• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

any one seen the new and improved 14 bolt

WTF is improved about it other than going from a $100 base axle that is damned near bulletproof right out the gate now you get to drop $2700 on a empty case and center section? Fawk that. :haha:

WTF is improved about it other than going from a $100 base axle that is damned near bulletproof right out the gate now you get to drop $2700 on a empty case and center section? Fawk that. :haha:

gain in ground clearance and drop in weight
the only real downfall of the axle
yeah the price tag is pretty steep though

gain in ground clearance and drop in weight
the only real downfall of the axle
yeah the price tag is pretty steep though

Ground clearance I can understand but you can shave a 14 bolt real easy. The drop in weight is retarded. I just don't understand the vast majority of "buggy" guys running built to fawk axles with small light half ton brakes and lightened parts all over the place so they can put 200 lbs of water in each tire... Sure it moves the center of gravity down a bit but is seriously can't make THAT much of a difference.

To me this is just the latest BLING item that isn't needed but is wanted to be a cool guy.

Ground clearance I can understand but you can shave a 14 bolt real easy. The drop in weight is retarded. I just don't understand the vast majority of "buggy" guys running built to fawk axles with small light half ton brakes and lightened parts all over the place so they can put 200 lbs of water in each tire... Sure it moves the center of gravity down a bit but is seriously can't make THAT much of a difference.

To me this is just the latest BLING item that isn't needed but is wanted to be a cool guy.

70lbs here and there adds up quick

most bling parts arent needed
however its nice to see progression

I'm not diasgreeing with you at all there is no reason to do all your fab work with 3/8" plate and make the chassis out of 1/4" tube but in all reality if the weight is in the axles you are doing just fine.

Alot of people are running 9" front and rear axles and the gears and ARBs are not holding up. That is why these are being made. For racers with lots of cash and wan't to go fast.

I would of bought into these 6 months ago...

Knowing what I got into my junkyard 60's, I'll never go junkyard diffs again.

I touched that at Moab on Easted weekend,(maybe twice). It had only been off the CNC machine 72 hrs. PT said they had to wait for it to finish on the CNC, then drive it strait to Moab.
The pinion and carrier size between a 9" and 14B, NO COMPARISON.
But 3rd member style 14B was sick, and they will cut the housing however you want, even offset for frontends.

This topic came up a while back on KrazyK5
I've always though the Quick change style 3rd members
were a good idea untill I saw this one.
Being into Broncos, and wheeling with them a lot, I think
a spare third member 9 inche sitting in camp just in case is awesome.
Yeah it's cool that they fabbed up a 14bolt like that but, besides
the owner of a Trophy truck, who is gonna really need one or two.
Bling Bling PBB fab at it's best.

Its bad enough that its so damn expensive for a good front end.
Now the rear ends are starting to ballon in price too :rb:

If some of you guys were to use your rig to it's potential then you would understand the need for beefy products like this one.:cool:

This topic came up a while back on KrazyK5
I've always though the Quick change style 3rd members
were a good idea untill I saw this one.
Being into Broncos, and wheeling with them a lot, I think
a spare third member 9 inche sitting in camp just in case is awesome.
Yeah it's cool that they fabbed up a 14bolt like that but, besides
the owner of a Trophy truck, who is gonna really need one or two.
Bling Bling PBB fab at it's best.

Its bad enough that its so damn expensive for a good front end.
Now the rear ends are starting to ballon in price too :rb:

I'd run one front and rear :cool:

$3-4000 in diffs and housings is not very much when you got $30,00+ in parts into a buggy.

That being and able to nicely mig weld everything without having to deal with Cast is while also getting away from some of the 9" diff issues.:awesomework:

I choped narrowed, swapped axle ends, sandblasted them and replaced all the parts I gained by buying used other than the inners C's and the center chunks... :mad: Oh well I had a stricter budget when I started, I ditched that idea a few weeks into the build.

I did save a few bucks at the price of sweat and blood though.

