• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

AVOID NAPA ON 96th & PACIFIC

hmmm, so you should know everything the shop knows before you trust them to do the work? I'm pretty sure that everyone who brings their vehicle into a shop, wants the thing fixed, and for a given/agreed on, price. They could care less how it's done.

Not at all what I'm saying.

For example. If you come to my dealership, and ask how much a timing belt costs. The answer is $30 or $40.
But if you ask how much would it be to have the timing belt INSTALLED, well that's a totally different question, and it's several hundred dollars.
And if you ask how much it would be for a 60 or 90K service, that's even more money.

Which is why I used the word naivety. If the nephew asked how much one, specific item of work costs, they *might* have accurately answered that question. And I'm not saying they did, or didn't. I'm just saying that the young man, might have thought he was asking all the right questions, and the person at the NAPA was answering to the best of his ability.

I'm in the Sales side of the automotive business, and one of the things that has always been obvious, is that communications has never been about what I say, it's always been about what the customer HEARS. Which means, communication is not intent, but perception.

And IF Napa said one thing, it doesn't mean that the nephew heard the same thing.

Of course, Napa could just be a bunch of crooks and thugs.

It's just been my experience with machine shops that I cannot have anything done for less than a bill. Most often several bills.

Tony

Sounds like one of life's lessons for the nephew and not really a reason to slam a NAPA machine shop that others haven't had a problem with.

Sounds like one of life's lessons for the nephew and not really a reason to slam a NAPA machine shop that others haven't had a problem with.

Definatley a valuble lesson but napa still should have have told him about the extra charges. Being a kid myself I have personally found that there are quite a few parts stores that will try to take advantage of you if you dont look like you know what your talking about.

Well to help back up the kid. I will say I have sent off heads to machine and checked to the same Napa store and the bill has always been more than what I was quoted over the phone. Now lesson learned I just assume every head I send over there is going to cost me about a $100 and I calculate that into the repair bill. On Labor items like that, that I sublet out, I don't mark it up. The customer get charged what I get charged. Now on parts it's a different story, but you (average Joe) can't get the parts at the cost I can get them at because of the tier level I'm at with Napa, Same with any parts store.

The customer get charged what I get charged. Now on parts it's a different story, but you (average Joe) can't get the parts at the cost I can get them at because of the tier level I'm at with Napa, Same with any parts store.

Is that why the Midas store you were at in Auburn went out of business? :flipoff: All sublet work, tows, etc. has a small mark up on it.

J

Is that why the Midas store you were at in Auburn went out of business? :flipoff: All sublet work, tows, etc. has a small mark up on it.

J

No actually I was there for a week filling in for Mr. Anthony.. EXtreme offroad fab guy. And during that week. I did 12k, compared to the usual 2-4k weekly average. That's why I was moved the a store with more traffic so I could increase my sales. We used to be paid salary plus commission. Well I was guaranteed a certain salary and at the Auburn store even making 12k a week I was falling short of my salary goals.

That store went out of bussiness because the previous owner was booted from Midas and lost his franchise for being a plain out shitty owner. Not paying rent, not paying taxes, not paying vendors, and barely paying us. My first paycheck with him bounced...

that napa sucks balls ... i use buds machine shop in ponders... best place period...period...
sorry for ur nephew ... i got jacked around on a lifetime 7.3 powerstroke starter .. no reciet no warranty .. that sucked esp since it was 3 weeks old ... the guy just said sorry company pollicy AND HES THE ONE WHO I BOUGHT IT FROM ... YEP SHITTY COMPANY AND ILL NEVER USE THEM...

Like I said I talked to the head machinist and he was sorry, but he blamed the front counter people. He said that they should have outlined to my nephew that he would get charged for disassembling the head, but, they didn't. And that is the problem, not the actual charge, that they did alot of extra work without him being informed that he was going to get charged.

My nephew took the head in with the cams and distributor still on it even, heck yes they should charge for the disassembly! He didn't know any better. But, had they told him he would get a extra charge, I'm very sure he would have taken thee thing apart in the parking lot to avoid paying anymore money. He spent nearly two hours with brake clean and a wire brush making the thing spotless to avoid a small hot tank fee!!!

