• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best Brand of Spray Paint

CarnationSensation

I am looking for your input on the best BRAND of spray paint you guys have been using around here in the NW. What has held up the best to the wet conditions of the NW?
What are you doing for prep work?
I usually sand or wire wheel down to bare metal and then use a degreaser of some kind to clean the surfaces. Is this enough prep work? I dont care how shiny or smooth my paint is, just want it to stay on. I do a couple coats of primer too but it always seems to ware down to the metal and start geting surface rust in about 2 moths after painting...Im talking about body panels taht dont usually see much abuse or rubbage on anyhthing. I know the parts im bashing against trees and rocks aint gunna hold paint long.
I am either using shitty paint (Rust stop usually) or just am not doing a good job at my prep work.

What are your thoughts? I am no painter and have no knowledge of good painting techniques (if there are any with spray cans).

Are there brands better than othes? What is your favorite spray paint brand?

Thank you :beer:

I've had good luck with the Rustoleum "Hard Hat" cans. Sand to scuff and smooth, usually do a primer, spray the color while the primer is not fully dry seems to help best.

Just like the paint can says, do a "fog" coat first to get the paint to stick and start the color, then I like to do a heavy, almost runny coat to get a "shine". Can last a few years before it starts to flake.

Last truck I did I used Rustoleums "X2" paint. Supposted to have twice the coverage per can. Seems to be pretty high solids. I liked the results, but did very mininal prep work. Has held up OK but its only been a couple months, not years.

Even with rattle cans, the better the prep work, the better the end result. Every time I do it I swear I'd never paint another truck with rattle can. To do a whole truck with a decent coverage its a fair amount of paint (and primer). But then I go and do it again. Its just hard to beat the convinance.

Seen this thread a few times....

X2 on Rustoleum. I got the industrial size cans for free while working at fastenal many years ago, now its the only paint I use.

that rustoleum is pretty durable for a spray paint but i get impatient waiting for it to dry. krylon has always had my vote. i think if your gonna sand it all down perfect and do multiple coats you should consider somethin that goes on with a brush instead.

I've used every major brand and had great success with all of them but I've used rustoleum the most lately due to their superior nozzles and color selection.

Prep will make all the difference unless you are using walmart brand **** paint. That crap is garbage.

Ok so its sounding like most people prefer or like the Rustoleum. Im gunna give this a shot.
Now who has found it cheap and where?
Im assuming Lowes and Home depot would have it but most likeley not the best price possible. I dont even have a NAPA in my town so going to my local auto store is out of the question.

Just rolled my rig. Going to be doing a cab swap so i figure this will be the best time to give her a new paint job.

Thanks for your input and advice. Hopefully it will warm up here in the next few weeks so i can use my carport spray booth :redneck:

Tacoma Screw brand or the MRO they carry. There the same. If you use it with there primer a bead blaster has a hard time getting the stuff off!

Tacoma Screw brand or the MRO they carry. There the same. If you use it with there primer a bead blaster has a hard time getting the stuff off!

x2, love the MRO, I've gotten the stuff through IBS. Takes a while to dry, but it hardens like a mother once it is set. Not a good color selection though. Just a good industrial paint.

where did the NAPA go that was in Carnation just south of the QFC??
Probably just didn't do enough business to stay open.

McLendon's (Woodinville) is were I got the Rustoleum X2. Haven't seen if its was common at HD or Lowes. IIRC $3.50-$4.00 per can. Not cheap but not bad.

Did a good job of making a puke black/brown truck dark blue in one coat. And other than some flaking from prep (quick sand and paint, barely even washed it, no decent prep), I've been happy so far.

Rustoleum "hard hat" used to be Lowes or HD or a little more $$ at McLendons, but limited colors and L and HD they change their crap so often I don't know what they have now.

Walmart $1 a can crap. Cheap, holds up as good as anything else and covers the same as a can costing much more money provided you stay away from red/orange/yellow. Krylon the rest of the time.

99cent walmart then hit it with a torch while it's in the sweet spot between large fireball and dry. You have "Spanaway Powdercoat"! :redneck:

When doing large projects I buy a gallon of the Rustoleum Oil Based, mix in a tad of mineral spirits to thin, and shoot through a cheap POS gun. It's cheaper and easier on the button finger. Plus that **** will stick to anything.

99cent walmart then hit it with a torch while it's in the sweet spot between large fireball and dry. You have "Spanaway Powdercoat"! :redneck:

When doing large projects I buy a gallon of the Rustoleum Oil Based, mix in a tad of mineral spirits to thin, and shoot through a cheap POS gun. It's cheaper and easier on the button finger. Plus that **** will stick to anything.

That's how I did the black on the bus... Eazy Peazy...:awesomework:

Dupli-Color is my can of choice...parts of my rig is painted with it, and can't hardly tell!!! :redneck:

My vote is for Hammerite. Sand it, wipe with lacquer thinner, prime and paint. You wont have to touch it for years, its not cheap but in my opinion its the best on the market. You can find at ACE, True Value and McClendons.