• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

anyone else have this prob with leaf springs?

hmm, never seen a front trac bar, i gotta build a rear track bar first, can i get away with using schedule 40, for a trac bar?

These opinions are strictly my own.

i dont know, i was pretty damn impressed with the amount of flex the springs have, and no spring wrap in the rear, and they ride really good! Someone on pirate told me to just build and anti kickback bar behind the shackle, I might just try that.

Your impressive spring articulation is the exact reason you have a bent spring.

Any time you go 'spring over', you gain articulation due to two factors. Factor one: You're running a relatively flat spring. Flat springs are easier to flex, as they aren't as positively arched, ergo they are able to flex in both up and down directions much easier. Factor two: They are 'softer'. A 'heavier' spring is needed to support the weight of the rig. However by springing over, you've added a substantial 'lift' by raising the rig above the axle, so the spring doesn't need to 'lift' it as high and a 'softer' spring rate can achieve the same lift.

However the downside to the soft, flexy SOA ride are plentiful.
1) Bent springs
2) Axle wrap
3) Front end bouncing under steep inclines
4) Frond drive shaft slip yoke issues.
These negative attributes are compounded also when you go spring over because you're now also putting a much higher leverage on the spring. Let's say for example you have 36 inch tall tires. Then the center of the tire is 18 inches tall. With a spring under configuration, the spring will be about 16 inches from the ground (1/2 the tire's height, less the 2 inches or so the axle takes up) That means the tire is trying to bend the springs with only 16 inches of leverage. However in a spring under, you've now increased the leverage of the tire's contact patch to around 20 inches. The spring over really increases the tendency to bend springs.

The cheapest fix I can suggest is to find some main leafs that are 'military wrapped'. That style of main leaf has a secondary main leaf that is the entire length of the spring, and wrapped around the eyes. Creating, in effect, twice the difficulty of bending.

Your impressive spring articulation is the exact reason you have a bent spring.

Any time you go 'spring over', you gain articulation due to two factors. Factor one: You're running a relatively flat spring. Flat springs are easier to flex, as they aren't as positively arched, ergo they are able to flex in both up and down directions much easier. Factor two: They are 'softer'. A 'heavier' spring is needed to support the weight of the rig. However by springing over, you've added a substantial 'lift' by raising the rig above the axle, so the spring doesn't need to 'lift' it as high and a 'softer' spring rate can achieve the same lift.

However the downside to the soft, flexy SOA ride are plentiful.
1) Bent springs
2) Axle wrap
3) Front end bouncing under steep inclines
4) Frond drive shaft slip yoke issues.
These negative attributes are compounded also when you go spring over because you're now also putting a much higher leverage on the spring. Let's say for example you have 36 inch tall tires. Then the center of the tire is 18 inches tall. With a spring under configuration, the spring will be about 16 inches from the ground (1/2 the tire's height, less the 2 inches or so the axle takes up) That means the tire is trying to bend the springs with only 16 inches of leverage. However in a spring under, you've now increased the leverage of the tire's contact patch to around 20 inches. The spring over really increases the tendency to bend springs.

The cheapest fix I can suggest is to find some main leafs that are 'military wrapped'. That style of main leaf has a secondary main leaf that is the entire length of the spring, and wrapped around the eyes. Creating, in effect, twice the difficulty of bending.

You spent a decent amount of time in thought and then puting those thought to the screen. Too bad the spring over had jack **** to do with the bent spring... He already said he ran into stuff with the shackle, thats the smoking gun. If I'm not mistaken those are the 1" leaves designed for a spring over, hence the lack of axle wrap he spoke of.

More of my biased opinions.

You spent a decent amount of time in thought and then puting those thought to the screen. Too bad the spring over had jack **** to do with the bent spring... He already said he ran into stuff with the shackle, thats the smoking gun. If I'm not mistaken those are the 1" leaves designed for a spring over, hence the lack of axle wrap he spoke of.

Yeah.
He hit something.
Big whoop.
But if he'd originally had double wrapped springs, it'd taken twice the force to bend 'em.
And I'm not sold on your logic either. Spring over always increases leverage, which IS a contributing factor when **** bends.

Yeah.
He hit something.
Big whoop.
But if he'd originally had double wrapped springs, it'd taken twice the force to bend 'em.
And I'm not sold on your logic either. Spring over always increases leverage, which IS a contributing factor when **** bends.

Stop reading things I didn't type... Leaves bend, period. No matter the cofiguration they are used.. The fact that he hit something is in fact the direct cause of the bent leaves. Yes a double military or oven triple snail wrapped main would have made it harder to bend but it WILL bend.

I know a guy that had an E brake failure last winter in his yota. The truck rolled down a hill backwards into a tree hitting squarely on the shackle. The exo shifted forward a bit and the all pro snail wrapped spring was not only bent like the one pictured but the sleeve and bolt pushed through the urethane bushing and busted the main eye.

So yea, anything will bend :;

build something to keep your front shackle from inverting and allowing the spring to bend. Forget about the shackle reversal, you just need to properly setup the front shackle. You should also build some big clamps for the frame end of your springs. A front traction bar also does wonders for the front end leaf setup.

What he said.

I've bent plenty of stock YJ main leafs like that.

Build a "stop" for the shackle so that it can't invert when you ram it into something. The RE 1.5" SOA springs are great springs, but you still have to treat them nice... they aren't indestructible.

Stop reading things I didn't type... Leaves bend, period. No matter the cofiguration they are used.. The fact that he hit something is in fact the direct cause of the bent leaves. Yes a double military or oven triple snail wrapped main would have made it harder to bend but it WILL bend.

I know a guy that had an E brake failure last winter in his yota. The truck rolled down a hill backwards into a tree hitting squarely on the shackle. The exo shifted forward a bit and the all pro snail wrapped spring was not only bent like the one pictured but the sleeve and bolt pushed through the urethane bushing and busted the main eye.

So yea, anything will bend :;

how many springs have YOU personally bent?:corn:

how many springs have YOU personally bent?:corn:

I bent both rear mains when I first built this truck. I made the mistake of not adding a full length second leaf to support the main on a set of broncoII springs. Bent a 52" chevy main when I rolled the truck last year and both of my 3rd gen rears up front main and second leaves are S shaped from outright abuse.

Anything else? :D

nothing else. I just wanted you to tell how good rears up front were again!!:haha::kissmyass::haha:

LOVE 'EM! considering these springs had 127k on them when I put them in, the smallest tire ever wheeled on was a set of 35's for one trip otherwise it's been 38's - 44's over the last 6 years I'd say I am still getting my money's worth. :D

Latest posts