• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best deer/elk rifle?

Sorry Tony, but gotta go with jeepasauresrex on this one.

The .270 is a awsome all around cartrage. Fast and flat.......

No one in my family has eveer had a animal run farther then 50 yards after being shot. Watched my daughter drop a deer at 350 yards in it's tracks, Ask her, she will more the likely tell you the whole story.

Those that say you need "Knock Down Power" are normally the ones that need a "penis extetions" to make them selfs feel better about them selfves :fawkdancesmiley:

Its all about shot placement and ability to make the proper shot.......

I passed on a nice deer this year because I could not get the proper shot placement. The animal we hunt deserve more then a "Marginal" shot.....

I am starting to use my .257 Roberts more though. Used it for Antelope this past season and was impressed with it even more then ever. We took 8 out of 10 antelope with it and it did it's job well. Have a freezer to prove it :haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

My son with this years buck. Single shot through both lungs at 300 yards. Ran 30 yards and folded over.
deerseason2010051.jpg

My daughter reloading for our .270's
reloading002.jpg

One of her deer she has taken.
Rashellsfirstdeer011.jpg

My buck from 2008.
2008HuntingSeason006.jpg

These are just some of the animals taken with a single shot from a .270 and none were under 300 yards.

Not to high jack a thread but a .270 drops a lot more than 2 inches at 500 yards, we're talking feet at that distance. Any ballistic chart will show that. Any "normal" hunting round starts to lose a lot of energy around 350 yards. Sure a .270 will kill a deer at 500+ yards but you better know down to a couple of yards the distance. You won't be able to hold dead on if you're sighted in 2" high at 100. Nice deer, good shot. A .270 is what I used for deer/elk for years.

I happened to have the 2008 Shooter's Bible sitting here by my recliner. It shows a drop at 400 yards from 18-28 inches, depending on the particular factory load. The table in that reference does not go beyond 400 yards.

The only exception was some managed recoil rounds which drop about 38" at 400 yards.

Last edited:
Not to high jack a thread but a .270 drops a lot more than 2 inches at 500 yards, we're talking feet at that distance.

Lets try thing again... re-read my post and come back and fix what you said. :fawkdancesmiley:

We're also shooting Hand loads. 56gr of H4831 pushing 130gr Berger VLD bullets. The VLD's were designed for long range shooting and have a better bullet coefficient than bullets like Noslers, etc.

Last edited:
Lets try thing again... re-read my post and come back and fix what you said. :fawkdancesmiley:

We're also shooting Hand loads. 56gr of H4831 pushing 130gr Berger VLD bullets. The VLD's were designed for long range shooting and have a better bullet coefficient than bullets like Noslers, etc.

Im very interested in seeing this bullet drop 2" in 500 yards...I have access to a very safe private place to shoot between 100-800 yards with 2'x2' steel targets. I have become facinated with long rang shooting in the past few years. My personal gun is acurate to 650 yards (7mm beretta tikka t3, 4.5x14 leupold with yardage and windage clickers). I've also shot the weatherby 30-378 modified my thompson long range shooting to 800 yards.

I shoot a Howa 1500 chambered in .270 Winchester. Between my Dad and I we have dropped everything from Elk, Deer, Bear, Grouse (poof!) you name it with the .270. Its all about shot placement. The .270 is a very accurate round and you can put the shot where you need it. The problem with guns like the 30-06 is that at longer ranges the bullet will drop faster than the .270. For example, for me to hit dead on at 500yds with my .270, I am shooting 2" high at 100yds. A 30-06 is almost 5" high at 100yds to hit the same point. I'm not knocking the 30-06, its a great round. I killed my first deer with one. But if I had a choice, I would go with a .270. The 30-06 would be my second followed by the .300 Win Mag. :cool:

Note the neck shot. That was the only shot I had at him. The range was 110yds.

What the fawk are you guys moaning about?:eeek:It's called reading comprehension, I think they teach it in 2nd grade..............................

Mine is a basic Howa 1500, the exact same gun is a Weatherby Vanguard. In my opinion, its one of the best out-of-the box shooters out there. My Dad and Wife both shoot Remington 700's and this gun out performs them both. The barrel is heavier, and the trigger is crisper. My gun does weigh more, but I think its a fair trade. Shooting off a bi-pod, I can net sub MOA groups all day long @100yds. I did spend a lot of time at the range shooting different bullets with different powder loads to find what works best with this particular gun. I found that backing the powder load down about half a grain produced tighter groups. It's not uncommon for us to go to the range and fire 150 test rounds. Usually load up 10 rounds of each load to get a good average with the chronograph. The next day my shoulder reminds me of what I did the previous day, but hey. Its worth it.

I do want to get this stock for my gun though. I have free floated my barrel and receiver with the factory stock, but this one features recoil reduction.

howa223.jpg

Last edited:

If you're aiming 2" high at a hundred yards and hitting dead on at 500 (your words):D then you must have sighted in 36 inches high at 100 to only have to hold 2 inches over. 500 yd shots are certainly achievable but most people dont realize how far that is and how much a bullet drops and wind affects it. Nice shooting system you have. I have a Howa in .243 for deer that works very well. Back on topic.:hi:

Last edited:
I have killed lots of deer with the 270 great gun, but my new favorite is 257 wby, point blank range is great with this gun but as with all guns shot placement is what matters. Find the gun that you like and can shoot well and it will do the job:awesomework:

If you're aiming 2" high at a hundred yards and hitting dead on at 500 (your words):D then you must have sighted in 36 inches high at 100 to only have to hold 2 inches over. 500 yd shots are certainly achievable but most people dont realize how far that is and how much a bullet drops and wind affects it. Nice shooting system you have. I have a Howa in .243 for deer that works very well. Back on topic.:hi:

Haven't read all the posts yet. But from reading up on the .308 it looks like it would take about 32-36 MOA to reach 1000yds. So that is approx. 32-36" high at 100yds. You might want to rethink your post. As the .270 is alot flatter shooting then the .308.

Running a Ballistic Calculator says 8.6" high at 100yds to be dead on at 500yds.
Assuming that you are using factory Federal 140gr Accubond ammo.

But I would either grab a 30-06 or 300WSM for a one and only rifle. The WSM is a step up from the 30-06, but the good old 30-06 will do everything. When I had one rifle that was it, but since my safe started filling up I was able to add more specialized rifles.

If I was only allowed one rifle, I would probably pick up a .338federal though.