• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone running 16.5" wheels on their tow rig?

kickdeez

Need new tires soon. Currently have 16" MT Classic II wheels, but I like the idea of a set of H1s on a square body suburban. Biggest problem is tire selection/availability. Any recommendations/suggestions for a tow rig worthy tire on a 16.5" wheel?

16.5's are becoming unicorns. I looked half the state of Texas and found 5 spares this time last year. 16's, 17's or similar. I wouldn't run a 16.5 on the road.

There are at least 3 suppliers in the south (Texas, Alabama, & Georgia) that I know of that deal in lots of 16.5 pull offs. I have ran them on the Lexus for 5 years and have a buddy that DDs a set as well. They are cheap for the size and tough. The newer GY Durawall MT/Rs and the BFG Bajas are much better than the older GY MTs

Re:

Whelp....There's two idiots out there @ least :)

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

TWF sells tire and wheel combos with military take offs. I had put some thought into those, but I have read mixed reviews on how well they wear on the road. A 37" tire would fit, but I was thinking I'd prefer a 35" tire. I ran across the Interco VorTrac Radial http://www.intercotire.com/tire/141. Anybody heard anything good/bad about them? Definitely open to see what else may be out there...

Re:

muddinmetal said:
Was the @ symbol that much faster than a 2 letter word? :stir:

I was illegally texting at a red light.....saved two seconds :flipoff1:

I am not saying you can't use 16.5's, it's just real hard to find a spare when ou really need one.

I run 16.5 on my CJ and have a trail set and a street set. Finding tires for my street set was very difficult this time around, and in sizes I could work with. After these, I'm going to 17's. I would avoid actually buying 16.5 wheels. If you have them already, ok, but that's like buying a candle lantern for your headlights. They are obsolete, and less and less support them.