• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Beginner welder

Tlh89

Looking to buy a beginner welder as I'm needing one to work on my junk a lot lately. My bro in law has bought a rig so we are going split a welder. What would you recommend on a budget? We have been looking at the Hobart Handler 190. It will mainly be used for a little cage work here and there and stuff like that. Any advice?

nothing wrong with a hobart 190 any box store or farm/ag store carries parts and consumbles. get it and start learning, you wont regret it!

I started with a Hobart 140 and ran it for 6-7 years and built several rigs with it. For the thicknesses we deal with most commonly the 140 is going to be plenty. Only thing I ever replaced on it was the tips...otherwise it was perfect. I just recently upgraded to a Miller 211 simply because I had some extra cash and they had a good deal on it.

Like they've already said...one of the best things about the Hobart 140 or 190 is that you can ride down to Tractor Supply and buy consumables whenever you need them. Without a doubt you will burn your last tip Friday night at 8:55pm and if you have a premium machine you'll be stuck waiting until Monday for parts.

I started off with a hobart 140 and loved it, been a beast, but for the money and someone whos not a pro and tinkers ya cant beat the harbor freight 170. Its 220 and uses gas or flux, little bit of a pain to get dialed in, only 169 bucks on sale right now, yeah its cheap but i bought it and my brother does all my welding and he loves it,hobart rarely gets used any more, my cousin is a professional welder/fabricator and he says it welds good, only drawback is that is only uses 2lb spools but ya can rig up 10lb if need be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with a Lincoln 140 from Lowe's and it goes on every wheeling trip. It's a lot easier to find 110 than 220 at a campsite. Set the wire feed around 1.5 and the heat on E, then just be patient and go slow. The biggest issue with welders and the small welders is they try and turn the speed up because they're impatient and it welds like crap. Just slow down and it'll burn hot enough for 95% of anything you'll ever need.

I had a Hobart Ironman 230, and hated it. It wouldn't weld consistently no matter how hard I tried dialing it in. I even had a few friends try it to make sure it wasn't just my learning curve. After that experience, I just wouldn't own another Hobart welder. My Lincolns have always welded great, and it's what the local welder shop is most familiar with which is another thing to consider.

The wife bought me a 256 for Christmas a couple years ago because I was tired of chipping flux. I still end up using the 140 from time to time as the head is smaller and fits in tight places a little easier. I would highly suggest the small Lincoln for the above stated reasons, you can run to lowes and grab anything you need for it on the spot.

If you go with the Hobart 190, check out their refurbished website. They seldom have one in stock but there is an email update thing they do. They emailed me that one was available a couple days after I ordered one. By the way, if you go new, I ordered from Blains Farm and Fleet. No tax and when it was on sale it was shipped cheaper than TSC runs it on sale.

You can't go wrong with any of the big three. All my friends with hobarts that have been issue free, Ive had my Lincoln 180 for probably 12 years now and Miller is obviously one of the best. I got mine from Home Depot and all I have ever done is tips and a liner replacement in the gun (which is a wear item on any machine). The new autoset machines are pretty nice but once you get the hang of the settings not really needed if you don't want to spend the extra coin on them.

The most common entry level welders for off-road are Hobard, MIller and Lincoln in the 175-180 range.
Stay away from the Home Depot models, they use cheaper components (at least they used to).
My home depot Lincoln 175 has cheaper rollers and possibly a cheaper liner, it doesn't always feed smoothly.

If you're on a tight budget I've used a Lincoln 140 (210 V) a few times and it was plenty.

If you have a bit extra budget and want a machine that'll last forever, the auto set Miller 210+ size are awesome.
The size is great for everything off-road and the auto set feature is great for beginners.
As you get more experienced you'll probably start using your own settings and really take advantage of it's ability to weld thicker metal.