• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

anyone else have this prob with leaf springs?

RUBITANk

So took the jeep out a couple of weeks ago to elbe, for the first time, since the new suspension. The Rubicon express springs were brand new, well they had about a 1000 miles on them driving on a road, and a couple of flex shots. They are the RE 1.5 SOA springs, and for some reason, the front left spring got bent, after 1 wheeling trip. The question that i have is, Can the spring be re arched? or rebuilt? or am i gonna have to drop another 160$ on a damn leaf spring? That Rubicon express wont even warranty :mad:..... Here are some pix of the pile of ****

2009-08-26115403.jpg

2009-08-26115338.jpg

2009-08-26115338.jpg

2009-08-26115302.jpg

jeep4.jpg

jeep5.jpg

:corn::corn::corn:

Reverse Shackel kit........ (made Mine)

I bent 3 brand new ProComp springs on my YJ. Reversed the shackles and have not bent one yet.

So what did you drive into? When you run into something with a forward shackled rig it bends the mains just like yours.

First was up at Evens creek, riding the side wallof a rut going up a trail in the mud and hit a tree root just right :mad:

The other two were both bent on the "Busy Wild" trail. (that should be self explanitory)

All three were from tree root or stump, but none of them were hard hits. So it really pissed me off.

lol yeap busy wild + full width axles, i hit a whole bunch of ****! lol

You can pick your poison, either deal with a bit of axle walk and move the shackles to the rear or keep the shackles up front and bend leaves.

If you do a shackle reversal correctly you won't have any axle walk, all bolt on kits SUCK, build it yourself and do it right.

or instead of wasting your time on a shackle flip/tire rubbing fire wall issues if you do so. pending on tire size...

why don't you just build a guard for your shackle... or better yet hack the shackle mount off the bottom of the frame and either drill a hole through the frame/plate it and remount your shackle tube, or even mount it on top of the frame,

your rig will sit lower and your shackle will be less prone to being hit by **** because it will no be tucked up tight to the frame... and trac bars do wonders for leaf springs:awesomework:

Yep i agree toss the leaves throw a 3link under it and call it good:awesomework:

yeah let me just pull out 3-4 grand out of my ass and throw it on there real quick lol:awesomework::awesomework::awesomework:

Realistically, for now, i am just gonna make my own shackle reversal, and build me a traction bar....

Yeah coil over and air shocks are the ****, but if you set up your leaf springs the right way and have some good springs, you will have some damn good flex also. :fawkdancesmiley:

Yep i agree toss the leaves throw a 3link under it and call it good:awesomework:

Yep just "throw" a three link under it, it's as simple as that. :fawkdancesmiley:

Ramming forwards into vertical obstacles will do that to leaf springs. After bending a few (leafs) I just drive more carefully, especially when the front tires encounter a large obstacle.

Link type suspension is the ultimate solution but not the simplest. A new leaf spring will be just a little cheaper and have you wheeling again sooner. :awesomework:

If you are building your own shackle reversay do yourself a huge favor and put the shackle tube higher inside the frame and run a long shackle. You'll get the smooth action of a long shackle without it hanging so far down under your frame. That will also help keep the lift down. :D

i dont know, i was pretty damn impressed with the amount of flex the springs have, and no spring wrap in the rear, and they ride really good! Someone on pirate told me to just build and anti kickback bar behind the shackle, I might just try that.

build something to keep your front shackle from inverting and allowing the spring to bend. Forget about the shackle reversal, you just need to properly setup the front shackle. You should also build some big clamps for the frame end of your springs. A front traction bar also does wonders for the front end leaf setup.