• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ball Joint wear

TQJ CJ5

Forgive me if this is a "newb"-esque question but...what is the most likely cause of lower ball joint wear? or ball joint wear in general?

background info:

Dana 44 front axle (Chevy-late 70's I believe). Pass drop, LP w/ 5x5.5 bolt pattern, 15x10" steel wheels (4" bs) and 38" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.

I went to get an alignment on Saturday morning and (granted, I don't know how I hadn't noticed this) the tech grabbed my wheel and rocked it back 'n' forth while everything else stayed completely still. Quite a bit of slop while the vehicle was raised off the ground. Could easily see the lower ball joint floppin around.

Just thought I'd ask about potential wear-causing factors to see if I could prevent having to regularily replace ball joints.

Terry

Any idea how old and what brand terry?

I used to go thru moog BJ's on my 44 in about 6 months--but that was due to hard abuse and full hydro steering. Swapped to Dana BJ's and they lasted a while...

couldn't tell ya what's in there right now but I'll be swapping in Dana joints.

interestingly enough, I really don't beat on my rig and don't have hydro steering (although I wouldn't mind getting set-up with at least hydro assist)

interestingly enough, I really don't beat on my rig and don't have hydro steering (although I wouldn't mind getting set-up with at least hydro assist)

Keeping then greased and making sure you squeeze out the water after wheelin will help.

Randys r/p has a good deal on spicers. I gotta do the BJ's on mine still

they got zerk fittings on them?

Balls joints arent gonna last forever with big tires. Im pretty sure the D44 ones are the same size as D30 ones :D

An alignment on a off road rig? get your self a tape measure!

I don't believe there are any fittings on the upper and lower balljoints from what I can see.

I'm just getting an alignment to get the rig back into 'square'. sure it'll go out again but since I drive to and from the trailhead (primarily Reiter), I'd like to have it as true as possible even if it is for only one outing...

What's the cause of wear? 38" tires.

When I actually wheeled alot I would get no more than 6 months out of my 44's balljoints, even spicers. (didn't try dana)

So, I opted to get whatever brand had a lifetime warranty at schmucks and got real fast at replacing them.

This is what can happen with unmaintained balljoints.
fathersday08039.jpg

fathersday08040.jpg

Stuck on the trail for 6hrs before giving it a temp fix to get cack to camp.
fathersday08044.jpg

I hate trail repairs. (Hate having to do them).

Gasman, that has to be staged. It it was a real trail repair you would be kneeling is 2 feet of mud.:redneck:

Latest posts