• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone willing to tutor me me on setting up a Yota 8" gear set and locker?

dma251

Anyone willing to tutor me on setting up a Yota 8" gear set and locker?

I am looking for someone with EXPERIENCE setting up Toyota gears that would be willing to tutor me on the details. I am mechanically inclined, and can keep my mouth shut and my eyes open (that always seems to help around the shop!)

Setting up an 81 solid front axle for a SAS swap in my 1992 4Runner. I am using V6 3rds as I plan on swapping in a 1UZFE v8 later this year, and I got a good deal on them.

Here's what I have -

4 cyl TG 4.88 R&P set (the v6 gearsets were all several months backordered)
Yukon setup kit
Marlin Ecoseal pinion seal
Marlin multi-pattern flange
Aussie Locker

I'm not looking for someone to do this for free, I will pay well, but what I want is for someone that has done these before and knows the tricks, knows how to do it right, and can walk me through it so I can set the other 3rd up myself.

Anyone?

Last edited:
4cl gears are differnt then v6 gears

I think it can be done but you have to run a spacer on the ring gear or something like that.

I think it can be done but you have to run a spacer on the ring gear or something like that.

Um, yes they are different but the difference is in the pinion.

No special parts needed but know how is:;

Yep. some gear companies sell the exact same gears for both 4 an 6ers and just give a different setup kit according to how deep the pinion needs to be to setup properly.

Lots of different pinion bearing combos can get it right in a pinch also.

Lots of setup kits dont have enough shims for the pinion either.

Gear setup is not something 99 percent of folks are going to learn in one setup.

There is so much more to it than just "getting a good pattern".

Hell most folks cant even get the adjuster caps on without ****ing up the spanner threads.

4 gears in a 6 work fine with the right stack.

6 gears in a 4 is not gonna happen. never get it shallow enough even with NO shims.

No ring gear spacer is made/needed for any toy application that I know of.

I kind of figured the whole 4cyl - v6 pinion thing would help weed out the guy I am looking for.... :;

Anyone interested, drop me a PM. I am in Arlington, but I don't mind a long drive to get this done right with the right person...

Yep. some gear companies sell the exact same gears for both 4 an 6ers and just give a different setup kit according to how deep the pinion needs to be to setup properly.

Lots of different pinion bearing combos can get it right in a pinch also.

Lots of setup kits dont have enough shims for the pinion either.

Gear setup is not something 99 percent of folks are going to learn in one setup.

There is so much more to it than just "getting a good pattern".

Hell most folks cant even get the adjuster caps on without ****ing up the spanner threads.

4 gears in a 6 work fine with the right stack.

6 gears in a 4 is not gonna happen. never get it shallow enough even with NO shims.

No ring gear spacer is made/needed for any toy application that I know of.

News to me. Good luck! I just get the correct gears :redneck: I try not to set them up.

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?cPath=468&main_page=index
This is what I was thinking I saw for a toyota somewhere at some point. IDK:mad:

They do make a bearing for that:;

Been there done that. Without the proper inner pinion bearing you will not get it in, or even be able to rotate pinion since the carrier will hit the pinion.

Also learning to set up......many on here know how to do this:; I have stopped trying to show people as you will try to do the next R+P on your own and most likely miss something.

What Tom said, sorta......I could also show ya, but being tudored thru ONE diff is not gonna make it much easier when you do your first...Also, do you have the proper puller for the pinion bearing, should you need to change depth???

I appreciate the heads-up, but NOT having someone show me firsthand is definitely gonna make the first one I try to setup a recipe for failure. I have read half-a-dozen writeups and the FSM directions. I have watched a couple youtube vids, I have the tools and shop to do it in, but what I don't have is someone that has years of experience and knowledge doing them.

I figure everyone learned somewhere, and I also think there is a lot of "mystique" about this, and it's probably a lot less "art" then folks want to make it sound...

I'm just trying to not be the guy who whips out his wallet and pays for someone else to do his work for him. I have the ability, and the resources, just not the teacher. We all have to start somewhere...

I appreciate the heads-up, but NOT having someone show me firsthand is definitely gonna make the first one I try to setup a recipe for failure. I have read half-a-dozen writeups and the FSM directions. I have watched a couple youtube vids, I have the tools and shop to do it in, but what I don't have is someone that has years of experience and knowledge doing them.

I figure everyone learned somewhere, and I also think there is a lot of "mystique" about this, and it's probably a lot less "art" then folks want to make it sound...

I'm just trying to not be the guy who whips out his wallet and pays for someone else to do his work for him. I have the ability, and the resources, just not the teacher. We all have to start somewhere...

I do everything MYSELF. I dont trust anybodies work. I have TONS of tools because of this.

I do however pay the tranny man, cuz its something I dont care to learn, dont have time to learn, dont have the money to ruin trannies learning, dont want another room full of specialty tools, etc.

sure you want to learn something you might not ever do again?

No special parts needed but know how is:;[/QUOTE] X65...... this is definately 1 of the guys I would pay attention to only when he's talking tech.

special tooling is absolutely needed, oh and shitloads of time..unless of course you have a mill and a lathe to make the pinion setup-tool :awesomework::awesomework: lick bag tom tom!! (we need to talk.)

its actually not all that tuff, give it a shot solo, that way you won't have to blame anyone else if something does happen. just allocate plenty of time. besides the amount of people on this forum that know some **** is pretty cool:D

I would really try to learn the "art form" of setting up diffs.

Yes, you WILL make mistakes. The only problem is, you learn from your mistakes and you will PAY for it.

The first diff I set up, I forgot a few things and it cost me $1200 in gears, bearings, carrier (detroit) and shims.

Don't let this spook you, everyone learned somewhere. Keep everything SURGICALLY clean, follow instructions, and you can learn to do your own diffs.

Take notes and or pictures of how it came apart and reassemble the same way. Ensure you have bearings and carrier supports placed the exact same way back together.

It is tedious repetitive work, but it can be done.

Learning from your mistakes is half the battle.:awesomework:

like say maybe even 6 times or more?

One pinion bearing slip will cast ya $30 each.

In the 'art' of setting up diffs, one with experience can 'read' the initial pattern, and usually make one pinion adjustment and have everything else fall in place...:;

In the 'art' of setting up diffs, one with experience can 'read' the initial pattern, and usually make one pinion adjustment and have everything else fall in place...:;

I dont even run a pattern on toys till the thread count is very close.:;

No matter how good you are the only time a setup goes good the first time is when the customer is standing there and wants to know, "whats the big deal, that wasnt tough?".

Then the next one thats dropped off with a "no hurry" tag it will need to be in and out 6 times only if nobody is around to watch. :haha::beer:

No matter how good you are the only time a setup goes good the first time is when the customer is standing there and wants to know, "whats the big deal, that wasnt tough?".

Then the next one thats dropped off with a "no hurry" tag it will need to be in and out 6 times only if nobody is around to watch. :haha::beer:

Yup, pretty much!!!:haha::haha::redneck:

I did my last one myself. I used information from here http://gearinstalls.com/ to do the job. Built a couple tools myself, bought a press and bought the remaining tools. Cost me nearly 300 bucks for the tools and press and took 4 hours to get it right. So far my v6 diff has survived almost 7000 miles including a 4000 mile trip at the end of summer. I just wanted to learn how to do it myself.

Keep trying to find someone to show you. Make sure you do all the work but have it checked. It's a good skill to have. Toy, 9 inch and 14 bolt are the "easy" ones to start learning on. Give yourself lots of time and be prepared to put it together, take it apart and repeat.

So very true!:mad: