• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

antifreeze/water evporation

How can you pressure test a head when its off the engine? Also, Ive seem some alum cylinder heard suffer from electrolosis and erode the head around the head gasket. Its pretty obvious once you remove the head.

Dont forget about the 12mm bolt thats hidden in the oil bath for the distributor gear.

There is a plate that is bolted to the head to create a seal to pressure test for cracks and voids. Easily done.

How can you pressure test a head when its off the engine? Also, Ive seem some alum cylinder heard suffer from electrolosis and erode the head around the head gasket. Its pretty obvious once you remove the head.

I have done dozens of toyota head jobs and NEVER once had a cracked head. Cracked valves sure, but never a cracked head.

I have had over a dozen rotten heads that have been eaten beyond repair from electrolysis.

Electrolysis is the most common cause of head failure on a 22r/re.

I found 2 cracked in the exhaust chamber while searching for a good one to put back on the 4runner last year. You could barely see the cracks but they sure leaked under pressure. It may be unusual but I can testify they are out there. I may have found the only 2 ever to have that happen. With my luck that may be true. That said, I will pay the 25 bucks the machinist charges me to check them before I ever put one back on again:eeek:

Last edited:

Latest posts