• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Battery Cut-off Switch

wimpykid

Beware the Skinny Pedal
Was wondering if anyone runs their winch power through their battery cut off switch?

Reason for asking is, I'm gonna rear mount my battery and have positive and negative terminals through the firewall for starter and winch. My thoughts were to come off the positive terminal or straight from the battery to a cut-off switch for ignition and accessory power. I currently do not have a cut-off switch.

Yup, same.

I like to use a remote solenoid with dual cutoffs, incab and where the copilot/winch guy can reach it.

I'm doing the same on my rig. I will not be running my winch through the cutoff switch. I'm using a blue sea switch. It's rated for 300 amps continuous and a good bit more for short intervals. I still won't trust it to handle the winch load. The winch has its own power and ground direct to the battery.

Yes, I run the winch through my cutoff.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-830050

sum-830050_w.jpg

tonybolton said:
Is 275amp a do-able switch/fuse amount to use as a main cut off? I've got access to a few of those.

Not for a winch IMO. Fine if you cut it wit no load, but to cut a winch under load, it takes a bunch.

I use this in my rig.
WARN #62132
97e6d96e6d46ede80c8ead07df033579.jpg

I run batter battery to solenoid then to fuse block & fused switch panel

1ed5f9b79edf449020966ccbe4dd34ef.jpg

Flip one toggle and it kills everything.
Winch is straight to battery. I got rid of the solenoids and use a contactor.

Thanks for the advice. I've found a few cut-offswitches rated for 400 to 500 amps continuous and the price is reasonable. I'll check out the ones y'all have mentioned and go from there.