• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anybody tapped an 03-06 Jeep steering box?

the4x4pig

I already have a PSC pump. I’d like to add a ram. Anybody have any experience tapping a newer tj box for ram assist? Probably a good time to rebuild the box too.

I haven't.

Had good luck with Redneck Rams tapped steering boxes, and, currently run a PSC tapped box.

The PSC is a bigger box (think Dodge Durango) and is higher quality.

The Redneck was really really affordable.

I'm with TreeClimber. I went with the ported PSC bigbore box for my LJ. Swapped the PSC pump and reservoir that I was running in my TJ I had to go with it along with their dual cooler setup for it and trans. So far I haven't had a need for the ram assist with the 37s. I am sure I'll get to where I do. But that bigbore box turns with ease on trails when unlocked up front.

Tapping a box is a waste of time without upgrading the PUMP. Unless you just want a slow ass steering system with a real good steering stabilizer.

Your pump only has so much power/volume. Adding a ram is going to split up the fluid delivery. More fluid to the ram = LESS fluid to the box.

That stock pump only has so much force in it. Its like adding a 5 way splitter to your garden hose. You just end up with 5 weak garden hoses.