• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Atlas shifting

Brian H

So this was something ive been thinking about for awhile..... Larry keeps breaking shift cables on his atlas.....the way his chassis is designed he cant run shifters also because its a rear engine set up. So i have been thinking of ways to do it . I was thinking two air cylinders one for each rail but what i cant figure out is how to make it a three postion shift per cylinder. Im not an electrical guys so Im not sure what would make that happen. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm confused.
I've got cable shifting on my Atlas 4spd, and the cable shouldn't care if the Atlas is backwards, forwards, upside-down, or inside-out. It should still work fine. So why is his cable breaking?

my atlas shifts like a whore sometimes but ive never even come close to breaking a cable. Does the sheeth have a nick in it that is causing it to rub and break? does it break in the same spot?

my atlas shifts like a whore sometimes

Big, straight cut gears, with no syncros. Yup.

I'm really wondering if he's just power shifting instead of allowing the gears to mesh. I just kick the trans into "N", and let the rig slowly rock to align everything, and then the Atlas shifts like butter. For some reason, it's always easier for me to kick from H to L, by going to N on both shifters, and then engage the Front before the Rear in the L position. But when I go to L to H, I always engage the R first.

They're stupid tight when they're new, but once they break in, they shift like butter. My cables make a 180 degree turn and still work great.

For some reason, it's always easier for me to kick from H to L, by going to N on both shifters, and then engage the Front before the Rear in the L position. But when I go to L to H, I always engage the R first.

yep. mine does the same thing. But every once in a while i struggle to get it into L from neutral. It will go back into H no problem, but neither F or R will go into L without some messing with it.

They break right at the transfer case. We replaced it with a new one and it broke right away. It has two brand new ones it it right now that were replaced at reno stampede but It will happen again. Its to tight for me to get into the chassis to really see how he has it laid out with my bad back so it is possible to be a bindage problem . I was just trying to think of an air cylinder set up that would work. Really up to him as Im not gonna build it or install it. Thats up to his groupies .

The cable that broke in Reno was Larry's installer error. Larry said the way Andrew has it set up now works better than ever. Part of the problem has been that he expects it to work as easy as the shifter in his Dodge and that will never be the case.

Those push pull cables will break if the throw is not adjusted correctly, if the cable can go further then the lever the "cable" will bend then break. You could go to fisheries supply and have them make you heavier cables, just an idea.