, but it is a very clean looking rig!!:awesomework:Congrats!!!!

I'm running a 454 BBC with a TH400 behind it. I have towed with a 350 before and it was a slug compared to my 454. Now if its a built 350, built for towing then you'll be better, But the gas mileage is going to be the same as a BBC. I cant afford one of the diesel rigs, so I do what I can. I'm towing about the same as you or more. :cool:

Lots of folks pull with burbs.

The rear end is the weak point. Is it 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

3/4 t by the 2nd pic; (8 lugs); most likely has the c-clip rear LD 14bolt, which should be just fine for the weight he's towing............you could upgrade to a FF 14bolt if the rear diff is questionable, bolts right in!!!!:awesomework:

Lots of folks pull with burbs.

The rear end is the weak point. Is it 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

Good to know. I picked up a '78 1/2 ton burb with a 400/t350/203 for $700 over the winter. I havent got to use it but I bought it as a tow rig. Even came with an old school 8000 ramsey.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions...yes it is a 3/4 ton but unsure on the axle set-ups...

now to get the mods done on the 4Runner and I am ready for this summers runs...

Nice catch, and it will be cheaper to tow with than a diesel. My Dodge 6.7 CTD is costing me $.51 cents a mile to tow with. :awesomework:

Nice catch, and it will be cheaper to tow with than a diesel. My Dodge 6.7 CTD is costing me $.51 cents a mile to tow with. :awesomework:

Ya I truely hope I get the best of both worlds...But with the price of fuel these days I dont think eny one will win, I quess it is just the price we pay to keep us outa the bars during the day light hours...:beer:

Latest posts