• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone riding the STP this year

whiterice

I am going on my second year. Last year was the two-day trip and so this year am shooting for a one day ride. Leaving UW lot at 05:00am. My plan is to get into Portland around 8:00 pm. Should be fine unless there is bad weather or lots of flats.. Anyone else hitting the streets?
20070612scott0034dh2.jpg

I heard a little about this on MTBR, that's got to be a pretty brutal ride, where do you guys ride along? do you guys just take over a lane of I-5?:haha:

You can ride it in a single day or two days, but it is long and flat (as such, I have avoided in the past).

I mostly stick to knobby tires these days.

Still *planning* on the Desperado Dual (only the 100) in August in UT.

Ummm, I better start riding again. :redneck: Maybe I'll see you 'round Lake Washington one of these days.

Last edited:
Still *planning* on the Desperado Dual (only the 100) in August in UT.

Ummm, I better start riding again. :redneck: Maybe I'll see you 'round Lake Washington one of these days.

Yea I have only done that ride once. I liked it, might of been from the nice weather we rode in. I am thinking about riding it again this Sunday, 7/1. Would meet and leave Bothell around 7:00am and go to UW-renton-and so on. Up and over Juanita Dr. and back into Bothell. I'll repost if it works out.

you're a MTBer aren't you? I should ask you what I asked war-jeeper a while back....:eeek:

Doh i knew i forgot to reply to a PM:mad:

i will go back and look again at what you were asking later on this morning as i dont work and dont have much to do today lol sorry bout that

you're a MTBer aren't you? I should ask you what I asked war-jeeper a while back....:eeek:

Yes sir, at least as much as I can. I use to have a handful variety of rides, now only a 50lbs stupid fun pig. Sam and I use to be on ridemonkey a bunch, but I think the NWW has taken it's place.

As you know I am up kinda near Japanese Gultch. There use to be some fun downhill sections with a fatty drop at the bottom out there. Course, like every good trail it all got torn down.

Yes sir, at least as much as I can. I use to have a handful variety of rides, now only a 50lbs stupid fun pig. Sam and I use to be on ridemonkey a bunch, but I think the NWW has taken it's place.

As you know I am up kinda near Japanese Gultch. There use to be some fun downhill sections with a fatty drop at the bottom out there. Course, like every good trail it all got torn down.

Thats because it was all on boeing property and it was a liabilty issue for boeing

Gawd damn some of you guys need to learn how to ride inside the lines! It's not that damn hard to stay on the shoulder is it? I got caught in the traffic from the STP in Roy. I damn near mowed down a few that decided they NEEDED to be in the middle of my lane, because there was a bike length gap I left to keep from running into the back of the guy infront of me, he too, was constantly having to slam on the brakes because of knuckle heads that decided their 20 pound bike was really that intimidating to a full size car. I ride bikes too (both the ones those damn punk kids ride, and knobby shod), I get that it's fun to ride with a big pack, but that piece of pavement between the white and yellow lines is for cars/trucks, and unless there are no cars and trucks in that lane, or there is NO shoulder, you don't need to be there.

Last edited:
Thank you to enlightening us to the rules of the road, oh wise 16 year old. :looser:

I didn't get caught in it, but I agree with him. 9/10 bikers don't follow the rules of the road and are asking to get smooshed. What was that pop can vs freight train analogy again?

Gawd damn some of you guys need to learn how to ride inside the lines! It's not that damn hard to stay on the shoulder is it? I got caught in the traffic from the STP in Roy. I damn near mowed down a few that decided they NEEDED to be in the middle of my lane, because there was a bike length gap I left to keep from running into the back of the guy infront of me, he too, was constantly having to slam on the brakes because of knuckle heads that decided their 20 pound bike was really that intimidating to a full size car. I ride bikes too (both the ones those damn punk kids ride, and knobby shod), I get that it's fun to ride with a big pack, but that piece of pavement between the white and yellow lines is for cars/trucks, and unless there are no cars and trucks in that lane, or there is NO shoulder, you don't need to be there.

Its really bad when the traffic heading north bound needs to drive in the ditch because of the stupid people on the bikes heading south think they own the fawking road. My box truck took a beating on saturday because of them.There was one a guy that decided he owned the road at the roy Y and got creamed. He was laying on the side of the road with a yellow tarp over him.Not sure if he died but I bet he doesnt try to take on a car again either way!!!! I dread the second weekend of July every year.......:mad:

bikers don't follow the rules of the road

They've got every right to the road that you do (unless designated otherwise). I agree that some areas are just not that safe for bikers because of how wide the lanes are the drivers that can't figure out how to pass them instead of hanging on their tire for miles at a time. Big deal.

Riding on the Road - When riding on a roadway, a cyclist has all the rights and responsibilities of a vehicle driver (RCW 46.61.755). Cyclists who violate traffic laws may be ticketed (RCW 46.61.750).
Shoulder vs. Bike Lane - Cyclists may choose to ride on the path, bike lane, shoulder or travel lane as suits their safety needs (RCW 46.61.770).

"With more people riding bicycles, following the rules of the road is especially important. A bicycle is a legal road vehicle, just like a car. This means that bicycle riders have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers, even though bicycles are lighter than cars and generally slower."

Whatever.... this is about the STP, I'd like to hear how it went....
Drop the bashing or make a new thread with the bitch fest. :rolleyes:

They've got every right to the road that you do
And they have every responsibility to follow the same rules. They don't have the right to cut out in front of traffic, run stop signs and traffic lights, hold up traffic, etc, etc..

But since 9/10 of them won't follow the rules.... it's somehow OUR fault when they get run'd the fawk over?

:rolleyes:

I never said they didn't have the right.

Its really bad when the traffic heading north bound needs to drive in the ditch because of the stupid people on the bikes heading south think they own the fawking road. My box truck took a beating on saturday because of them.There was one a guy that decided he owned the road at the roy Y and got creamed. He was laying on the side of the road with a yellow tarp over him.Not sure if he died but I bet he doesnt try to take on a car again either way!!!! I dread the second weekend of July every year.......:mad:

Yellow Tarp = Dead. Too bad more didn't take it as a warning. Since when did bashing idiots who don't follow the rules of the road become treason around here? We all go after wheelers who do dumb things and represent the sport poorly, why shouldn't the bike community do the same? And the 16 year old thing, if you feel my age makes me less right, fine, but assuming I'm stupid based purely on that is just ignorant.

Last edited:
It's the same argument that's always existed between:

Cars vs. Motorcycles
Jet Skis vs Boats
Pepsi vs Coke
Planes vs Helicopters
Dog Lovers vs Cat Lovers
Mt Dew vs. Crash (ok bad example :redneck:)
Crispy noodles vs soft noodles
Boy cooties vs Girl cooties
Gay vs Straight
Good vs Evil
Batman vs Superman
etc.

You're right they're wrong, but in their minds they're right and you're wrong. Give it up and quit being so self righteous. :rolleyes:

Edit: and stop editing your damn posts or I'll have Crash come over there in some spandex and kick your ass. :flipoff: