• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

air shocks or coilovers

rockmike

Im a few months away from this choice on my build.

The rig will be samurai based,toy axles,38" swampers,should weigh in around 3,200 lbs loaded with tools and parts.

Whats youre guys opinion on the air shock vs the coilovers.

My plan for the rig is trail riding and rockcrawling,I like to run the snatches trails and rimrock.

This is the wild card,I also like to run the rig out at the Juniper sand dunes.NOt looking to launch the thing 20 feet into the air but would like somthing that I can get a lil bit of air under.

Appreciate you opinions on this,thanks,Mike.:corn:

Thanks Brian could I press you for more info,like why you reccomend the coilovers.

I think once you find the right spring rate for you rig youll find that its a better ride and lets you blow an o ring on either...... the coil overs will still ride you out on the spring. You can also jump on coil overs ...it isnt recommended for nitrogen shocks. If i had the money i would have ran coil overs on my tacoma instead of nitro shocks.

with your setup it sounds like air shocks would be your best option bit i would consult an expert before you pull the trigger.

Just got these for $450 shipped. w/dual coilover kits.
Coilover take more time to get setup right but should be a better performance shock.
DSC00139.jpg

The rig will be samurai based,toy axles,38" swampers,should weigh in around 3,200 lbs loaded with tools and parts.

Whats youre guys opinion on the air shock vs the coilovers.

Be more concerned about and pay close attention to suspension geometry over which spring rated, damping force is todays popular choice.

When set properly air shocks can provide a very predictable, neutral feel while offering exceptional flex when matched with proper suspension geometry. In some cases a sway-bar can substantially improve the roll tendencies.

Is that approximately correct Mark?

Anywho, I like the airshocks on my rig so far.

The major disadvantage of using Air Shocks on a trail rig vs. Coil Overs is that during high speed use the air struts will pump up and become more rigid, the coil over will not.

One way around this is to use the 2.5" stuts but then you start dealing with increased cost.

I was gonna say, when I had the buggy on rough flat trail sections at higher speeds, the ride was definitely firm.

Typicly when you order coilovers--you don't get springs or dual rate kits...

Unless you are working with a very knowledagble vendor who knows the product--and you know what you are doing--will you want to order springs with your coilovers..

And as per the origional poster---- I prefer coilovers. The ride to me is more constant--and can handle the higher speeds....

Typicly when you order coilovers--you don't get springs or dual rate kits...

Unless you are working with a very knowledagble vendor who knows the product--and you know what you are doing--will you want to order springs with your coilovers..

thats what threw me off, he stated he had the dualrate kits also. That seems cheap too me.