• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Atlas support ring vs adapter mount?

wayne86

I am seeing a lot of guys using the support ring around the rear output on the Atlas. On my 1.25" adapter between the trans and tcase there is a built in block to bolt to a crossmember. I have a rubber block that was on my dana300 adapter that I took and bolted onto the adapter. I was just going to weld that to a crossmember between the frame rails. My question is, should I still do a support ring too, or is the crossmember under the adapter enough? It seems the support ring welded to a crossmember like from WOD would work well with poly bushings bolting the crossmember between the frame rails.

I haven`t been long added the adapter to my jeep as well. I also bought the ring for the back of Atlas but, I been in air about putting it on. That support adapter between the Trans and T case seems pretty damn stout to me. Seems like something bad would have to happen for it to let go.

I came out with the original Atlas support ring back in 2002 after I cracked 2 tranny cases. I always ran the tranny mount between the cases but after cracking cases I decided to support the rear of the t-case. At the next rock crawling comp several other guys had the same issue so I made them rings then decided to start selling them. To me it is cheap insurance. Use the same mounting technique you have on your motor mounts and tranny mount to mount the ASR and you won't have an issue.

tubehead said:
I came out with the original Atlas support ring back in 2002 after I cracked 2 tranny cases. I always ran the tranny mount between the cases but after cracking cases I decided to support the rear of the t-case. At the next rock crawling comp several other guys had the same issue so I made them rings then decided to start selling them. To me it is cheap insurance. Use the same mounting technique you have on your motor mounts and tranny mount to mount the ASR and you won't have an issue.

PM sent

tubehead said:

I remember your support ring, it was priced right too.

On a recent build I went round and round overthinking the Atlas mounting and was going to do the support ring, but ended up building a very beefy mount that uses the trans mounting surface and the tcase mounting surface, tied together by a common mount, that way one does not move independent of the other. There are many different ways, but the bottom line is you want them to remain in unison. and make sure the cross member tubes you mount to aren't the same tubes that get hammered on rocks at the very bottom of the rig, that seems to be a big culprit of broken housings.

DirtMonkey said:
I remember your support ring, it was priced right too.

On a recent build I went round and round overthinking the Atlas mounting and was going to do the support ring, but ended up building a very beefy mount that uses the trans mounting surface and the tcase mounting surface, tied together by a common mount, that way one does not move independent of the other. There are many different ways, but the bottom line is you want them to remain in unison. and make sure the cross member tubes you mount to aren't the same tubes that get hammered on rocks at the very bottom of the rig, that seems to be a big culprit of broken housings.

Good point. I will have to get on here and post a pic this evening. I have a 2x3 rectangle tube frame and was going to build a 4" drop below the main rail to cradle the drivetrain. The tcase adapter mount will be above the belly for the reason of it not taking abuse. I will try to post a pic later to explain what I'm saying.

My support ring broke the bolts and the top part came off. The bottom shifted back and was hittin the backside of the bolts on flange. It was fawkin terrible. The noise and the jerk it made every rotation. I didn't think to look that far up in there. I have no idea how something didint break on way to truck. But man that skimp 5/16 bolt or ehatever it is blows balls. Maybe they loosened up. But still they shouldn't snap off like they did.