If some of you guys were to use your rig to it's potential then you would understand the need for beefy products like this one.:cool:

I'll keep my shaved cast steel 14 bolt thanks. I don't see a need for anything else, if I decide I need bigger later I'll go front loader rockwell and never look back. :D

I'll keep my shaved cast steel 14 bolt thanks. I don't see a need for anything else, if I decide I need bigger later I'll go front loader rockwell and never look back. :D

Did you mean top loader? front loader rocks:puke:
This drop out 14 is advertised as having 3/4" more diff clearance than a 60! This new axle is very inovative and I look forward to seeing them in the future. I have been around rockwells extensively and they are fun but really they are so heavy that horse power and big tires are manditory even for rock crawling. Top loaders have a high center of gravity to start. The weight of the piggy rockwells is an advantage at that point but when diffed out in rocks they just don't scrape and slide through like a 60 or this new 14 will. Don't under estimate how much $ rockwells cost to build. I welded my diffs,mohawked housing,built rims, and narrowed them myself to save money on my new build but in the end after I get chromo axles and brakes:haha::haha::haha: not cheap.

I'm not sure how a feel about this new product yet. Like others here, I'm unsure of its value in the 14B market. It looked cool at Moab and appeared especially impressive compared to a 9".
Traditionally, the 14B has been used as a full width axle on cheap/heavy rigs since it's pretty easy to find them for about $50. Up here we don't really have the full size off road market seen in other areas (some, but nothing to compared to others). Down south it's very common to see an 80's or early 90's 4dr K3500s stripped down and made into a cabtruck. Throw a locker in up front, weld the rear and you're good for a set of 44s. The 14B hasn't been a huge success in the cut to width market due its size and weight.
Most up here consider the HP 60 the best option and UP HERE, it usually is. In other areas where tire sizes are still growing because of the wheeling geography, rear HP 60s are getting torn up and people are looking for stronger high clearance options. Expect to see a new 60 product on the market soon that will utilize the new Super 60 gears that are significantly larger and stronger than normal 60 gears.
Good 4340 35 sp shafts are usually strong enough to handle big tires but 40 sp shafts are becoming more available all the time. CTM is getting side gears rebroached to make Dana 80s with 40 sp shafts. I could easily see them doing the same to a 30sp 14B side gear.
Time will tell but I don't see this as a huge seller in our off road market. Comp buggie guys could use it but that's a very small part of the market. It could gain a following in the trophy truck market that is current using 11" custom 9" centers (yeah- I know that doesn't make much sense). IIRC the current market price is about $3500 for a spooled 3rd with gears. If the new 14B can better this price and provide the racers with the gear ratios they need, this new product may be the answer.

Did you mean top loader? front loader rocks:puke:
This drop out 14 is advertised as having 3/4" more diff clearance than a 60! This new axle is very inovative and I look forward to seeing them in the future. I have been around rockwells extensively and they are fun but really they are so heavy that horse power and big tires are manditory even for rock crawling. Top loaders have a high center of gravity to start. The weight of the piggy rockwells is an advantage at that point but when diffed out in rocks they just don't scrape and slide through like a 60 or this new 14 will. Don't under estimate how much $ rockwells cost to build. I welded my diffs,mohawked housing,built rims, and narrowed them myself to save money on my new build but in the end after I get chromo axles and brakes:haha::haha::haha: not cheap.

Nope I meant front loader. Although it can be done it is far more work than I'd like to get into to run a low rig on top loaders. Damned diff sticks way the fawk up there. The top loader is a cheap axle i you do it right the biggest expense in the end is the shafts. The brakes are simple, mazda rotor with a yota caliper on a flat plate bracket bolted down with the pinion seal housing bolts... The shave and narrow are simple too as you already know so there is no reason to spend much money on that.

Nope I meant front loader. Although it can be done it is far more work than I'd like to get into to run a low rig on top loaders. Damned diff sticks way the fawk up there. The top loader is a cheap axle i you do it right the biggest expense in the end is the shafts. The brakes are simple, mazda rotor with a yota caliper on a flat plate bracket bolted down with the pinion seal housing bolts... The shave and narrow are simple too as you already know so there is no reason to spend much money on that.

106 rockwells?

whats the price on those these days :redneck: