• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone ever done the Carmax thing?

customcj7 said:
I give a nice :flipgotcha: to Carmax.

We had a Mercedes that was Certified Pre-owned, which means that the damn thing has to be immaculate to meet their terms. It was a low-mileage one-off. Meaning an old dude bought his wife the C320, but had a custom paint choice picked from the factory. They had it painted in an E-class color that was not available on C-classes. I didn't even know you could do that. Bought it with 24k. Tried to see what Carmax would give for it at 75k miles.

They came out and said, this car has been painted. Well yeah, every car has. "No, this car has been repainted so it's been wrecked." Nope try again, and I explained the story behind the car, he then tells me, nope it's been wrecked. No, it never has (under our ownership) and per Mercedes that would get them in a lot of trouble legally if it had been.

Offered me $2,000 for an 8 year old C-320 in immaculate condition. And it wasn't just the lowball, but how they told me I was lying to them.

Sold the damn thing to a Hadji for $9500 a few weeks later.
No bash on you but I get maybe 3 customers a year that bring me a car and ask me what I think it would cost to repair a nasty dent or "hail damage" on a roof rail etc.

They dang near want to slap you when you point out to them that it's been painted before, as in it's not factory paint. Or that the damage is not hail, it's from someone breaking ice off their car with a ball peen hammer.

Ether way, customers for whatever reason don't want to hear anything other than what they want. Lol

So the reason I point these things out is because it is much more difficult to repair that damage versus what they thought they wanted repaired. Mainly because of paint quality

You can walk around a car or truck in about 3 minutes. Rub your fingers down all the door jams, back of the hood edge, back edge of the deck lid, edges of fenders where they meet the hood seam. I don't care how good of a painter you are, unless it's a Ferrari, the painter didn't wipe the edges with reducer to hide the rough texture.

So it can look untraceable to the average eye, give it a good rub down and you can tell what panels have been painted. Unless. . . . . It a Ferrari. Lol

Don't you know Maserati's are chick cars?

In my hood that's about all that drive them whether it's a quattroporte or a gran turismo, huge chick following for whatever reason. Lol

tonybolton said:
So my Lamborghini is OK? ;)
Meh if it came from Vegas, chances are it's been crashed by a billionaires kid OR been on the race track. Then facias and hoods get painted and then a new clear bra is put on.

They get pretty sneaky, so go out in the garage and check. Lol

LightBnDr said:
Don't you know Maserati's are chick cars?

In my hood that's about all that drive them whether it's a quattroporte or a gran turismo, huge chick following for whatever reason. Lol

No I didn't because I ain't driving none of them . My old junky f350 is perfect for me!!!