• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone own an ecoboost?

creepycrawly

Ok, so let's keep the Uncle Rick comments to the bare minimum. I rented an ecoboost from the local dealer yesterday and put 760 miles on it. I had heard they pulled really well and I used it to pull a 2200# u haul trailer with a jeep on it for 120 of those miles. The truck got a solid 18 mpg at 80 with no trailer and 12.5 at 70 loaded with the trailer. It surprised the hell out of me how well the truck pulled the trailer. It also had plenty of ass to pass when not loaded.

I was thoroughly impressed with the truck despite the fact that was a base fleet model with no fancy radio and rubber flooring. Actually, I really liked that as well. The seats could use a little more lumbar support but 760 miles in a day is about as far as I ever drive even on cross country trips. My 1000 mile days are over.

So I thought I would inquire what a similarly equipped truck would run me. Just curious at this point. Well, I can get one at a super reasonable price. I don't want to trade my Tacoma in, but they made me a great offer and I am seriously thinking about it. The issue is...and my mind was blown...I was driving a new 2.7 truck. My jaw dropped! You mean, the 3.5 has more ponies and is the same price? Yep! Ok, I want to drive one and lets talk numbers.

They don't have one, but got me to drive a 12 model which isn't the same truck. No worries, they will get one in and call me. I say all that to say this...does anyone have a 3.5 ecoboost that cares to share real world experience, good or bad? Thanks fellas.

I've got a buddy that just went back to the 5 liter from an Eco boost. He said the Eco boost had more power when you were gassing on it but just normal driving he likes the 5 liter said it felt better around town. That being said I just bought a 2014 fx4 today with the 5 liter, I'm a Chevy guy without a doubt but I love these new fords, probably one of the best feeling trucks I've driven. No idea how it's going to feel with a trailer behind it yet tho.

Did you drive an ecoboost? I know it is a little late now, but I was really impressed with it. I am going to go Monday to another dealership and drive a 3.5 in the '15 model and then get them to work some numbers for me. I hate to say it, but I am pretty convinced that I am about to trade in a less than 6 month old Tacoma for an ecoboost. It will be a bottom of the line work truck, but I won't have to go rent a truck to pull a jeep...

My uncle has one that I think is a 13' or 14' and loves it. He farms and pulls overweight trailers and wagons on a daily basis in the summer and it way outperforms his Chevy that he was driving. He has had Chevys since late 70's until this truck but the heavy loads he kept having transmission problems in them.

I've drove it a couple times and was quite impressed with it. Pulls great and drives well too. Interior is really nice and laid out pretty good. If I was looking at trucks it would surely be one to check out. From what I hear it takes 10-15,000 miles before you start seeing a noticeable difference in fuel mileage. His was getting around 13mpg until it got some mileage on it and has since improved.

We have several 4 door F150's at work that have the Ecoboost. They have performed well and have plenty of power. I personally haven't had any direct experience with one, but to date, my station hasn't had any issues with them. Also, the guys who have been assigned one are very happen with them.

I own a 2013 ecoboost And pull car trailers and a 25 ft boat with no problem at all. Really love the truck and the way it drives and rides flashemifyougotem

Dad has one, I don't remember the year, but it is CC 4x4.

I love the way it rides/drives, I haven't got to pull anything with it yet. He claims he is getting high teens on MPGs, has had it for well over a year, maybe 2.
Truck has tons of room, back seat is huge

He had a 5.0 before this one, and a newer 4.6 before that
I have had 2 5.4s and an older 4.6.............this is by far his favorite out of all of them

I personally didn't want a 15 because of the aluminum bodies and they are cutting crazy deals in left over 14's right now, but I didn't even drive an Eco boost due to I found a 14 with 14,250 miles that was decked out for 16,000 under the original sticker

My 13 has the 3.5 and I'm lucky to get 16mpg, winter time up here is 13mpg. I have a buddy that bought the smaller eco and gets 21 all the time. Mine is faster, but I'd rather have the mileage.

dynajeep said:
My 13 has the 3.5 and I'm lucky to get 16mpg, winter time up here is 13mpg. I have a buddy that bought the smaller eco and gets 21 all the time. Mine is faster, but I'd rather have the mileage.

