• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Basic Build-up for a PNW Offroad Rig?

Totalled said:
:hi:

And it has more room and is more comfortable to drive than a Wrangler, costs less to get into, and turns tighter. :stirpot: :D

How about--more windows to blow out :haha: :haha: :haha:

Jobless said:
The best place to start is with whatever you wheel.

From there, only experience and a desire to progress with this sport will define how you will build/modify you rig.

Simply posting a thread like this shows your complete ignorance towards wheelin and any noob will not find any useful info this this thread because what works for one may not work for another and everyone has a different idea of what wheeling is :rolleyes:

to a point - i can agree w/ your statement - wheel what you got. i did that for years, and made improvements / modifications along the way.

but for someone just starting out, and not to sure in the long run where they'll end up or wished they could be? and seeing many rig's already built on-line or in person out on the trails....... it couldn't hurt to Speak about it.

some Noo'bs might see the Cherokee out on the trails litterally walking up everything, but not see them bashing into the trees around a corner, some might see a toyota truck as the ticket, but not see the outcome in pocket book expense in the long run compared to a jeep Tj build?

it's kinda a touchy subject - for someone that already has gone from stock to mildly built to extreme make-over's on a rig. alot of people tend to spit out the famous statement, just build what ever you got as you learn or need it to do more....

while others might see a already built rig as the ticket & progress from there?

I myself, find the Zuk to be the perfect platform for me. heres why,

right from the start, a stock rig will have you out having fun!
cheap - very cheap to build / get into
lightweight
easily stripped down for open summer wheeling - no view obstructions -
& quickly buttoned back up for winter wheeling
can haul 4 - but w/2 people and tons of gear / stuff for a outback offroad adventure, your set.
very decent "little" rig for the northwest tight trails
great on fuel - parts - etc...

over the last few years, after market is out there & idea's are flowing in the Zuk departments. they have come a long ways. upgrades, motor replacements, gearing, axles, it's all out there & cheap too!

I guess alot has to do w/ what I'am asking - - -

what is that happy "Medium" for the perfect PNW wheeling rig.

Last edited:
theres a little bit to be said about happy mediums...
is your glass half empty?
is your glass half full?
does your glass need to be washed, filled and drank from till it reaches a happy medium?

to big a tire, you pay through the nose, but you gain clearance. too big a tire, you lose power at the tire, if your engines too small.

Too low a gear, you cant clean out a muddy tire. too high a gear, you cant pull the tire at all. Gearing at transfer cases and axles varies, so finding the right happy medium isnt easy, or the same for any two vehicles.

its all about the setup. what works for you might not work for me. the way i drive may be more agressive than someone else. or maybe not.

If the owner is happy with it, and it gets him/her and family home from the trip with enough emotional comfort to be satisfied, wheres the downside?

Be prepared, your view of wheeling utopia will vary.

this thread =:rb:

:flipoff: :haha:
I think for most the keyboard is the perfect weeling rig, ya'll might want to look at a Dell,Compact, or an IBM. :booo: :haha: :haha:

no excuses said:
this thread =:rb:

:flipoff: :haha:
I think for most the keyboard is the perfect weeling rig, ya'll might want to look at a Dell,Compact, or an IBM. :booo: :haha: :haha:

:haha: :cool:

My Zuk at 100" WB has made the tight trails of the PNW fun again, with selectable lockers, hydro assist, and front digs, it can turn on a dime!!

My 3rd gen. toy on the other hand made me wanna jump off a cliff, constantly locking, unlocking the hubs, fighting the steering wheel, never turned worth a ****, not that I really expected it too....

briejer said:
I'm all for a TJ. Minor suspension mods and you have a nice linked suspension that gives great traction(no axle wrap) and good approach angle.

Anything with leaf springs in the front mess up th aproach angle drastically.

X23456789

There are so many variables, just like many have said...

What do you like to wheel
What do you want to haul in it
Where do you want to go
Trailer?
etc.

Last edited:
to me i think its all in the size a rig for moderate wheeling thats still a decent rig is a cj,yj,tj,sami,shortbed stan cab yota, any mini truck with solid axel propane or fulie system, low gears and like a q78 tsl or 38 irok with beadlocks and a winch and your done and some t-case reducer underdrive or duals or atlas/stak with multiple selections

Things I value are a short wheelbase to make it through the trees/atv trails, winch on a reciever to move around or front and rear winches, diesel motors are the best if you are not a mud slinger fan, torque is more valuable than hp in the woods, great mpg, bio diesel possibilities, the feeling of compression slowing you down and not using the brakes, no carburator! You definately need diff guards, t case skid, tank skid, nerfs, bumpers etc. I am very partial to removable exo cages. Discs front and rear.

LWB samurai convertable, hydro assisted toyota power steering, full tube cage bumpers sliders, roof rack, F/R winches, OBA, OB welder, OB AC power ports, 4 link coils or coil overs, Chromoly shafts all around (maybe toy axles), 35X10.50's, ARB's, GRSII with 2wd low, 4.88's and a 1.9L turbo or NA diesel since there are a few swap kits to choose from,.

A bobbed 1st gen 4 runner SFA of coarse or a shortened WB X cab toy doved F/R, hydro assist, eliminators, 5.29's, dual cases, ARBs or e lockers, 4 link coils coil overs, 41X12.50 Michelin mil spec tires, 4cyl cummins or 4.3 V6. Or a convertable cruiser with factory diesel with gears, chromoly, etc etc

A jeep CJ TJ body with nothing else from a jeep would be cool or a 2dr cherokee 100" wb on the body with a custom canvas top, d44's or 60's, diesel, and all kinds of other good stuff.

crash said:
How about--more windows to blow out :haha: :haha: :haha:
:kiss:

windowbar.jpg

or

nemisus.jpg

Harvester of Sorrow said:
It is all about the dimensions...not the vehicle type. Any vehicle can be conformed to fit the dimensions...

100-110" wheelbase
76" bulge to bulge width
22" or more frame to ground dimension
less than 80" vehicle height
60* or better approach and departure angles
50-50 weight split

Anything else is debatable...The above platform will create a stable vehicle that will flat out perform.

Coil, leaf, 1/4 eliptical, linked...all up to preference and fab capabilities...

Engine, tranny, final drive gearing can be argued for days...

The vehicle should be geared and powered so that it can traverse forest roads safely at speed, yet slow enough over obsticles to tackle them...

The above dimensions will allow you to run any trail...if the rest of the vehicle is set up accordingly. Without the proper foundation...any build will be like gravy on a hotdog...worthless.

You can make anything work, but I think your on to something there(yes my rig matches those dimensions).:clappy:

Latest posts