• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Belly skid....alum or uhmw

mgiles

Which do y'all like uhmw or alum going on a Smith Buggy. I had a local guy price me a 4'x4'x1" uhmw and damn near fell out. Who sells it affordable?? Thanks

I've used 3/8" aluminum with 3/8" UHMV with good success. I'm going to be putting the same setup on WFO if I ever get it unloaded from Dixie Run.

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

GONOVRIT said:
I run both. 3/4 uhmw with 1/4 aluminum, wish I'd gone 3/8 or 1/2 on the aluminum. You can't beat the uhmw for sliding over rocks.
This

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:

hjpcummins said:
We're is everyone buying from.

McMasterCarr

This is what I used on the boatside and skid...
DSCN1643.jpg

Bought my recycled UHMW from Zoro.com, they had a free shipping deal if over $100 when I ordered. Had to sign a liability waiver so they could chuck it off the truck into my yard since I don't have a loading dock. ;D

I use 1/8" steel, powdercoat it then use 1/2" UHMW, use a router to chamfer all of the edges.

I would *think* that 3/16 or 1/4 AR500 steel plate would be superior to Aluminum or UHMW for sliding-on-rocks ability, and durability.

Might be a dumb question but wouldn't aluminum flex to much to be skit plate? Unless it was braced on the other side really well if you bounced hard seems like it would could flex up? I plan on steel because 1) it's low weight 2) it's cheaper. Just my .02 w/ a dumb question.

Ok my thought process on the skid plate design is, you want it to be strong not break or bend to far but you want some cushion and flex to take some of the shock away when you frame out on rocks. Aluminum can bend and get chewed up but not as quick as uhmw. Uhmw takes out more of the shock but will wear out faster than aluminum. Steel and aluminum can both be flattened back out.

al1tonyota said:
Ok my thought process on the skid plate design is, you want it to be strong not break or bend to far but you want some cushion and flex to take some of the shock away when you frame out on rocks. Aluminum can bend and get chewed up but not as quick as uhmw. Uhmw takes out more of the shock but will wear out faster than aluminum. Steel and aluminum can both be flattened back out.

So it's more beneficial to bouncers/buggies than like the crawlers correct?

Re:

Marc zaboth runs 3/4" uhmw with 1/4" alum plate backer. Been running that for years and holds up well. And he wheels the chit out of his rig.

Backer thickness depends on the span opening too, buddies buggy recently went to 3/16 A514 because the 1/8" hot rolled was stretching too much.