• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone have any idea?

kingkrawler

What model tranny and transfer these are? The guy I bought them from said it was the W56 out of an '89 22RE, but they both look different from mine in my '85.

DSC_6254.jpg

DSC_6253.jpg

DSC_6255.jpg

DSC_6256.jpg

He also said that he did some research and found that the purple paint on the flange means it has a certain gearing to it and that all had a certain paint color to mean a certain gearing. Is that true too? I've never heard of such a thing.

You had better call him ASAP! that is from behind a toyota 3.0 V6 motor! that will not work in any way shape or form with your vehicle!
It will not bolt up to your motor and the transfer case is chain driven = junk.

GODDAMN IT!!! I ****ing knew it! Now I have to drive out to meet up with him again and the hunt for a W56 is on again.

Now that I have what I really need, I need to know if I HAVE to have a gasket between the tranny and transfer case.

So, do I have to use a gasket or can I just use some gray RTV?

I know this is way late... but, just by my eyes, which are wrong as much as right, that t-case is top-shift. The V6 t-case is forward shift on my GF's 4runner and the spare V6 tranny/t-case I have. I believe(d) that this is the R-series tranny from the turbo w/the top-shift, gear driven case...?

I got the right tranny and transfer case this time but the guy I got it from took them apart to sell separately and I bought them both.

I just need to know if I really do need a gasket...

c'mon guys, boredom here, i dont want to put it all together to find out i have to take it all apart again...

Last edited:
Never mind. Would someone like to tell me the part number then? The retard at the parts store had no idea what I was talking about. I had to tell him three times that it's a 4x4. What an idiot!

Last edited:
Never mind. Would someone like to tell me the part number then? The retard at the parts store had no idea what I was talking about. I had to tell him three times that it's a 4x4. What an idiot!
You might try 4x4wire...they have a decent tech section for Toyota, and a parts number thread too.

I know this is way late... but, just by my eyes, which are wrong as much as right, that t-case is top-shift. The V6 t-case is forward shift on my GF's 4runner and the spare V6 tranny/t-case I have. I believe(d) that this is the R-series tranny from the turbo w/the top-shift, gear driven case...?
I believe my friend, that you are right. My V6 4Runner also has a forward shift t-case on its tranny.

~T.J.

EDIT: Just double checked. Seems the turbo tranny and t-case are also forward shift?

Last edited: