• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bearings- press in or hammer in?

I'd use a press when/if possible but we all know thats not always the case so don't be afraid the grab the BFH.

For bearings that are a press-fit application, I use a press; for those that are a slip-fit application....pretty self-explanitory...:redneck:

They say that 90% of baring failure is inproper instalation

on that note I use what is close by

Hammer. I can "feel" when a bearing in in its home that way....

Me too. I dont trust the press to "feel" the bottom.

Ringer!

On a side note I tore one apart today that had been driven is so badly by a steel punch than it mushroomed the bearing race. Then the bearing spent its days trying to flatten out said race and then rattled half the bolts out of the diff in other places.

It ran long enough to actually crack the race all the way across. I have never seen a race broke till today.

Guess what? the crush sleeve was still tight and doing its job, even though the ring gear was bad, bolts were falling out and three bearings had damage.

I have had a couple bearings (good quality) chip during install but when you do hundreds a few are bound to do that.

I also have like 6 do this back when randy's were using china bearings....

I prefer a press. But will use a hammer when necessary. Hell I did my tcase gears with nothing but a piece of tube, flat plate, hammer and vise.

When I was rebuilding an Arnesson surface drive, and having problems with the bearings, I called them to ask what their trick was, and they said they actually dipped the housing in 300 degree oil to preheat the housing (making it expand) and they would keep the bearing races in a deep freeze (to make them shrink). Bring the two together and they would drop right into place. But you had to be quick about it!!

That said. I press when I can, I hammer if I have too.

press for me. for all you hammer installers, go into your kitchen and set the bearings on your coffee makers heating pad, warm them up real good and they will expand a small amount and nearly drop right into place. then a quick beat down and ur done with less chance of chipping or cocking the bearing. ive fixed enough bad differential that had the bearings beat on that were slightly crooked and created a bur that cocked the beaings and destroyed the races. most of these appeared to bur right near the first part of the install and would have been avoided by preheating the bearing.

press for me. for all you hammer installers, go into your kitchen and set the bearings on your coffee makers heating pad, warm them up real good and they will expand a small amount and nearly drop right into place. then a quick beat down and ur done with less chance of chipping or cocking the bearing. ive fixed enough bad differential that had the bearings beat on that were slightly crooked and created a bur that cocked the beaings and destroyed the races. most of these appeared to bur right near the first part of the install and would have been avoided by preheating the bearing.

How is heating my wheel bearing races going to help me install them in the wheel hub?

Cool the races & heat the wheel hub T....
I don't know why when a bearing is pressed in, people don't trust it being seated completely...it's not hard to tell when it is seated in a press. To me, for consistency, I would not trust the hammer method (have I done it? Yeah--many many many times... yeah, you can hear it bottom out persay...) as the potential for slight rebound against the seating surface is way higher using the hammer... If you have a press at your disposal, why would you not use it???

When driving wheel bearing races, you can use a old race with a tiny bit ground off the outside to drive your (preferably frozen) new race in place.
Set a chunk of steel on top of the old race and wack with BFH.

Or just use the press if at home.