• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARCS & AOP 2014 Rules

TURNEROFFROAD

We have taken the opportunity to work with the Adventure Offroad Park & Nature Center owner to simplify your competition experience by using the same safety rules in each series. These rules apply to all 4 of the ARC Series races.

The safety rules for American Rock Crawling Series races are posted below. We have taken a fairly simple and common sense approach to addressing safety in our series. If you are planning to run this series and have any questions please do not hesitate to message us here or at [email protected].

1.All drivers and passengers are required to wear a DOT approved full face helmet, a neck brace, and eye protection during all competition.

2.All occupants of vehicle must be secured with a 5 point harness system. All driver/passenger restraint systems must be mounted per manufacturer€™s directions and recommendations. Bolt-in and wrap-around mounting styles are allowed, except that lap belts may not be mounted by wrap-around method. All lap belts must be securely bolted into the frame of the vehicle. Occupant restraint system must be in good condition with no frays, cuts, or excessive dirt and must be in flexible condition.

3.All vehicles must be equipped with a master kill switch. This master kill switch must be located in the dashboard area of the vehicle and be clearly labeled. The master kill switch must be highly visible, and easily distinguished from all other switches in the vehicle. The master kill switch must be accessible by all occupants of the vehicle in their normal strapped in position.

4.All vehicles must be equipped with at least 2 portable UL approved 2.5 lb. or larger ABC class dry chemical or equivalent fire extinguisher. Each fire extinguisher must be fully charged. One fire extinguisher must be accessible to all occupants inside vehicle. One fire extinguisher must be mounted in a position that is easily located and accessible from the exterior of the vehicle. Integrated on board fire suppression systems are highly recommended. However, vehicles equipped with on-board engine fire suppression systems are still required to meet the requirement of two 2.5 lb. or greater portable fire extinguishers.

5.It is recommended that all vehicles be equipped with a winch recovery system rated to the vehicles weight. This will be mandatory in 2015.
All vehicles must have a functioning 4x4 and have at least a tire size 38€ or greater. No bolted tires or chains are allowed.

6.All vehicles must have a roll cage tied directly into the frame structure of vehicle. This roll cage must be free of excessive damage that would prohibit the roll cage protecting the occupants of the vehicle.

7.Safety nets are highly recommended and should cover all openings of vehicles. Vehicles not equipped with safety nets must have properly installed limb restraints. All limb restraints must function to the extent that it is impossible for any limb or any body part of any occupant to protrude from the vehicle while any occupant is strapped into their normal driving/riding position.

8.All vehicle fuel tank systems must be equipped with a roll over check valve incorporated at the fuel tank. Fuel vent line must extend to the highest point of the roll cage nearest the fuel cell, across the width of the vehicle, and down to the belly of vehicle or below the fuel cell, whichever is lower. Fuel vent lines must vent outside the occupants compartment and away from any engine exhaust system.

9.All vehicles entering competition must pass a primary technical inspection prior to competition. Technical inspections will begin the day prior to competition and end 1 hour prior to the drivers meeting during all competitions. In addition a secondary technical inspection is required at the starting line of any competition to ensure all occupants are secured properly in their vehicle and correct safety gear is in place.

10.It is your responsibility as a competitor to compete in a vehicle that is safe. The series director or technical inspectors reserve the right to refuse entry to any competitor, participant, or any other person, to any competition event, for any reason. Any competitors€™ refusal to follow the explicit directions of the technical inspector or competition director can result in the disqualification and suspension of competitor either temporarily or permanently.

Thank you for your support!!!
Ty Turner - ARC

TURNEROFFROAD said:

5.All vehicles must be equipped with a winch recovery system rated to the vehicles weight. All vehicles must have a functioning 4x4 and have at least a tire size 38" or greater. No bolted tires or chains are allowed.

So all buggies have to have a Winch?

Cole said:

Hmmm Very interesting, Not sure i agree, but at the same time i can see where it would be a big plus!!! As someone who has worked recovery on a lot of the races and bounty hills, it takes a lot longer to recover a rig when they have no winch, or the winch is not working.

