• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Atf vs hyd. Oil

mudder1912

Just wondering if anyone has ever had to use hyd. oil in a automatic tranny? we blew a tranny line this week end and ended up using hyd. oil the only thing we could find close. Tranny seemed to work fine just wondering if it is junk now. Changed fluid as soon as i got home

I have had a couple steering boxes that did NOT like hydro fluid. They would work fine, but if parked for a month or so, the rig would start up and run fine but the steering wheel would be locked untill a good pull "unstuck" it. Then it would turn freely and nice untill it parked for awhile again.

Its done this in two rigs on me. Stopped using it after the second one did the same thing.

I have had a couple steering boxes that did NOT like hydro fluid. They would work fine, but if parked for a month or so, the rig would start up and run fine but the steering wheel would be locked untill a good pull "unstuck" it. Then it would turn freely and nice untill it parked for awhile again.

Its done this in two rigs on me. Stopped using it after the second one did the same thing.

He is talking about using it in an auto tranny:eeek:

Maybe, flush it, change the filter, an run it? Thats what i would try:awesomework:

I would just flush it out and fill back up with ATF. Run it for a bit and then flush it out again to make sure you get all the hyd. oil out.

From my understanding ATF is a good detergent oil so maybe it will clean out any left over hyd. oil?? Just hopefully the two dont react against eachother:corn:

Just wondering if anyone has ever had to use hyd. oil in a automatic tranny? we blew a tranny line this week end and ended up using hyd. oil the only thing we could find close. Tranny seemed to work fine just wondering if it is junk now. Changed fluid as soon as i got home

You should be fine:awesomework: You just mixed a little cocktail.

Allison big rig auto trannies specify 'any petroleum based fluid'. We used veggie oil to test em after a rebuild.