That's something I am struggling with. I was 100% satisfied with the 2.7 until I found out there was a "bigger and better" ecoboost. I couldn't believe it towed as well as it did and was that small of a motor. With the cruise set at 79 it only got 18 mpg but it also had 1007 miles on it when I picked it up. I have heard they pick up a couple of mpg's as they break in. It pulled the heavy Uhaul trailer and jeep with no issues and the trans ran 3 degrees hotter than when unloaded. I was impressed. I want to go drive a 3.5 before I decide. I just feel like if I can get them for the same price (which I was told I could) then I'd be crazy not to.

Went from a 2005 F350 CC powerstroke to an 2013 f150 CC Ecoboost 4 x 4 with 3.31 gears. Power is excellent on the ecoboost, but I have been very unhappy with the mileage. Avg of 13.9 over the past 10000 miles. I have not towed anything over 2000# yet. If it didn't have a 36 gallon tank I think that a lot more people would be unhappy with them. Went on a road trip from St. Louis to Denver with the cruise set between 75 & 82 and only got 13.1 mpg without pulling a trailer. My powerstroke averaged 15-16 on the highway with 35" tires. if you set the cruise at 60 on the Ecoboost, on flat ground it will do 18-19 mpg all day, but any hills or over 65 mph and it drops fast. I have a couple friends who have been much happier with the 5.0.

FFDave said:
Went from a 2005 F350 CC powerstroke to an 2013 f150 CC Ecoboost 4 x 4 with 3.31 gears. Power is excellent on the ecoboost, but I have been very unhappy with the mileage. Avg of 13.9 over the past 10000 miles. I have not towed anything over 2000# yet. If it didn't have a 36 gallon tank I think that a lot more people would be unhappy with them. Went on a road trip from St. Louis to Denver with the cruise set between 75 & 82 and only got 13.1 mpg without pulling a trailer. My powerstroke averaged 15-16 on the highway with 35" tires. if you set the cruise at 60 on the Ecoboost, on flat ground it will do 18-19 mpg all day, but any hills or over 65 mph and it drops fast. I have a couple friends who have been much happier with the 5.0.

Thats insane. Maybe I will stick with the 2.7 since I was more than happy with the power output it had and I know it gets 18 at 79. I usually drive 70-75 on the highway so it should be around 19 there which is what my tacoma gets, but I will still be able to pull the jeep when needed. Definitely good insight. Thanks a ton.

The people i know with them say the power is about equal to the 5.3 chevys. And the mileage isnt good. We pulled a trailer with two rzrs on it to brimstone and avg 11 mpg..

I had a 12 FX4 ecoboost. I pulled my enclosed hauler from Florida to various parks in the SE a dozen or so times, and ran the truck unloaded for work for about 40,000 additional miles. My enclosed Haulmark weighs @8300 lbs loaded, gears were 3.31.
Average mpg unloaded 15.9, highest was 21 taking it easy on a 5 hour trip in Florida.
Truck pulled the trailer surprisingly well. Unfortunately I was lucky to get 8 mpg, thankful for the 36 gallon tank for sure.

Recently traded for a 2012 f250 6.7 power stroke. I am getting the same mileage as the ecoboost unloaded, and after one trip with the same trailer, got about 10.5 mpg.
I do love the super duty, but the ecoboost did everything I ever asked with no issues or worries. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if it weren't for the completely horrible resale value. Paid 43k after discounts and rebates, 45k miles in less than 2 years got dealers offering 23k trade. Ridiculous.

Bama said:
The people i know with them say the power is about equal to the 5.3 chevys. And the mileage isnt good. We pulled a trailer with two rzrs on it to brimstone and avg 11 mpg..

Ive driven several 5.3 silverados and I can attest to the fact that the ecoboost will spank them! This one got 12 and change towing a 2200# Uhaul and a jeep on tons.

I also have a 5.3 tahoe and it would get left it the dust by the Ecoboost. There is a reason that Ford is putting them in their police interceptor package.

I've got a 13 cc on 35s. Pulls my buggy on a 10k equipment trailer with ease. Gets about 12 pulling, 15 around town and 17-18 on highway. Will smoke a 5.0 truck especially pulling a trailer. Very impressed so far, and I've always had power strokes and cummins.