• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

balancing my tires with airsoft bb's?

How exactly does this work? Many people say it works for them but in my minds eye it seems like snake oil....

It's just a dynamic balance, if there is a heavy spot in the tire the bb's shake to the opposite side. Check out dynabeads or equal tire sand for a far more technical explanation that I'm willing to type out. :redneck:

Ed I run steel .177 bb's. 1 shot glass full 35 and under, 2 shots 36 and over I haven't wasted my time with the 44's yet and i really doubt I will. :haha:

It's just a dynamic balance, if there is a heavy spot in the tire the bb's shake to the opposite side. Check out dynabeads or equal tire sand for a far more technical explanation that I'm willing to type out. :redneck:

I did a quick search and didn't find a explaination....The way I see it is a out of ballance tire has a side or spot that is heavier than the rest. Centrifical force will make the heavy spot bulge more towards the outside diameter than the rest of the tire. The same centrifical force would make whatever is inside the tire move towards the part of the tire that is furthest to the outside..This would make it worse not better.....I must be missing something here because many people say it works. I just don't understand how???

i dunno. it works though :haha: it doesnt balance this rim (obviously) i dunno man. bumpy ride at 30mph before, smooth as glass up to 80mph after airsoft in there.

I did a quick search and didn't find a explaination....The way I see it is a out of ballance tire has a side or spot that is heavier than the rest. Centrifical force will make the heavy spot bulge more towards the outside diameter than the rest of the tire. The same centrifical force would make whatever is inside the tire move towards the part of the tire that is furthest to the outside..This would make it worse not better.....I must be missing something here because many people say it works. I just don't understand how???

If you put bb's in a tire and spin in on a typical balancer it will NOT balance at all. If you put that same tire on a hunter gsp 9700 balancer with a road force simulator wheel and that road force causes the bb's to do what they need to do. Don't get so wrapped up in the logistics just accept that it works ok? :haha:

After I did a search here I did a google search. This popped up on my first try. This place also has a tire balancing chart.

My tires are 33x12.5 and it says to use 8oz per tire.

It is expensive to get tires balanced and I seem to loose wheel weights after a few weeks.

I think im just going to go for it.

After I did a search here I did a google search. This popped up on my first try. This place also has a tire balancing chart.

My tires are 33x12.5 and it says to use 8oz per tire.

It is expensive to get tires balanced and I seem to loose wheel weights after a few weeks.

I think im just going to go for it.

wal-mart has the bulk 10000 packs for 14 bucks, its enough to do a set of tires that use 8oz. :awesomework:

I did a quick search and didn't find a explaination....The way I see it is a out of ballance tire has a side or spot that is heavier than the rest. Centrifical force will make the heavy spot bulge more towards the outside diameter than the rest of the tire.
Correct to that point.

The same centrifical force would make whatever is inside the tire move towards the part of the tire that is furthest to the outside..This would make it worse not better.....I must be missing something here because many people say it works. I just don't understand how???

The tire moves toward the heavy spot, but inertia makes the loose BB's try to move as little as possible, so they move to the light spot in the rotating assembly. Somewhere on Innovative's site they had it explained better than that. Of course, they also explain why not to use golf balls...

Ahhh, a little searching around.
The How: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks2.html

Golf Balls: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/GolfBalls.pdf

Lead Shot :awesomework: works wonders

Lead shot also gets pulverized into smaller bits that will clog the valve stem when you air down. I had the same issue when I used copper plated bb's back in the day. Start to air down and it wouldn't quit until I pulled the core to clear the chunks of copper. :haha:

wal-mart has the bulk 10000 packs for 14 bucks, its enough to do a set of tires that use 8oz. :awesomework:

So are the walmart bulk 10000 pack airsolf pellets the way to go? If so, I will be swinging by walmart and getting me a couple of these.

For guys running beadlocks, do the pellets help still?

Yes they do....most of the people talking about them here are running beadlocks.

I had Discount put some stuff in my last set and it worked great, but they want $15 a pack and my tires needed 2 packs each which is why Im looking for an alternative for my next set.