Requireing working winches would help the load on recovery. But at the same time event cordinators should take the steps needed to set up recovery.

Cole said:

Yes, there are very few that aren't already equipped with at least a comp winch ( which is fine ). This idea was kicked around and ultimately decided it could at some point speed the recovery process and hence not make a comp drag on waiting to get a second or third winch on a stranded buggy. Hopefully most will see this as a positive thing ( as was intended ).

Heath, that's what we were looking at as well...

TURNEROFFROAD said:
Yes, there are very few that aren't already equipped with at least a comp winch ( which is fine ). This idea was kicked around and ultimately decided it could at some point speed the recovery process and hence not make a comp drag on waiting to get a second or third winch on a stranded buggy. Hopefully most will see this as a positive thing ( as was intended ).

Heath, that's what we were looking at as well...

good luck you just eliminated some of the top drivers

Cole said:
good luck you just eliminated some of the top drivers

I think the safety regulations and winch requirement is great - nothing worse than waiting 30 minutes or more for them to drag a broken buggy off the course

I think most of the drivers can afford a winch and could see the rationale behind it ???

onetoncrawler said:
I think the safety regulations and winch requirement is great - nothing worse than waiting 30 minutes or more for them to drag a broken buggy off the course

I think most of the drivers can afford a winch and could see the rationale behind it ???

Add another 100 pounds to the farthest point up front on a buggy and that changes the suspension up pretty good. Not sure if I agree with this rule just yet as I do not have one and will have to add a bunch of tubing to get one mounted up. :dunno:

I think the winch rule is great. Cant tell you how annoying it is when someone has bad luck and they dont have a winch and the race staff wasnt prepared with a recovery winch/vehicle. I know things do take a while in a recovery but having a better plan sure isnt a bad idea.

My question is #7.
Im all for safety but how many rock bouncers have you seen with window nets?

EDIT:
I read it wrong. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
n/m the #7

Joc said:
My question is #7.
Im all for safety but how many rock bouncers have you seen with window nets?

nets are recommended not required

CHASMAN9 said:
Add another 100 pounds to the farthest point up front on a buggy and that changes the suspension up pretty good. Not sure if I agree with this rule just yet as I do not have one and will have to add a bunch of tubing to get one mounted up. :dunno:

Cole said:
nets are recommended not required

But, it appears that if you don't, then you will be required to have wrist restraints.

7.Safety nets are highly recommended and should cover all openings of vehicles. Vehicles not equipped with safety nets must have properly installed limb restraints. All limb restraints must function to the extent that it is impossible for any limb or any body part of any occupant to protrude from the vehicle while any occupant is strapped into their normal driving/riding position.

If it wasnt a matter of no where to put a winch, would 100lbs on the nose not work to the drivers advantage?

Dont take this as bashing, just some discussion as I am nothing more than a spectator. I respect anyone that is willing to put their money/buggy/life on the line to put on a show. I've always wondered why some buggies dont have winches. Is it just that fact that its main purpose is point and shoot?

JohnG said:
But, it appears that if you don't, then you will be required to have wrist restraints.

yes I saw that but the person i responded to was talking about nets

JohnG said:

I will have to find me some wrist restraints. Can you imagine with all of the openings my buggy has how many nets I gotta have. LOL

Joc said:
If it wasnt a matter of no where to put a winch, would 100lbs on the nose not work to the drivers advantage?

Dont take this as bashing, just some discussion as I am nothing more than a spectator. I respect anyone that is willing to put their money/buggy/life on the line to put on a show. I've always wondered why some buggies dont have winches. Is it just that fact that its main purpose is point and shoot?

No bashing taken as I learn more about my buggy each and every time I take it out. I'm finding that with a lighter front end you can almost skip across the tops of the rocks to clear them rather than trying drive through them. Sometimes it works and sometimes you climb a tree. ( note to self- quit climbing trees) some buggies just don't have the space to add more tubing and a winch. Every buggy is different
I am in no way fighting these rules as they are for the drivers protection, only to identify how each driver can adjust to each rule. Other than that, I think the rest of the rules are in order. Play on. :dblthumb:

Latest posts