• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Beadlocks on the street.

so, DOT beadlocks are ok? is that what you are saying.

this is a dead horse.

Somebody please show me a lift kit that is DOT approved.

my beadlocks are obviously DIY bead locks. and i have been told several times they are fine.

the hole DOT thing is a mute point.

this is a dead horse.

my beadlocks are obviously DIY bead locks. and i have been told several times they are fine.

Yes, wheels have to be manufactured to the DOT specs to be legal, lift kits don't :D

Legal? Illegal? Doesn't matter.

If you wreck your rig due to a wheel or tire failure, and are involved in an accident where someone is seriously injured or killed, then YOU ARE FAWKED. All (or nearly all) aftermarket beadlocks have a sticker (or notification) which clearly states NOT for highway use. The lawyers (if they are any good) will OWN your ass.

exactly, i just read i think on pirate, about some guy who sued his local 4X4 shop who sold the rims and the manufacturer cause he blew himself up tightening the bolts under pressure. guess a few broke and the resulting exolosion as he put it blew out his hearing. he won a bunch o money then went back to the same 4X4 shop and spent most of it on mods to his rig.....:looser:

this is a dead horse.

You sir, are dead wrong as per section 2 of this rcw.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.369

A little reading of the laws goes a long way.

You sir, are dead wrong as per section 2 of this rcw.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.369

A little reading of the laws goes a long way.
RCW 46.37.369

Wheels and front suspension.

</B>(1) No vehicle shall be equipped with wheel nuts, hub caps, or wheel discs extending outside the body of the vehicle when viewed from directly above which:

(a) Incorporate winged projections; or

(b) Constitute a hazard to pedestrians and cyclists.

For the purposes of this section, a wheel nut is defined as an exposed nut which is mounted at the center or hub of a wheel, and is not one of the ordinary hexagonal nuts which secure a wheel to an axle and are normally covered by a hub cap or wheel disc.

(2) Tire rims and wheel discs shall have no visible cracks, elongated bolt holes, or indications of repair by welding. In addition, the lateral and radial runout of each rim bead area shall not exceed one-eighth of an inch of total indicated runout.

(3) King pins or ball joints shall not be worn to the extent that front wheels tip in or out more than one-quarter of an inch at the lower edge of the tire.
Uhhh... huh?

Last time I checked DIY beadlocks required welding.
I suppose you have a point.

Of course the counter-point goes like this. EVERY factory steel wheel is welded, as they are a two piece design, with an exterior shell (that holds the tire) and an interior center.

A beadlock is not a "repair" to the wheel, but a manufacturing process.

I just emailed my buddy, he is a state trooper and is going to send me the RCW on it, I'll update once I get it. :D

All depends on the officers discestion IMO...

Get inner air locks if your that worried, be double beadlocked then, and DOT OK.

Good idea Jacob. Though Ive heard nothing but horror stories with those.

Its what I am going to go with when I do beadlocks, Jakob runs the staun version, and the only problem I have seen him have is that the tire rubs the tube when he airs down too low, but he runs bling'n 17's...

Its what I am going to go with when I do beadlocks, Jakob runs the staun version, and the only problem I have seen him have is that the tire rubs the tube when he airs down too low, but he runs bling'n 17's...

Does it on all tire sizes....
every body i know that has run the staun type beadlocks have hated them and went to traditional style.

some people like them...but some I've known over the years started out liking them, them realized when half the material inside the tire rubs off from friction exposing the cords, and in some cases rubbing thru the cords, rendering the carcass useless....they have gone back to traditional BL's...

RCW 46.37.369

Wheels and front suspension.

</B>(1) No vehicle shall be equipped with wheel nuts, hub caps, or wheel discs extending outside the body of the vehicle when viewed from directly above which:

(a) Incorporate winged projections; or

(b) Constitute a hazard to pedestrians and cyclists.

So all the Big Rigs with the "Cool as ****":cool: big ass spike lug nuts:cool: are Illegal?? They'd sure tear up a cyclist huh?

The DOT thing is all bull. If a cop wants to be a **** he will get you. But just think of all the things we (people on this site) have on their rigs that are not legal. Lights. Wheels. Bumpers. engine modifications. The list goes on. Hell you can even get a fine for having your plates secured by zipties!

IMO it all comes down to the area you are in, and how they choose to enforce the laws.

I break half the laws in the book and have not been pulled over, even living in brier with crazy strict cops. Yet people out in the sticks will get busted for tires that stick out a half inch to far.

If i were the OP, i would risk the ticket, and if you get one, fight it. I bet you can find a way around it.

So all the Big Rigs with the "Cool as ****":cool: big ass spike lug nuts:cool: are Illegal?? They'd sure tear up a cyclist huh?

Technically yes. I got hassled one time for mine at the Nisqually scale. When I asked a different dot officer about it, he laughed and said they actually hassled you for that!? Musta been a new guy!

truckspikes.jpg

Here's some info on beadlocks......First of all there is no law specifically about "beadlocks" legal or not. There is no state laws......There are federal laws..........
Here's a snip from National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966
-HEAD-
Sec. 30115. Certification of compliance

-STATUTE-
(a) In General. - A manufacturer or distributor of a motor
vehicle or motor vehicle equipment shall certify to the distributor
or dealer at delivery that the vehicle or equipment complies with
applicable motor vehicle safety standards prescribed under this
chapter. A person may not issue the certificate if, in exercising
reasonable care, the person has reason to know the certificate is
false or misleading in a material respect. Certification of a
vehicle must be shown by a label or tag permanently fixed to the
vehicle. Certification of equipment may be shown by a label or tag
on the equipment or on the outside of the container in which the
equipment is delivered.

Basically if the equipment isn't labeled as DOT approved then it's not. If you manufacture a wheel then it's up to you to label the wheel if it's to be used on the highway but in order to do so you would have to assure it meets all equipment standards.
Also I have found nothing that says millitary wheels are not legal if they have a DOT stamp..