• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Axle options for a dd/weekend wheeler

96cherokeexj

My brother just bought a 95 Cherokee xj. Stock 2wd jeep paid $500 for it. He is looking to convert it to 4wd and upgrade the axles as well. Looking for something strong that can handle a 35-37" tire. It'll be mostly a daily driver for now until he can get another vehicle. Need opinions on axles though 44/9, 44/44, 60/60 ,60/14 etc. What's good for a daily driver that will see some pretty rough wheeling on the weekends

Re: Re: Re: Axle options for a dd/weekend wheeler

99BLUEXJ said:
Do it right the first time. 60/14.
that's what I was telling him. Ain't no sense in building the other axles when eventually it'll be only a trail rig

Re: Re: Axle options for a dd/weekend wheeler

Tell him to scrap it and start with a nicer vehicle/cherokee. Theres nothing nice or reliable about a daily driver $500 cherokee.

Either start with a 4wd unmolested nicer cherokee...or buy one already mildly built.

A front D44 and 8.8 combo is a solid and fairly cheap combo that pretty much is a standard around here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Axle options for a dd/weekend wheeler

tonybolton said:
A front D44 and 8.8 combo is a solid and fairly cheap combo that pretty much is a standard around here.
the Dana 44 and 8.8 is what i had under one of mine and it done great for what it was. It was on 35s open/open. The jeep he bought is from a family member and its been a very reliable jeep they've kept the oil and what not changed properly. They just sold it cause they r trying to fix their truck.

Gotcha....I jus get tired of....mainly Cherokee people buying some craigslist shitbox and bragging how cheap they got it then spending 2grand to make it driveable.

And yes...I run a cherokee on 37's with a wagoneer d44 and 8.8 locked

tonybolton said:
Gotcha....I jus get tired of....mainly Cherokee people buying some craigslist shitbox and bragging how cheap they got it then spending 2grand to make it driveable.

And yes...I run a cherokee on 37's with a wagoneer d44 and 8.8 locked
I understand that for sure man. Its driveable minus a tire that has a hole in it... any upgrades to the axles on the 44/8.8 u run?

8.8 is stock....broke one axle in 3 years. Front is chromod out with yukon superjoints

Broke one axle...but was due to tirod breaking and oversteering the axle.

tonybolton said:
8.8 is stock....broke one axle in 3 years. Front is chromod out with yukon superjoints

Broke one axle...but was due to tirod breaking and oversteering the axle.
ah ok the way me an him wheel is we'd rather crawl then hammer down and know when to just pull cable... how much do I have into the 44 including purchasing it if u don't mind me asking

Axle...100 from junkyard
Tnt truss/bracket kit 400
4.88 gears 200
Spartan locker 250
Ukon axles 400
Superjoints 250
Diff cover 80
Drive flanges 150

So jus under 2 it looks like.

I know I know....coulda had a rockwell or a D60 for half that!!! OMG wasted all my money!! ;D

This has all been done over 3 years....upgrading as things broke.

tonybolton said:
Axle...100 from junkyard
4.88 gears 200
Spartan locker 250
Ukon axles 400
Superjoints 250
Diff cover 80
Drive flanges 150

I know I know....coulda had a rockwell or a D60 for half that!!! OMG wasted all my money!! ;D

understandable lol. Gotta upgrade as u go man that's how this will be collect parts until he has em all then swap it out

Hell...buy this dudes setup!!

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=27669.0

tonybolton said:
Hell...buy this dudes setup!!

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=27669.0
I will pass this onto him

tonybolton said:
Axle...100 from junkyard
4.88 gears 200
Spartan locker 250
Ukon axles 400
Superjoints 250
Diff cover 80
Drive flanges 150

Hey man that's how it goes. I've had all different sizes but sometimes that 60 isn't a need. Especially if your only going to run a 37" or smaller

Re: Re: Re: Axle options for a dd/weekend wheeler

Crawl Works said:
Hey man that's how it goes. I've had all different sizes but sometimes that 60 isn't a need. Especially if your only going to run a 37" or smaller
he said he wants to run a 37-38

Its sounding mpre like he's a poser wanna be "hey look at me I got big tarz on my truck".

Locked axles and 35s on Cherokee will do damn near anything in the southeast.

Leave the bigger tires to the hill killers with the motor to turnem.

The creek bed at Aetna mountain is one of the main ones we both have wanted to try