Sounds like miscommunication to me, and a good life-lesson learned. It does NOT sounds like a reason to go online and bash a machine shop if they did a good job and even you agree that the only error was poor communication.

that napa sucks balls ... i use buds machine shop in ponders... best place period...period...
sorry for ur nephew ... i got jacked around on a lifetime 7.3 powerstroke starter .. no reciet no warranty .. that sucked esp since it was 3 weeks old ... the guy just said sorry company pollicy AND HES THE ONE WHO I BOUGHT IT FROM ... YEP SHITTY COMPANY AND ILL NEVER USE THEM...

Why wouldnt you keep ur reciet. Most places have a sign that says No reciet No warrenty. sounds like ur fault to me.

They charge double to magna flux an aluminum head. :haha::haha:
thats funny! when I rebuilt my motor, the machinist said they dont magna flux aluminum engine parts anymore, old technoligy, they use a powder dye now that is way better a detecting cracks, plus its cheaper than magna flux.

Sounds like miscommunication to me, and a good life-lesson learned. It does NOT sounds like a reason to go online and bash a machine shop if they did a good job and even you agree that the only error was poor communication.

IMO, a good life lesson would have been "ok kid we should have told you when you dropped it off, but you should have disassembled this thing prior to bringing it to us. How bout we split the difference and call it $50 plus tax?" That would be a fair "life lesson" not "f you kid we did nothing wrong pay up" And for reference when I talked to the machinist and asked if they would refund he said he couldn't to anything after the fact.... at which point I told him I would be giving a poor review of them to all of my friends on the net.

If it makes you feel any better, Auburn Car Repair is kick ass from what I hear and the machine shop they recommend (Auburn Auto Machine) is also.

IMO, a good life lesson would have been "ok kid we should have told you when you dropped it off, but you should have disassembled this thing prior to bringing it to us. How bout we split the difference and call it $50 plus tax?" That would be a fair "life lesson" not "f you kid we did nothing wrong pay up" And for reference when I talked to the machinist and asked if they would refund he said he couldn't to anything after the fact.... at which point I told him I would be giving a poor review of them to all of my friends on the net.

If it makes you feel any better, Auburn Car Repair is kick ass from what I hear and the machine shop they recommend (Auburn Auto Machine) is also.

I agree, comprimise! help a young kid out, teach him a lesson for life, and probable get his bussines again.

I own my own biz, and have helped a few people along the way, and doing so the favor was returned to me 10x the few dollars I lost. so in the long run I made more money! Win,Win situation for everybody.

thats funny! when I rebuilt my motor, the machinist said they dont magna flux aluminum engine parts anymore, old technoligy, they use a powder dye now that is way better a detecting cracks, plus its cheaper than magna flux.

You can't because the powder wont stick to an aluminum head? Magna = magnet , flux = very small metal shavings. Charge the head with a magnetic charge then sprinkyl the powder over the combustion chamber to reveile any cracks.

Jaydog and ChopShop are just being smart asses.

You can't because the powder wont stick to an aluminum head? Magna = magnet , flux = very small metal shavings. Charge the head with a magnetic charge then sprinkyl the powder over the combustion chamber to reveile any cracks.

Jaydog and ChopShop are just being smart asses.

quoted for excellence in spelling. :haha:
Fail.

I never had a problem

Ive had them do over 20 machine blocks on 22r's for me never had a problem but yet the customer pays for the machine work and parts etc they don't bitch about the priceing either I always use the back dr also .If u act like an Idiot they will do what they can to not deal with ya again because who likes dealing with a dumb fuwk less stress for them and always pay ahead of time what your queted,

Example
shave the head too much then your timing chain is sloppy u end up busting your guides then its all in the bottom of motor pieces clog the oil pick up tube which means it starves the oil delivery volume through your block there goes your motor because you wanted to do it the cheap way not the rightway...worried about $80 bucks the guys at the front desk are not machinist they just collect the money..

Its not there fault check yourself before you break yourself.everybody wants something for free or want you to hold your hand. They can smell **** a mile away have a recipt or :fawkdancesmiley:

just my .02

ive known dave the machinist at that napa...for more than 20 years...hes a stand up guy..cant say much for the counter people though...