• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

auto and diff gearing

BUILTnotBOT

parts coming togethor for the next rig. jeep 6cyl stroker, tf999 and stock d300 chev60 and e350 rear.

for the crowd that have seen the higher geared 6.17 diffs with this similar setup (example... s&n 4.3/t350/stock d300)

will that be enough gearing for crawling leaving the d300 stock?
are you still able to get a good amount of trail speed with the 6.17s?
how about longevity of beating on a 6.17 gearset?
OR dont even bother with geared axles and build the 300... if stak was still punchin replacement cases i would be favorable of this route.

with the rig im running now the stock 300 has been pretty good considering the diffs are 4.10 although the np435 in front of it helps the situation allot. This new heep is different with the automatic in the mix and kind of at a stand still on where to divert funds when the time comes.

:beer:

i think the gear sets in the 6's are pretty pricey compared to like a 513 or 538's

If i remember correctly there was a brand new replace a case from stak on pirate just a few days ago

i think the gear sets in the 6's are pretty pricey compared to like a 513 or 538's

If i remember correctly there was a brand new replace a case from stak on pirate just a few days ago

Grab that thing up--they are rare now,lol..

Yes I saw that n just about went for it. Allot dudes lined up n guy won't ship

Hmmm I'd prefer a doubler option over gearing the 300 just for case strength concerns. Nwf eco box has been a consideration too. Main thought being making that 300 survive

Thanks for the input guys.

I ran 7:17s /4.3 /turbo 350 and a bone stock 300 for many years with no issues. 6:17s can live long time as long as you don't have a ton of power and dont Maulerize them.:fawkdancesmiley: It's one or the other, but not both. If you go stock 300 at least put a upgraded output in the 300, I never broke a stock output but its piece of mind. Carl Jantz ran 7.17s also for many years and his rig is heavy.

on the flip side I run a 4.0l with a 32rh three speed automatic to a 3.8 to 1 atlas and 4.10 gears rolling on 37's. My gearing is great both on and offroad.

The 60 (73' F-350) I had had 6.17 gears. I didn't like the fact that it only had 6 pinion teeth. I had the r&p heat treated (softened). Never had trouble though.

Another thing you may want to consider when looking at the low gears for a 60 is the "Pro" gears for drag cars. They are softer and absorb the shock load way better.

You can usually find the real low gear sets used at the Corvette & High Performance swap meet also.