• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

beadlock ?

Robinhood

I have a set of Walker Evens 17" beadlocks and 39.5 x 13.5 irocks. The problem I am having is if I run below 7 psi I blow the inner bead pretty easy. I would like to run 5 psi but then I have to reset beads all day. I bought the rims used so I don't know how wide they are, but the tires seem to have a good bulge to them. Are the rims too wide for the tire, or is this common? Thanks, John

As far as I know, all Walker Evans wheels come in only one width.
I have three sets of beadlocks, some Walkers, some Trailreadys, and some converted steel wheels (done by Trailready).

I don't think your wheels are too wide.
I don't think it's a common occurance for the tires to loose inner beads at 5psi.

If I were a guessing man, I'd guess that over time, prior to you owning those tires, the inner beads got 'gunk' in them, and they simply need to be cleaned well.

My Walkers have a 'huge' hump that secures the inner bead. Getting them dismounted is a PITA.

I mounted the 39.5s on the rims and I know they were clean when I put them on, and I only have a few runs on them, but I can check now.

Larry's the expert.....I'm just the guy that gets it all done.

Anywho.....Sadly the issue is with the tire itself. The IROC is notorious for having "loose" beads. The Walker has the most aggressive inner bead in the industry. It measures a towering .100 high and has an acute edge that the bead butts up against......great design:cool: (Still a Chinese wheel though)
The rest of the industry,including us, have a safety bead that measures .060 high. I would like to see our mold changed to a taller inner bead. Upon request I have sharpened our bead to mimic the W.E. wheel....thats how my personal wheels are. I never lose inner beads but I don't go below 6 psi.

The fact that you are having this issue and are useing W.E. wheels points the finger squarely at the tire. The best solution is get the inner beads locked or get Stauns/Inner Airlock. You could also try 3M polyurathane window adhesive...I've been told that **** works like a champ.

Good luck:beer: