• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Battery/Electrical Gurus - Paging Crash and Jobless

Freeride

My TJ is setup with dual: http://www.exideworld.com/products/marine_rv/orbital_deep_cycle.html I have a big dial perko type selector switch that selects between "battery 1", "battery 2", "both", or "off". I've been running them for around 6 months with no problems. I generally switch back and forth between batteries every couple weeks to keep them both charged up. A few weeks ago I had my TJ in the shop for a week or so while I did some projects on it. In the meantime I ran one of the batteries all the way dead using the radio. I figured this wouldn't be a problem because they are deep cycle batteries. After the project was complete, I switched over to the good battery and started up the rig. Then I switched back to the dead battery to allow it to charge up. After a week of daily driving, the battery still hadn't charged up. It barely cranks over the Jeep enough to start it up, but definitely is not charging. Running voltage is 13.9 volts, so I believe the alternator is fine. Also for the last week I switched over to the "good" battery that I never discharged, and have been running on that. The alternator is keeping that battery charged even through multiple winching sessions, convincing me that the alternator is good.

So here's my question. It appears that these deep cycle batteries are not designed for rapid charging, per this: http://www.exideworld.com/pdf/exide_orbital_battery_technical_information.pdf It looks like 30 amp charging for 1 hour is the max, and never for deeply discharged batteries. My factory alternator is a 65 amp model I believe. So did I kill the battery by completely draining it and trying to charge it with the alternator? Should I have trickle charged it?

This is making me rethink my whole dual battery setup. My goal was to DD and trail run on either 1 of the batteries and only switch over to both batteries during HEAVY winching. Also, if I ever drained a battery overnight, I though I could switch to the charged battery and start it up, and then switch back the dead battery and charge it. But that doesn't sound like it's an option.

Sorry for the novel.

Ive got one of those batteries, they dont like to be discharged very low at all.... Put it on a trickle charger for a couple for a couple days and it'll come right back to life though. :;

When you say switch back over to the other battery and charge it, do you mean charging it with the alternator?

Did you try charging it with a battery charger? I've never thought of alternators as good battery chargers.

I have been running the very same setup for about 6 years now and just this last weekend I found one of my optima's are going dead. I ALWAYS keep the selecter switch on dual so both batteries are "always" fully charged and figured I would turn the dial only if ONE battery was to be brought down by a load to save the second one for the backup.

I would take that battery out --totaly 100% discarge it and then trickle charge it and see how it reacts--Personally I think you just have a bum battery...

But I like how mine/your battery setup is---Plus I can weld easily with how mine is setup...

It will probably charge back up with a trickle charge. IF it doesn't, and you take it back, DO NOT tell them that it was in a vehicle with an alternator. It will void any and all warranties. Tell them it was in your boat.

Glenn said:
When you say switch back over to the other battery and charge it, do you mean charging it with the alternator?

Did you try charging it with a battery charger? I've never thought of alternators as good battery chargers.

Yes.

No. I'll give the battery charger a shot.

crash said:
I have been running the very same setup for about 6 years now and just this last weekend I found one of my optima's are going dead. I ALWAYS keep the selecter switch on dual so both batteries are "always" fully charged and figured I would turn the dial only if ONE battery was to be brought down by a load to save the second one for the backup.

I would take that battery out --totaly 100% discarge it and then trickle charge it and see how it reacts--Personally I think you just have a bum battery...

But I like how mine/your battery setup is---Plus I can weld easily with how mine is setup...

Yeah I'll drain it out and then trickle charge it. I really like the setup, the only downside was I thought I could discharge one battery entirely and then charge it up in the rig with the alternator, which doesn't sound possible now.

Freeride said:
Yeah I'll drain it out and then trickle charge it. I really like the setup, the only downside was I thought I could discharge one battery entirely and then charge it up in the rig with the alternator, which doesn't sound possible now.

Depends on the battery--I have been doing it with optima's for years and the one that is going dead is like 5-6 years old..

Ive been hearing the newer Optimas are starting to suck, any truth to that? Does anyone know? Ive got one in my truck, but its a fairly older one that I just took out of the wrapper, havent had any problems with it yet, then again, its just a daily driver with no real loads.

~T.J.

EDIT: Oh, and where did you guys get those selector switches? I plan on running dual batteries eventually as well. I saw Crashs setup at the clean up and liked it, but Ive never seen where I could buy one...

You can get them thru Napa TJ--also do a google search and there are a few places online to get them also...

crash said:
You can get them thru Napa TJ--also do a google search and there are a few places online to get them also...

Perko is a marine brand and just about any boat supply has them. I have even seen them at GI joes

Sounds like you allready got some good advice John...but...I would ditch the 2nd battery, isolator switch and 65A Alt and replace it all with a high out put alternator.

I started out w/dual batteries a long time ago...just to find out that it did nothing but take up space, add weight and make things more complicated than they really needed to be. And yes, I had lights, stereo, was always winching myself and friends and never had an issue with just running a single battery.

D'oh, I was skimming and missed the brand apparently, normally I wouldnt be that helpless, lol. Thanks anyway!

~T.J.