• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bending Jeep Corner Gaurds?

Yes, a Brake press is the proper tool. I doubt a sheet metal shop with have any die with that big of a radius, but you never know.

The are all sorts of calculations to figure it all out, but like was mentioned, you can make a low-production set pretty easy. Find a pipe or tube (heavy wall or even solid) with the right OD to match the inside radius of the part your after. Then find, build or machine a bottom die with a 3/16" bigger radius.

You can get fancy any make it all up with guild rails and the such, but for very low production, or proof of concept, mount the top die in your hydraulic shop press, center the bottom die as best as you and clamp it down, then make some test strips to try it out, and figure out were top put some material stops to get the correct "tail" on the wrap around.

Jack it down, bottom out the dies and max out the press and check the fit. Should be pretty close. Any spring back could probably be fixed by hand if its only 4" wide.

Full height (width) would need a much bigger press than most peoples shop press. Best left to a pro. shop.

If you don't want to make a die set, and you can't find a shop with the right radius it *can* be made with multiple smaller bends. The more the smoother the radius (after all a arc is made up of infinite strait lines :D). Will probably give you a ribed look, which might be cool, or look like ass.

We bend stuff like that all the time at work, but its usually 3/8" to 3/4" material. We have a 400 ton brake press. What we do it mark the beginning of the bend and end of the bend. Then, put lines every 1" or so. Hit every line with the press until you get the desired radius, usually hitting the middle lines multiple times. :redneck:

Hey Clark if you decide to do this I will be interested in a pair for my flatty. I believe its the same radius at as a cj5

This is standard press brake work. Any sheetmetal shop can do it. Those are formed in a single stroke, not bump formed. The dies are non-standard, but shops fab up tooling for projects like that all the time.

If you're thinking of one-offing a pair to save cash, forget about it.

I would be interested in A set for A cj7 non comp cut with A 3" flare. Are you thinking about adding flares also?:cool:

I was just going to make myself a set. But with all the interest i'm going to look into sourcing out the bending and making a bunch. If i start producing these i'll be sure to let you guys know and i will make a for sale thread as well. Adding flairs would be doable for sure, just add onto the price is all.:awesomework:

clark

I think there is interest, as you said shipping is what kills it for several people.
You of course know that a lot that say they want some wont if they have to pay for them!:;
Now that my discloser is out there, I have wanted a set for my scrambler, but have not put forth the cash yet...:redneck:

I'm surprised Duck dodgers hasn't poked in here yet with interest:stirpot:...his is an '01...

the radius really isnt too much and the comp cut would be very easy with the heated method, smaller area to heat/bend. Ive been thumbing this idea for a while now. i still think screwin up on one sheet of 3/16ths and learnin from it, and tryin again, will be cheaper than buyin and shippin for those ungodly prices. Always try and do the REAL jeep thing and build em urself damn it!

Latest posts