• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone messed with a daihatsu?

Rix

Daihatsu Rocky..???
Kinda seems like a sami on steroids.
little longer, little wider.
mechanicals would be of no concern, probably just swap it all out...
dual removeable tops, full frame (don't know how strong)...???

Depends on what you are doing.
If you replace all the mech stuff all you have to worry about is finding body parts. That is if you plan on keeping the body in tact.
In other words parts are kinds hard to find.
As far as I know they are not related to anything, no other models (in the states anyways).

Somebody had one for a while and was thinking about building it... Was it Bunk?

Apparently Rich used to have one. Probably for a week.

Not that it helps you much, but they're also rebadged and sold as Toyota Blizzards in other countries. In not sure what it would take to put one in a Rocky, but the Blizzard came with a Toyota 2L-T diesel. It's anemic in a truck, but supposedly gets around pretty well in the lightweight Blizzard.

600CIMG2477.jpg

Somebody had one for a while and was thinking about building it... Was it Bunk?

Not that it helps you much, but they're also rebadged and sold as Toyota Blizzards in other countries. In not sure what it would take to put one in a Rocky, but the Blizzard came with a Toyota 2L-T diesel. It's anemic in a truck, but supposedly gets around pretty well in the lightweight Blizzard.

600CIMG2477.jpg

I knew there was some sort of internal sharing between toyota and daihatsu, never really researched it though. I worked on the last couple Rockys that came through the dealership before we didin't have to work on them anymore. There are a couple around my area, I've been curious.

I knew there was some sort of internal sharing between toyota and daihatsu, never really researched it though.

Apparently Daihatsu also used to build some of Toyota's 3B diesel motors, which are legendary for reliability and longevity outside the US (US never got them except gray market).

Yeah, other than the front end being - IFS -, they're a stout little rig.
rear 5.29's - removable 2 piece hard top w/ popper rear windows. boxed frame, power steering.... etc....

it just depends on what direction you want to go?

build it? again - just depends what you want? there made decent & will last a lifetime w/ proper care. i gave my stock one to one of the guys on here, he threw on some 38's or something...

do a SAS conversion, *(straight axle) and leaf's... call it good.

again, just depends what you want out of it. but a good platform for OUR trails around here. which most call for SWB rigs. *(short wheel base)

i enjoyed the Rocky, but considered it to be no different from a Sidekick or Tracker... more or less the same rig.

Yeah, other than the front end being - IFS -, they're a stout little rig.
rear 5.29's - removable 2 piece hard top w/ popper rear windows. boxed frame, power steering.... etc....

it just depends on what direction you want to go?

build it? again - just depends what you want? there made decent & will last a lifetime w/ proper care. i gave my stock one to one of the guys on here, he threw on some 38's or something...

do a SAS conversion, *(straight axle) and leaf's... call it good.

again, just depends what you want out of it. but a good platform for OUR trails around here. which most call for SWB rigs. *(short wheel base)

i enjoyed the Rocky, but considered it to be no different from a Sidekick or Tracker... more or less the same rig.

I was thinking of toyota running gear and have at it.

:redneck: This is my fiance's Rocky after I got my hands on it. Was a nice little truck till we rolled it out on the farm. Still runs, exhaust broke off at the header, and now it needs a fuel pump, but fun as hell when you just want to mess around on the property.
Jobsitepicssuite315008.jpg

DSCN0386.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

theres a guy here in town who built one of these up. i think he had an 89 rocky and a 85 toyota with the 22RE. he said almost everything just bolted right into place. the electrical even had the same connector ends. he put the whole drivetrain, plus the dash and guages (exact fit).

he takes it out all over the place and is usally the one breaking trail in the snow. he can crawl right up and over almost evey obstacle.

seem like cool little rigs.
I worked on the last few that came through the dealership about 5 years ago, stock of course.

:redneck: This is my fiance's Rocky after I got my hands on it. Was a nice little truck till we rolled it out on the farm. Still runs, exhaust broke off at the header, and now it needs a fuel pump, but fun as hell when you just want to mess around on the property.
Jobsitepicssuite315008.jpg

DSCN0386.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

did you totally kill it? do you want to sell it?