• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Axle gearing vs. tcase gearing

lucasbranham

I was reading in a thread once on here and I can't find it again. Someone made a comment that the same final ratio, if done through the axles instead of the t case, that it will always feel more powerful that way. Just curious if anyone else has felt this. Also, what the theory is behind it? I assume it's because there is less driveline drag after the reduction? All my gearing is in the t case now, and I'm considering gearing the axles.

been told that 4.56 gearing or near about are the strongest ratios, and that one would want to stay close to it, was told any lower gearing makes the pinon os small that its more likely to break, just my 2 cents

Not really asking about strength of gears. My buggy only has a 4.3 v6 in it and 44" tires. The comment that I was referring to said that it was his personal experience that gearing the axle low made the vehicle feel more peppy than gearing the t case low to achieve the same final gear reduction number. Kinda confusing and may not be true at all. Now that I think more about it, the only big difference I see is that you would have more usable gears because of high range being lower. Hmmmm....

lucasbranham said:
Not really asking about strength of gears. My buggy only has a 4.3 v6 in it and 44" tires. The comment that I was referring to said that it was his personal experience that gearing the axle low made the vehicle feel more peppy than gearing the t case low to achieve the same final gear reduction number. Kinda confusing and may not be true at all. Now that I think more about it, the only big difference I see is that you would have more usable gears because of high range being lower. Hmmmm....
dude v6 and 44sid go low low, mines a 4 cylinder and i got 40s, running 5.38s seems tobe a good combination

I've broke 9" gears with 100 horses 5:38's and 38.5's. I have a stick shift and can run high range on the road tho

I could see where lower axle gears could make a vehicle feel more powerful than the same ratio accomplished with tcase gearing.

The low axle gears will not transfer as much rotational force through the chassis. Giving a more direct feel of the power.

A Vechicle with lower axle gears will have less torque twist in the suspension.

My old truggy had springs that were too soft in the back and 4.10 axle gears, and it would pick up the driver side tire on hill climbs sometimes, when I put 5.71 gears in it, it didn't twist the suspension up like that anymore and would climb better.

Thanks for the info. Hoping to gain a usable high range and defeat the t case to not be so low with the new axle gears.

If it is a pure trail rider then i would want my gearing in the t-case and have stronger gears in the diffs......if your going to race then you want the opposite, it def gives a feel of getting the power to the ground faster to have your low gears in the axle

Latest posts